Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Direct to Lung - Is my technique right?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Direct to Lung - Is my technique right?

Hey all,

So I'm a fairly new vaper. I had a basic setup for a few weeks but I was unhappy with it - Eleaf iCare Mini (was not satisfying for me). I've recently bought a Smok Stick V8 Baby and been playing around with Direct to Lung vaping, which so far is working much better for me.

Initially, I was coughing on every hit but through my own messing about I've found something that works for me - more or less - without coughing.

I run my airflow about half closed. I start inhaling before I hit the fire button and I inhale for a second or so after I release the fire button, before I exhale. For the most part, this has eliminated my coughing. Also discovered that initially I wasn't inhaling quickly enough - have found I really have to get onto it especially after I hit fire because compared to the iCare the Stick V8 Baby really puts out a lot of vapour.

So my question is - am I doing it right? Are there any tips I should know?

I'm also wondering what impact the width of the drip tip could have on this? The V8 Baby has a really wide drip tip, would a more narrow style drip tip help?

Thanks in advance.

P
    rodbam and staceman101 like this.

AVF Regular
    Just suck it hard, like a bong hit. I think people get all tentative and it makes it harder to inhale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    staceman101 and Shorty2001 like this.

AVF Regular
    maybe closed the airflow a bit, and fire and inhale simultaniously
    staceman101 likes this.

AVF Regular
    It seems like you went from one extreem to another extreem Pym. The Icare mini is a very gentle mild type vape & the V8 baby is a full on sub ohm tank for blowing clouds. Both the coils that come with that kit are very low ohms & need lots of hard sucking to get plenty of air flow over the coils to get a good vape. Normally turning the airflow down just makes the vape very thin & a bit harsh. Lots of people love the full on vape that this tank gives but for someone just starting out it seems too full on to me, mind you I'm old & I just prefer a mild quiet type vape without the sound of lots of air going through the atty.
    Like you I found the vape to be a bit harsh when I did MTL (mouth to lung) so now I do DI (direct lung) with a tightish airflow which I find is a lot easier on the throat.
    A really good vape that beginners & experienced vapours like is a tank called the Nautilus it uses the Aspire Nautilus BVC coils which are excellent it also holds 5ml of juice. Genuine Aspire Nautilus Adjustable Airflow Tank
    Good luck with it Pym you have made a great start.

AVF Regular
    press button, breath in. adjust to suit
    go with what works for you, mate.

tbh, I mix the two fairly easily depending on set up and juice. sometimes ill forget i have the MTL tank with 16mg and take a big DL toke. gets the throat hard.
    actually considering mixing all juices at 9mg and using that across all set ups
    staceman101 likes this.

AVF Regular
    If you let your mouth fill with vape before inhaling, you're going to choke (in my experience...)
    I way prefer DTL - but as someone else said, you need to rip it like a big bong hit 😊

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
    trumpy955 likes this.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone. (Especially rodbam - good insight into this new tank of mine)

I've been messing about this evening and it seems that I need to shut the airflow more. Now it's only maybe 10% open, works much better. Been vaping the past couple of hours with that set up and man is it satisfying! No coughing as of yet, and the nic hit feels much better too. I'm not holding back on ripping it now either which probably helps, but definitely find a fairly tight (but not M2L type of tight) much better for me.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pymboline View Post
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone. (Especially rodbam - good insight into this new tank of mine)

I've been messing about this evening and it seems that I need to shut the airflow more. Now it's only maybe 10% open, works much better. Been vaping the past couple of hours with that set up and man is it satisfying! No coughing as of yet, and the nic hit feels much better too. I'm not holding back on ripping it now either which probably helps, but definitely find a fairly tight (but not M2L type of tight) much better for me.
    I'm tipping that as the days roll by, you'll be opening that airflow - keep us posted 😊

Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    I'm tipping that as the days roll by, you'll be opening that airflow - keep us posted ��

Will keep you posted! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by staceman101 View Post
    I'm tipping that as the days roll by, you'll be opening that airflow - keep us posted ��

Well what do you know, you'd be right. :-)

I'm now running it about 40% closed. All the harshness and coughing is gone (maybe I just needed to get used to it).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast