Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: First box unit help

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

First box unit help

Hey all,

I hope this is in the right area, mods please move if not.

I have been using an Aspire K4 with both the sub ohm and regular coils and loving it. However one thing I've been weary of is running out of battery while out. When in discussion with a friend on this issue he suggested getting a box unit (apparently larger batt life and most versatile) as opposed to another K4 for back up
    So I've looked a little into it and thought I would give it a crack. I am liking what I've read about the Istick 30w, however from my little understanding it may not be as strong as my K4? I believe while it is adjustable up to 30W, my K4 is 40-60W depending on charge and can use the .27 sub ohm coil which I really enjoy.

So would the istick 50w be a better choice to get the same kind of vape I am used too already? or is there another alternative that would be more suitable as far as box units with better battery and adjustable wattage.
    Id also like to be able to try out different tanks so I need to keep that in mind too

Can any of you legends on here assist me please?
    Vapeninja likes this.

AVF Regular
    Stay away from iStick 30/50, that's old tech.

Get a smok alien or similar that has dual 18650 batteries or a smok gs150 which has Internal batteries.
    Both are a smallish size for dual battery capacity.
    Vapeninja, JakeFloyd and Polar43 like this.

AVF Regular
    I would highly reccomend the minikin 2 its abit on the pricey side coming in at $125 is what i paid for mine but honestly this mod is amazing its small its easy to shove into your pocket its a dual 18650 mod and runs up to a maximum of 180W this is my daily go to mod the only cons i have with it is the black version which has a rubber finish has started to chip off around the battery door but other than that its a excellent mod i thought the touch screen was going to be very gimicky but honestly after using it for abit i love it i use it daily and i have found the chip to be quite accurate in my experience
    Polar43 likes this.
    Minikin 2 with Goon
    LMC 200W with Buddha z V3
    VCM stacked tube with Temple mini

Started Vaping 13/9/2016 the day that changed my life!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    Stay away from iStick 30/50, that's old tech.

Get a smok alien or similar that has dual 18650 batteries or a smok gs150 which has Internal batteries.
    Both are a smallish size for dual battery capacity.
    Depends on what you want if you want crazy watts and crazy bulilds then a dual battery mod maybe the way to go if your after dual coil maybe claptons nothing crazy and not crazy watts then a AL85 will be enough.

I for one dont like the idea of carrying around a dual battery device

AVF Regular
    It really depends on what you want to spend, the size you want, single or dual battery. If you run the Cleito tank the same, a single battery mod might give you about half as much again (with the Samsung 30Q batteries for eg). It's also easy to carry a spare battery in a battery box for safety. It does mean you have to buy batteries and a charger but the big advantage here is that you can just change to a fresh one when you go out. You don't have to run any of these batteries (including internal ones) flat before you charge them - arguably, running them flat every single time causes more wear on the battery.

If you want small and inexpensive the Eleaf Pico is one of the better ones.

You really do need backups - if your one and only breaks or gets lost it leaves you in a very bad position.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    hmm.. I was thinking long about this before I try to help you. as recommended by these guys above, they recomended mod with external battery.

this is the part that most of us would go toward in our vaping journey. when i first started, im also thinking internal bat are better as less hasle and stuff.
    but as i am growing and most of the good mods have external batteries.

my suggestion is, think long and hard of what do you want and what sort of vaper are you.

if you choose to go external battery mod, there is more investment upfront as you need to buy good charger, battery, and the carry box (some give you free depending on the vendor).

I personally can't and won't give you recommendation on what to get as everything are subjective. size/looks/price/gizmo. to many variables to consider. only you can tell which one you like. my suggestion is go to youtube and see the review on the mods you interested.

that how i decided before making my purchase.
    Vapeninja and Polar43 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    It really depends on what you want to spend, the size you want, single or dual battery. If you run the Cleito tank the same, a single battery mod might give you about half as much again (with the Samsung 30Q batteries for eg). It's also easy to carry a spare battery in a battery box for safety. It does mean you have to buy batteries and a charger but the big advantage here is that you can just change to a fresh one when you go out. You don't have to run any of these batteries (including internal ones) flat before you charge them - arguably, running them flat every single time causes more wear on the battery.

You really do need backups - if your one and only breaks or gets lost it leaves you in a very bad position.
    Thats absolutely spot on Fab great advice!
    Minikin 2 with Goon
    LMC 200W with Buddha z V3
    VCM stacked tube with Temple mini

Started Vaping 13/9/2016 the day that changed my life!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post

I like your suggestion mate, backupssss...

lol
    Vapeninja likes this.

AVF Regular
    A dual battery box mod will be a lot bigger and heavier than your K4, and if you're only running up to about 60watts a dual battery device is not necessary. They're also a bit trickier for battery safety reasons - you have to keep the two batteries together as a "married pair" (ie. They're not interchangeable between your back-up pair, if that makes sense), and you can't use the mod to charge your batteries on (most) dual battery mods, so you need to buy an external charger. If/when you start running beefy dual-coil builds at 120+ watts you will need to use a dual or triple batt mod, but until then it might just be a hassle that has no benefits for you.

I would recommend the SMOK AL85, which takes a single 18650 battery and goes up to 85w, and will accommodate tanks up to 25mm diameter. I think they are around $60. EDIT: as per Fabs suggestions, the eLeaf Pico is also great at around $45, but will only accommodate tanks up to 22mm diameter, where a lot of the sub-ohm tanks coming out these days are 24-25mm.

You will also have to buy 2 X 18650 batteries (one for the mod, one for a plastic case in your pocket as a back-up) - you can buy them from a guy on EBay called Supersports600 who is a vaper and a member here (lots of us buy our batteries from him), or from a reputable vape shop. If you're running low ohm coils (0.27ohm is low for me!) you'll probably want high-drain 25 or 30 Amp batteries I think - can any low-ohm vapers confirm/suggest models? Either way, $25 will get you two great quality batteries and a case for them.

It's nice to have a mod with replaceable rather than built in batteries because, for example, if you're out and about when your K4 runs out of batteries you need a whole seperate device if you want to keep Vaping, but if your set-up uses 18650 batteries you can just carry a spare battery instead of a whole seperate device.

If you go for a single battery mod, you can either charge the batteries while they are inside the mod, or you can get an external battery charger. I have a 2-bay Efest charger from VapourEyes which cost around $35, and I LOVE it because it offers 2amp charging, so it charges your batteries much quicker that they charge inside (most) mods. You don't have to buy one though - it's nice to have, not a must-have, if you're using single battery mods.
    Last edited by muscovyduckling; 30-05-17 at 03:36 PM.
    Vapeninja, Polar43 and IvanIvan like this.

AVF Regular
    .27 ohm coil at even 100watts is still below 20amp, battery of choice would be the Samsung 25R. Almost always charge your batteries outside of your mod, sure someone here has more info on the matter but for example the samsung chargers charge at a higher rate and have bricked them smok alien mods before

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast