Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New vaper

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

New vaper

Hi all,

I'm a smoker looking to give it up. I have tried everything cigs in the past, and I wasn't impressed. I've heard that they have improved tremendously over the past few years, and I want to try it. I have always been a fan of hookahs. My favorite one just broke and left me with a big scar across my hand.
    Can you give me any suggestions on starter packs? I want to get everything I need in one go.
    If anyone has a spare that they want to sell, I'll happily buy it.

Thank you
    Crisscross and Tom Drake like this.

AVF Regular
    Welcome ultrasuede - you are absolutely in the best place to start your vaping journey and get off the stinking cigs for good!

Well done introducing yourself properly to the forum - there are many good people here who will be super keen to help you.
    Unfortunately I don't have any 'starter' type vape kit at this stage, otherwise I would be sending you freebies immediately!

Please stick at it and don't hesitate to ask millions of questions, we ALL did when we started out, and you won't find a better vape forum in the world than AVF!
    Cheers and best of luck!
    Tom
    Crisscross and Danny76 like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrasuede View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a smoker looking to give it up. I have tried everything cigs in the past, and I wasn't impressed. I've heard that they have improved tremendously over the past few years, and I want to try it. I have always been a fan of hookahs. My favorite one just broke and left me with a big scar across my hand.
    Can you give me any suggestions on starter packs? I want to get everything I need in one go.

Thank you
    Welcome to AVF.

I wrote threads specifically for nebbies like yourself, take a look here:
    Noe's List (newbie shopping guide) Revised 2016 edition
    And
    Noe's newbie shopping guide Revised 2017 edition
    Cat likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Thanks for the welcome guys!
    I've been doing my research (YouTube) I think I want to start big, and get something buildable. I'm into DIY stuff.
    Any recommendations for buildable builds?

AVF Regular
    Hi all,

The best beginners starter kit's are probably the Aspire Pockex or maybe the Innokin T18 or the T22

Whichever one you pick, don't forget to buy some coils for it as well. If they are available in a ranged of resistances then buy a few different ones, however the coils that come with the units are the ones designed to work best on that system.

Unfortunately nicotine still can not be sold in Australia so you have to source that separately. Mixology NZ and VapourEyes NZ can supply e-liquids with nicotine. Because you are in Queensland it can not come via Toll (long story), so may be posted as in the case for Mixology. VapourEyes may be faster express shipping.

Hiliq.com can also supply liquids with nicotine, shipping will be about week via Fedex. Hiliq in particular is a good source for concentrated nicotine, but but Mixology NZ and VapourEyes NZ can supply that as well.

If you buy concentrated nicotine you can buy RTV (ready to vape) liquids from Australian suppliers and just add a little of your concentrated nicotine to them. Doublers are double strength liquids that you need to add nicotine, PG, and VG to bring them up to double volume.

To start with I would recommend 12 to 18mg/ml of nicotine in your liquids. If you buy the same flavour in 6mg/ml and 18mg/ml you can mix and match to dial in your required nicotine strength. After that you will know what you need exactly.

Some spare bottles and some syringes for measuring would be very helpful, but most suppliers have those.
    Cat likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Oh, and Jake has a PIF to give away a T18, you could enter that too:

PIF - brand new innokin endura t18 kit
    Last edited by fabricator4; 03-06-17 at 03:39 PM.
    JakeFloyd likes this.

Thank you for the suggestions guys. My mate has a cheap ebay vaper that I had a go on. Holy fritolies! it's awesome! just like a hookah, with less of the hassle and mess. I want to jump in the deep end and get something customizable that I can make coils and such with.
    And what a coincidence that DIY ejuice is made with the same ingredients as my DIY shisha!

AVF Regular
    Thank you for the suggestions guys. My mate has a cheap ebay vaper that I had a go on. Holy fritolies! it's awesome! just like a hookah, with less of the hassle and mess. I want to jump in the deep end and get something customizable that I can make coils and such with.
    And what a coincidence that DIY ejuice is made with the same ingredients as my DIY shisha!
    ill say this

DONT JUST DONT jump right into rebuildables learn ohms law unless you want to lose your house due to a thermal run away not trying to scare you its just the right thing to do took me months to even begin rebuilding
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

AVF Regular
    In that case have a look at a kanger topbox mini 75TC. You'll need to buy 18650 batteries for it and a charger as well, but these are used in a lot of mods so it won't matter at all.

I'd consider the topbox an ideal setup for the beginner because:
    * The top tank works with factory coils, but also comes with the RBA you can learn to build on.
    * It does MTL (mouth to lung) and DL (direct lung) vaping styles
    * relatively inexpensive so ideal for learning and as a stepping stone to other things.
    * DL works quite well with coils in the range of 0.4 to 0.8 ohms
    * MTL works well with coils over 1 ohm.
    * It's a regulated device so has a high battery safety factor.
    * My Kanger mod is still working after being dropped and kicked all over the country for over a year.
    * If you have to keep costs down, single battery mods are safe to charge the battery in the mod.

Yes there's other kits out there, with mods I like better, but I really think this is the ideal first step for you because of the tank it comes with. Shisha smoking is a lot more like direct lung with a looser draw. I think you'll love it.

Some of the down sides:
    Kanger paint jobs are pretty ordinary. It will eventually chip. They are easy to dismantle and repaint though.
    It's not over the top DL but the flavour is very good. I recommend you try something single coil like this before you go full on cloud chasing.
    Sorry I couldn't find an Australian supplier with one at a decent price, but some Australian vendors are carrying them.

Reasons NOT to jump on the band wagon with something with 8 coils that requires 200 watts to run
    * You go through many mls of juice an hour
    * this can make it hard to dial in your ideal nicotine content
    * needs a multi battery mod which...
    * has a much higher outlay for battery and chargers
    * I suggest that since vaping is not 100% safe, exposing yourself to more vapour than you need is less safe?

You may eventually finish up with a juice chugger, but something like this is still a better place to start and will always be useful as a backup or a smaller device for work or when out.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 04-06-17 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saph View Post
    ill say this

DONT JUST DONT jump right into rebuildables learn ohms law unless you want to lose your house due to a thermal run away not trying to scare you its just the right thing to do took me months to even begin rebuilding
    All good mate, perks of having a Jaycar kit developer as a Dad, - you learn things like ohms law at an early age.
    fabricator4 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast