Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Scotocon
  • 1 Post By JakeFloyd
  • 4 Post By Scotocon
  • 1 Post By Fatman
  • 2 Post By Scotocon
  • 1 Post By Scotocon
  • 1 Post By fabricator4

Thread: New toy! BALROG Ex w/ Silo Beast

  1. #1
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    16

    New toy! BALROG Ex w/ Silo Beast

    Thanks to the goodness of GoldenChild and express posting, got to unbox and set up my new BALROG Ex and I'm a little excited; despite the bloke at my local b&m telling me it was all shit and I was dumb.



    Substantially more hefty and tactile than the Aspire Zelos, plus with the Beast tank I'm hoping a much more enjoyable D/L draw.

    As always, reviews online have taught me all the things missing from the supplied documentation... . You'd think with such complex gear, there would be a more in depth user guide that comes with it, but it doesn't even tell you what batteries to look for.

    Currently biding my time at work till I can hit up Jaycar for batteries - any advice on LiIon vs LiFe? Heading to Sydney on Wednesday, so can give it a decent trial on the drive from Canberra.

    In other news, was also told that my nic fluid was shit because it tasted peppery, and I need to order more...
    Cat likes this.

  2. #2
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Queensland Between Brisbane and Gold Coast
    Posts
    499
    Thats terrible a local store would say that , great set up happy for you👍 i think silo beast is one of the best clearos around i use herkales sub ohm. 6 oh coils great all day

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Cat likes this.
    Life is about choices. Some we regret, some we’re proud of. Some will haunt us forever. The message: we are what we chose to be.

  3. #3
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFloyd View Post
    Thats terrible a local store would say that , great set up happy for you i think silo beast is one of the best clearos around i use herkales sub ohm. 6 oh coils great all day
    Im taking most comments with a large bag of salt - one thing I have learned reading into vaping is if it's not about physical safety (battery charging, voltage/ohms/wattage, mixing nic) everything else is mostly personal opinion (flavours, hardware, MtL vs DL)

    He reckons the tank leaks like a sieve, and doesn't taste good. I'll make up my own mind, but regardless I'm thankful for the generosity of GC for the step up!
    ermoon2, helixx, Cat and 1 others like this.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Vic,up near the Murray
    Posts
    17,897
    I have the original Balrog and despite numerous PIF's etc I havent found it in my heart yet to give it away
    Its a solid nice beasty ... Your local B&M sounds more like they want your dollars than your respect
    JakeFloyd likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

    Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011


    AVF Rules , Read and understand them

  5. #5
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    ... local B&M sounds more like they want your dollars than your respect
    Yeah, I get that impression.

    It's funny - canberra is a small place, and it's the only dedicated vape store I can find.

    I've always judged a place by how they treat new blood - I don't see the point of being an arrogant fuckwit to people who want to learn, and want to spend money.

    I started a Swing Dance academy once upon a time, and it went ballistic because we didn't do the same elitist bullshit everyone else put on. But hey, you can't expect everyone to be confident and secure enough to be friendly....
    Fatman and rockmoose like this.

  6. #6
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    I buy lots of stuff from Jaycar, but I wouldn't buy 18650 or 26650 batteries from them.

    Have a look at battery mooches recommended batteries and pick something that suits they way you want to vape. Unfortunately with 26650's you don't really get higher constant current capabilities, but you may get higher capacity. Pretty well everything Mooch recommends will be an IMR or INR save chemistry battery (important).

    I mostly get batteries from VapeKing these days - they've always supplied me with authentic batteries in great condition. Supersports600 on ebay is also a very good source of batteries and will answer any questions you have about his batteries.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  7. #7
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I buy lots of stuff from Jaycar, but I wouldn't buy 18650 or 26650 batteries from them.

    Have a look at battery mooches recommended batteries and pick something that suits they way you want to vape. Unfortunately with 26650's you don't really get higher constant current capabilities, but you may get higher capacity. Pretty well everything Mooch recommends will be an IMR or INR save chemistry battery (important).

    I mostly get batteries from VapeKing these days - they've always supplied me with authentic batteries in great condition. Supersports600 on ebay is also a very good source of batteries and will answer any questions you have about his batteries.
    Ah.

    Well, um, I did the thing. I'll jump online and order a better battery set tonight, BUT I WANTED TO PLAY WITH THE NEW TOY!

    *Ahem*

    Anyways, all plugged in and ready to have the first draw. I am excited.
    fabricator4 likes this.

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotocon View Post
    Ah.

    Well, um, I did the thing. I'll jump online and order a better battery set tonight, BUT I WANTED TO PLAY WITH THE NEW TOY!

    *Ahem*

    Anyways, all plugged in and ready to have the first draw. I am excited.
    You probably got one of these:
    Lithium Lon Cylindrial Battery | Naccon Power Technology Co., Ltd.|NACCON BATTERY

    There are absolutely no specs on these batteries except the nominal voltage, capacity, and dimensions. Mostly likely to be an older technology ICR battery with a lower amp rating (we just don't know what it is). I think they are better than what Jaycar used to sell, but we have no idea what's in the can.

    I'd recommend you keep it below 10 amps (below 37 watts) until you can get something that you know will be happier at higher current drain. If the battery gets warmer than "just barely" then stop using it or turn the power down. It's a safety issue. Have fun, but be safe.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

  9. #9
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I'd recommend you keep it below 10 amps (below 37 watts) until you can get something that you know will be happier at higher current drain. If the battery gets warmer than "just barely" then stop using it or turn the power down. It's a safety issue. Have fun, but be safe.
    I completely respect and acknowledge that. Thank you!

    I've currently had a few draws at 25w, and I'll keep it there. I'll only be using it until Wednesday arvo, and I'll track down a better quality one in Sydney.

    I'm worried I wouldn't be able to feel a temperature increase through the heavy duty case - I've got the Zelos to fall back on, so maybe I'll just turn it off...

  10. #10
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toowoomba (West)
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotocon View Post
    I completely respect and acknowledge that. Thank you!

    I've currently had a few draws at 25w, and I'll keep it there. I'll only be using it until Wednesday arvo, and I'll track down a better quality one in Sydney.

    I'm worried I wouldn't be able to feel a temperature increase through the heavy duty case - I've got the Zelos to fall back on, so maybe I'll just turn it off...
    Well that was just my belt and suspenders caution talking. I'm fairly sure it it should be OK at 25 watts. Maybe pop the battery out after you've used it for bit just to check the first time. If it feels pretty normal then you are good.
    Cat likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 12:52 AM.