Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Help please....trying to set up TC on spectrum 230w

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Help please....trying to set up TC on spectrum 230w

Hi all I currently trying to set up TC on my mod.. I have it working but not as well as I would like. I find it very low on valid when vaping cold coil. Also not exactly sure what the preheat numbers relate to. I have it set at 100w and 0.900 sec but seems like it doesn't fire up as good as in wattage mode.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfishslayer View Post
    Hi all I currently trying to set up TC on my mod.. I have it working but not as well as I would like. I find it very low on valid when vaping cold coil. Also not exactly sure what the preheat numbers relate to. I have it set at 100w and 0.900 sec but seems like it doesn't fire up as good as in wattage mode.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    There seems to be a bug in the firmware, where the first TC vape is very anaemic. Temperature control should actually work, though actually too hot on stainless steel - that might be programming or TCR issue.

My advice is to turn pre-heat off - it's buggy for wattage mode, so I wouldn't trust it in TC mode without testing it. In theory it should run 100 watts for 0.9 of a second but if it seems like it's not doing that, then it probably isn't.

If you still have problems after that, make sure you have set the correct TC wire on the mod. What wire are you using?

Still problems after that, compare the resistance setting on the mod with the true cold resistance of the coil.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 22-06-17 at 07:18 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Thanks fab....a few things for me to look into there..im using the .5 ohm coil that came with the crown 3 tank which is 316 ss i belive.I really wanted to keep my temps below 220c but im just not getting enough vapor...not till about 270c ish is it better
    Last edited by Garfishslayer; 22-06-17 at 09:58 PM.

How do I turn pre heat off?

AVF Regular
    First thing i do on any tc mod...turn off preheat (easy on DNA)/put it on lowest setting when i cant completely disable it...if i wanted to burn juice id use watts mode, which is precisely what i was trying to avoid by buying a tc mod....

Hunting for the manual now, didnt you get one?

edit: Nope no manual for that on their site...

edit: From reddit: To adjust the "Preheat Power Adjustment" hold the "fire" and the "+" key, then adjust the watts and then the preheat time

Thanks fab....a few things for me to look into there..im using the .5 ohm coil that came with the crown 3 tank which is 316 ss i belive.I really wanted to keep my temps below 220c but im just not getting enough vapor...not till about 270c ish is it better
    Umm Crown coils...im posting this for what feels like the milliointyith time, but theyre not fully 316L, theyre NR-R-NR or Non-Resistence - Resistence - Non-Resistence wire, which means only the middle bit is 316L and tc compatible and the legs are bog standard kanthal...kanthal being completely useless for tc. What does this mean for you...will tc still work? yes, but you may (probably will) have to fiddle with your set temp to get a satisfactory tc vape. Slight changes in temp until you find where you liek it. But yeah, probably the worst coils to start a tc career on...plus they need like 50w even in vw mode to even start working if you go non-tc. She always going to be warm no matter what you do.

So set your watts ceiling for tc mode to 60w at very least, or above (not the preheat watts setting). Youre probably going to have to run it quite warm, if not hot to get a decent vape even with these settings. Its a Crown...life is meant to be difficult...

If youre determined to do tc reliably, and youre up to winding a bit of wire, id recommend making your own coils and using a tank with a rebuildable deck over any prebuilt coil. If not, and you'd rather stick with prebuilt coils, then someone who uses prebuilt coils with tc might chip in. Ive only ever used a prebuilt coil with, shockingly, a Crown v1, and it remains the least happy tank time ive ever had (sadly, you just missed it being passed on for the 3rd time in the classifieds, it is slightly famous that tank), and that was just in vw mode, before i started tc'ing
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 22-06-17 at 10:20 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 14/08/17

AVF Regular
    How do I turn pre heat off?
    I can't find a manual online, but I know that to get into preheat settings you press the fire button and up button at the same time. Once you're in there, try setting the preheat time to zero.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    I can't find a manual online, but I know that to get into preheat settings you press the fire button and up button at the same time. Once you're in there, try setting the preheat time to zero.
    Lol, we have to really stop crossposting

Actually, why am i getting involved in what are clearly your duties/functions on here?

Im off to watch Uncle Buck on SBS, seriously how good are John Hughes films still...
    fabricator4 likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 14/08/17

AVF Regular
    If you need to set it to 270C it sounds like it's read the resistance too low. It can also be that it got the resistance right the first time, but now for some reason it's reading consistently high. This sometimes happens if you have a spec of dirt on the 510 connector.

Try cleaning the connector on the mod and the tank, but be careful you don't accidentally set your baseline temp with a warm coil when you put it back together.

If you have an atty ohmmeter or another mod with an accurate ohmmeter you could check the resistance against what the Kaos Spectrum is reading.
    Garfishslayer likes this.

Ok cheers mate it looks like im just going to go watt mode with the crown...i have no idea how to set the ceiling wattage in tc mode so if anyone does i would appreciate some help
    Im happy with the flavor and vapor production in that mode.....I really want to use the tc so I will see if anyone suggests any good coils/tanks.....yeah I knew how to adjust the pre heat but there was know way to turn it off that I could see.....so I assume I will set it all to 0 and that effectively will turn it off Im guessing

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Lol, we have to really stop crossposting

Actually, why am i getting involved in what are clearly your duties/functions on here?

Im off to watch Uncle Buck on SBS, seriously how good are John Hughes films still...
    Ha!

"I'm Buck Melanoma..." LOL
    Last edited by fabricator4; 22-06-17 at 10:38 PM.
    stylemessiah likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast