Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Ammonia taste in DIY juice

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Ammonia taste in DIY juice

I recently purchased a bunch of concentrates from Juice Factory. I have some 70 - 30 VG/PG base that I got off a UK seller. I mixed the concentrates as per Juice Factory's recommendations 15%. I read about people using a sous vide bath at 65 degrees for 4 hours to accelerate aging, so I gave that a go. The result is a bunch of flavors that have an ammonia taste. The dessert flavors have it worst. Have you ever taken a wizz on a camp fire? Just like that. I have vaped the VG\PG base by itself and it didn't have this taste. Why did it happen?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrasuede View Post
    I recently purchased a bunch of concentrates from Juice Factory. I have some 70 - 30 VG/PG base that I got off a UK seller. I mixed the concentrates as per Juice Factory's recommendations 15%. I read about people using a sous vide bath at 65 degrees for 4 hours to accelerate aging, so I gave that a go. The result is a bunch of flavors that have an ammonia taste. The dessert flavors have it worst. Have you ever taken a wizz on a camp fire? Just like that. I have vaped the VG\PG base by itself and it didn't have this taste. Why did it happen?
    I buy a lot from Juicefactory and have never had that problem. What flavours are you mixing? Are you mixing just one flavour or are you mixing a few together? Taste your PG and VG and see if that is the issue. Are you using a fresh coil? What brand nic are you using? Let's try and drill down for you and see where the problem could be. Some flavours shouldn't be mixed at 15% but often need other flavours to bring them out while using them at a smaller percentage.

2nd attempt ... Never give up, giving up. OMG I am going to be rich soon, look how much I have saved!

AVF Regular
    How did you do with this? I have to agree that using the flavours too strong is the most likely reason, as most flavours can give chemical off tastes if you are too lavish.

All flavours are different and you have to work out what the ideal concentration for each one is before you start mixing. It's the most challenging aspect of DIY. If a company gives an advisory that their flavours be mixed at up to 15% they would normally mean that some of the flavours are weak, but I wouldn't assume that is the case for all of them.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Have you ever taken a wizz on a camp fire?
    so am I the only one worried about the camp fire?
    stylemessiah likes this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    No one ever thinks about the campfire, 1ynne...no one....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    I'm more worried that he knows what it tastes like to whiz on a campfire...
    Noe likes this.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

AVF Regular
    Hi my name is ultra. I enjoy caprophagy, and watersports.
    stylemessiah and 1ynne like this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Hi my name is ultra. I enjoy caprophagy, and watersports.
    asl?

p.s. can you do odd things with gummy worms?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    fabricator4 and rockmoose like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothingexpert View Post
    I'm more worried that he knows what it tastes like to whiz on a campfire...
    It's a practical joke. You don't actually pee on the fire, you pee on the hot coals after it has died down. The next morning when they roll out of their tent and start raking the coals over to build a new fire, the obnoxious chemicals that have been baking in the hole for hours are released, and by all accounts the smell is so obnoxious and strong that you really CAN taste it.

I suspect there are plenty of former boy scouts who know exactly what it "tastes" like (No I wasn't in scouts)
    gert likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Getting back to the OP's problem here (no not the peeing on campfire habit).

Did you mix, speed steep (in warm bath), then test the juices immediately after?
    Even with speed steeping you need to allow a day or so before the proper flavor comes out & if you leave the lids on the bottles you won't get the best results as most of the magic happens through air/gas exchange - you can't off gas unwanted scents in a sealed unit.
    I think you may just need to leave the bottles with their lids off for a day or two & try them again.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast