Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Need help with super throat pain please

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Question Need help with super throat pain please

Hi Guys,

I am hoping that you all and your extraordinary knowledge can help me troubleshoot getting rid of the feeling of inhales and exhales feeling like glass sandpaper rubbing on my throat!

First a couple important bits of info which will impact what I can do:

1. I live in remote NT with a 500km drive to the nearest small town (alice Springs) which doesn't have a vape shop. So no popping down to a chemist or speciality store for me.

2. Shipping to here takes a while, 7-10 business days from capital cities (depending on method).

3. Smokes cost an outrageous sum here - $35/25 pack or $70/gm tobacco. Therefore costs of kit etc isn't a huge matter as anything is more cost effective!

4. I am a confident "chemist" with a solid background in science (bach App Sci and part completed Vet Science) so formulae and DIY excite rather than scare me. Yup I am a weird chick!

Ok on to business!

First I wanted to thank you all and a special thanks for Noe for his noobie guide! I have been lurking here since mid april and have read a TON of great information (which starts to make more and more sense each time I read it haha).

Both myself and my partner are keen on quitting smokes and are firm believers in vaping as an excellent alternative. As per the noob guide I purchased 4 aspire pockex (plus lots of spare coils and some glass replacements), syringes, empty
    bottles, 50mg/ml in pg and vg bases, and a variety of flavours in 18mg/ml (dekang mixes and 2 vg only ones). It does seem that I neglected to add to my cart some 0mg vg and pg bases. (there was an issue with my order so when I did it the second time I wasn't as focused). Bad mistake there!

So, yesterday it all arrived so we gave it a crack. The BF loved it, looked like the Cheshire cat from alice in wonderland. No sore throat for him - happy as a clam (he does smoke a bit more heavily than I do but not by much). I on the other hand had one heck of a time. I am a MTL cig smoker (had to have a smoke to test that haha), but its only very briefly in the back of my mouth. I smoke champion ruby rollies with 50gm pouch lasting me 4-5 days on average. I don't get to smoke often with my hectic job, so I generally chain smoke before and after work consuming about 20-30/day.

Each draw on the machine was torture causing a coughing fit which at one point made me chuck. I changed how I was using it a few times from reading the various posts on the forum. The best I could get to was holding it in my mouth and then blowing it out my nose for the nicotine absorption but I am not able to get it out my nose all the time (mechanical issue in sinuses) and it hurts when its going out my nose.

I can also inhale a part draw to my lungs, ie I take a draw, put half out the mouth and then inhale the 1/3 left into my lungs. Hurts like heck through in my throat, especially coming out.I know I am getting the nicotine required via holding it in my mouth but it doesn't really address the psychological issues of habit.

I suspected that perhaps it was the base or the nic level so I adjusted what I could. Tried a few different flavours. Tried the VG only vanilla I had and it was marginally better. Bought some of the queens glycerine at the supermarket and mixed it down to 12mg/ml. Not much different than the 18mg VG (although I really should try a new coil thingy to be sure).

So after the mini book outlined above I am really desperate for some suggestions! I was thinking the next thing would be to try just the plain supermarket vg in a new coil and see how that feels. Should I add a bit of distilled water (as from what I read many vg have water as a proportion).

I would be ever so grateful for any suggestions or resources. I am not shy of buying different equipment etc if required, but there is a bit of a delay on arrival and would prefer to get this sorted . I have already noticed that even an evening and morning with no cigs I breathed a ton better while exercising and my house smelled a whole lot nicer.

If you have any recommendations as to the best places (and brands) to get concentrates and bases I would be keen to hear your opinions.

AVF Regular
    I am going to sleep on this and have a think about it, but in the mean time...have you tried just taking tiny little puffs? Like 1/2 a second draws on your vape? Or perhaps have a go putting the drip tip in the corner of your mouth so that when you take a drag you get half air and half vapour? Also, have you had a go on your partners set-up? I mean, theoretically it should be the same, but have a crack just to be sure

Have a go at those tonight and see if it makes any difference.

More people will come along with suggestions, and I will have a think and come back to you too.
    Noe and Tiggin like this.

AVF Regular
    Ps. What flavours have you tried Vaping, other than the max VG vanilla?

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    Try dropping the flavouring, & try tottie puffing a tank of unflavoured juice.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    Hi Tiggin, are you on Country? I have lived remote before but wasn't a Vaper in those days.

I am really happy to post you a bit of vaping gear that might help you - it would be a Pif (no cost)
    Pm me if you would like it
    Tiggin likes this.
    Tootle Puffing Provari Fan Gal & Newbie Squonker

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Hi Tiggin, welcome to AVF.
    There is a possibility that you have a sensitivity to PG or VG, it's quite easy to test for this, simple create a couple of "patches" using some gauze & tape then moisten the pads with 10-12drops, one with plain PG & one with plain VG, then apply them to the underside of your arms. Leave them there for a few hours & check to see if there is any reaction (skin turning red/pink) if either feel like they are burning then check them right away, they shouldn't do that if you are not sensitive.
    If all you have is plain PG with nic in it, then you can use that, it will just act a bit like a nicotine patch & 12 drops would only be 20mg of nicotine so quite safe to use but I saw you have plain VG so use that rather than the VG with nic.

Vaping isn't smoking, your body may just need time to adjust, I bet if you remember back to when you first smoked you coughed &/or felt a little sick the first time you had a cancer stick, eventually adjusting & thinking nothing of it, persistence with vaping can be similar for some people it may just take you more time to adjust than your partner.
    Sipping water before & after vaping will help a little, as will butter menthol or similar cough lollies, for the first few days or week or so.
    If you try the test patches & find you have no reaction to them, then all you should need is time to adjust to vaping but I would try your partner's device as suggested by ducky also, just to be sure there isn't something wrong with yours. If you find you do have a reaction to one of the patches (having a reaction to both would be extremely extremely rare) then simply don't use juice with high amounts of either PG or VG a 90/10 or 10/90 PG/VG or perhaps even 80/20 or 20/80 ratio should be ok if you are sensitive to either, since you don't seem to be having an allergic reaction.

I hope some of this is helpful
    fabricator4, JakeFloyd and Tiggin like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    Tiggin you could of coarse be coming down with the Dreaded Lurgy, (flu).
    ybnice likes this.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    I have similar problems, although not quite as bad as you describe. When I first started vaping, over 4 years ago, my throat wasn't painful at first, but after chain vaping for a day or so my throat was so painful I went back to smoking for a couple of days to give it a break and was just vaping occasionally. I gradually increased the vaping but to this day it is still harsh and sore on my throat if I don't take constant sips of a drink while vaping.

I drink water constantly all day long now, and increased the milk in my coffee as well as took up drinking iced coffee with mostly milk. This helped me a lot (the milk seems to put a lining on my mouth and throat).

I'm pretty sure for me it's the nicotine that burns, and the drying effect of the vapour makes it worse. Have you ever tried nicotine lozenges? I did way before I started vaping but couldn't use them at all because they burned the hell out of my mouth, which is why I think it's the nicotine. Early on I also increased the VG ratio in my juices (I stick to 50/50 now), because PG is more drying and harsh.

To check if it is the nicotine you could try vaping without nic for a bit and see if that makes a difference. I have heard of at least one other person who can't tolerate nicotine in the mouth or throat, and many others who, like me, find it extremely harsh.

Good luck.
    DogMan and Tiggin like this.

AVF Regular
    I have to agree with Noe that you might be sensitive to PG or VG. PG is the most likely culprit. I have a friend who is PG intolerant and he just vapes unflavoured 100% VG with nicotine. I presume you have tried you boyfriends vape and found it harsh for you as well? Doing that little test will prove it's not a faulty coil or something.

Some people are very sensitive to different brands of VG and PG and find them harsh. One brand that even these people seen to find acceptable is U4EA brand from Aussie eCigs. Since we don't normally vape brands intended only for culinary or medical purposes I can't say if they are suitable or not. You could try vaping some on its own to get an idea how it affects you and what it tastes like. To thin vegetable glycerin so it will wick properly mix 5% distilled water. I have mixed up to 10% water with no obvious bad effects.

Once you have vaped straight U4EA brand VG and PG on their own you will know if one of those is the problem. You then add some nicotine to whichever gives you no real problem. Note that PG on it's own is more harsh than VG - it even makes me cough if I try to direct lung it, it should not be painfully harsh though.

If it turns out you can not tolerate PG, you will have to buy nicotine in 100% VG.
    eLicky and Tiggin like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Howdy,

Just to add my 2cents. I am in no way experienced (1.5 weeks of vaping haha) but I found that when I mixed high nic content juices I had much the same soreness of the throat.

I smoked winnie sky blues 30 pack a day. I could easily smoke normal blues a day. I also dabbled with roll ya own every 3 weeks or so ... so when I moved to vaping I tried my mates 16mg mixed juice and
    A) coughed my lungs up. B) burnt the shit outa my throat.

So what I have been doing is starting small in the nic mixing game.

I currently have one juice at 3mg, one at 6mg and one at 7-8mg ( messed up the calculations &#129315. Note that my setup is Direct To Lung. I did find its was a little hard to vape the 7-8mg mix compared to the others but have been vaping it for 4-5days and have gotten use to it.

So take all the above with a grain of salt.

Could be wat everyone else has said and be the PG/VG sensitivity.

Humble 2cents.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    muscovyduckling and Tiggin like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast