Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Researcher supportive of harm reduction approach

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Researcher supportive of harm reduction approach

Hi everyone,
    I am a public health researcher from Melbourne and I am an advocate for harm reduction approach for the smokers who tried thousands of ways to quit, but fail to do so. I have done research in that aspect and found that e-cigarettes were helpful for those people to stop smoking. I am keen to know more about this from the e-cigarette users. Hence, I have joined the forum to gain further understanding. Hope that I would be supported.
    Thanks.
    Aziz
    Noe, gert, Christian R and 7 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by draziz View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am a public health researcher from Melbourne and I am an advocate for harm reduction approach for the smokers who tried thousands of ways to quit, but fail to do so. I have done research in that aspect and found that e-cigarettes were helpful for those people to stop smoking. I am keen to know more about this from the e-cigarette users. Hence, I have joined the forum to gain further understanding. Hope that I would be supported.
    Thanks.
    Aziz
    No reason why not if you are genuine. What university or institution are you with? Please understand that this is a very controversial topic and vapers understandably feel as though what we do is under attack by government and public health sources. The more open you are about what and who you are the better the co-operation is likely to be. It's very difficult to get good information out to the general public because the press and other media much prefer a sensational story using bad science. A story "man gives up smoking" doesn't make for a good headline.

We're happy to answer any questions but you should probably start with the Royal College of Physicians report entitled "Nicotine without smoke".
    https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/projects...rm-reduction-0
    Next you would need to move on to much of Dr Konstantinos Farsilinos' work, some of which can be found referenced and documented here:
    Home
    Unfortunately Dr F is extremely busy with his work and doesn't keep the website as up to date as we would wish.

In particular Dr F is very good at detecting this bogus science and refuting it, though in a lot of cases the peer reviewed journals refuse to publish his work on replication of methodologies and showing why the results in the original work were flawed. Edit: Dr F considers this as censorship of these new studies. The establishment is not keen on having their dogma challenged. This is also the problem you will face.

Basically you've turned over a large rock and found... us.

Edit: It's possible you are already widely read on this topic and my suggestion of sources is redundant in which case I apologise. It's hard to know from your original post at which point you are starting from.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 10-05-17 at 01:31 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    As vapers, we are an incredibly diverse group - in terms of age & gender, ethnicity and culture, values & attitudes and we are happy to disagree about of lot of things ! but I think it is fair to say we share the common experience that vaping is helping/ has helped us to successfully give up smoking cigarettes... and that IS important to us. You only have to browse the New Vapers Forum to read the many positive stories of how vaping has improved lives - so welcome ! Do you Vape ?

Edit to add:

thanks to CrissCross who posted this short, sharp and powerful video from PragerU
    more at https://www.prageru.com/courses/poli...g-e-cigarettes
    Last edited by 1ynne; 10-05-17 at 05:49 PM.
    AllyP, blox4u, PATDACAT and 1 others like this.

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks.
    Aziz
    You must watch A Billion Lives it will show what we are up against! Money it's always about $$$$$$$$$$$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    draziz likes this.

AVF Regular
    I too, am intrigued as to why no stated affiliations, and I'm curious as to what you gain by joining a Vapers forum. I used my Google-Fu, and I'm guessing by your name and info supplied, that you're the lead researcher on this paper ?

PLOS ONE: E-Cigarettes and Smoking Cessation: Evidence from a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Seems like a well balanced approach, albeit a systematic review of some literature and a meta-analysis.

The UK have almost a decade's worth of data on Vapers, and various well qualified bodies have produced research papers advocating the use of e-cigarettes. I'm continually puzzled as to why various bods from public health in Australia feel the need to re-invent the wheel by conducting their own research. After all, I'm positive that smokers/vapers residing in the UK are the same species of homo sapiens as those that live in Australia. Vaping with nicotine is legal in the UK, USA and most of the EU. NZ has recently legalised the sale of e-liquid containing nicotine, I believe that this will come into effect in 2018.

Nicotine is legally available in Australia in cigarettes and various nicotine replacement therapies (NRTs) - all of which can be bought at a supermarket. NRTs have been approved for long term use. I'm sure you can understand my suspicion/disbelief as to why nicotine in the form of an e-liquid is STILL illegal in Australia. Sadly, I have to put the reason for that illegality, firmly at the feet of institutions responsible for public health in this country.

We have a situation where people are having e-liquid confiscated in QLD and who are facing fines for choosing to quit smoking by vaping. If you're a researcher who's interested in changing that situation, then I'm prepared to support and listen. If you're wanting more guinea pigs for further research and delays, then I'm not supportive, cheers FX

Hi everyone,
    Thanks.
    Aziz
    gert, Fatman, 1ynne and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks.
    Aziz

Yooo hoooo!

Please forgive the caution with which we view such approaches. Even media reporters offer more information than you have, before they eventually screw us over one way or another.

I'm surprised you wouldn't be aware of this, having researched as much about the vaping community's role in finding more effective ways to quit smoking, as you suggest you have.
    As you can see above, help is freely offered in order to educate anyone who wants to know.

Much, much work has been done already as you must be well aware, so give us a clue as to the extent of research you are currently at, and some idea just at what point we can exhale.
    Holding one's breath for good outcomes to such out-of-the-blue requests have been quite literally detrimental to our health thus far.
    Fatman, FXVaper and draziz like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Welcome to AVF, the cynic vaper's forum!
    Vaporific, Dhufish, Cat and 2 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Welcome to AVF, the cynic vaper's forum!
    Hi Noe, If you know Aziz, you could have done a bit of an intro and smoothed the way for him... Said Hello... or something.

I think any vaper's forum is likely to include plenty of cynics in the same week that a public health authority is seizing nicotine shipments.
    gtadmin, Fatman, btobw and 1 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Super Moderator
    Welcome Aziz .. as a few have already indicated, direction of intent goes a long way as to how the vaping community might approach you ... Sadly Public Health here in Australia ( well the more vocal, public face of it anyway) have been more concerned with their own agenda rather than helping vapers ( or smokers) in the way that we have found to cease smoking cigarettes .

Having said that however, I am sure if you expand a bit more on what you hope to garner from your visits here, then the vaping community of AVF can be far more trusting of your motives and possibly assist you in your research .. it really IS all about being honest and open ... and in doing so then you can hope to get a more honest and open dialogue as opposed to a knee jerk " Oh look , another one is here to throw us under the bus "
    The wider Australian vaping community has had a plethora of Public Health manipulation and selective data reporting that makes it wary .

History is against you sadly , but dont let that stop you from proving it wrong
    Noe, gert, gtadmin and 4 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Hi Dr Aziz.
    ...for the smokers who tried thousands of ways to quit, but fail to do so.
    ...I am keen to know more....
    You'll find most people around here fit in that category.

What do you want to know?
    Cat and draziz like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast