Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By stylemessiah
  • 2 Post By captive
  • 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By fabricator4

Thread: My first RDA build

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

My first RDA build

Hey guys I just got my first RDA the icon RDA from vandy vapes. I'm super happy with the build but have a couple of questions....I'm baking on my alien 220w tc I'm finding the vape to be rough and spitting ....its not harsh on the throat neither to hot....but the vape just doesn't seem smooth....like it would be from my baby beast tank. My RDA is ohming out at
    .3 and I'm Vaping around between 40 and 60 w....are RDA's usually a little more crackly and noisier....I think my build is spot on for my first 24ga KanthalA1.

If i thought my first RDA build was going to be complete smooth sailing am I being obtuse.....?? I would love any feedback

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    I dont dual coil, but ill take a stab at a few basics

Contact coils? Are both coils glowing evenly from the inside out...no hotspots etc..always do the stroke the coil with a screwdriver/metal tweezers trick after building contact coils..this magic stroking/strumming gently across the wraps, and/or squeezing with tweezers can help alleviate uneven fairies in the coil and/or hotspots. Uneven firing coils could cause one to work harder than the other and heat the juice higher on one side... p.s./fyi theres really nothing stopping you from trying spaced coils for non-tc builds, i used to build kanthal coils that way. Its a personal preference, some people do contact, some do spaced.

Are the wicks snug as a bug in both coils?...you want them snug and almost grabbing the wire (i.e. some resistance as you pull through)...gaps between the wick and coil can result in popping/spitting
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 12-08-17 at 12:56 AM.
    captive and emu like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 14/08/17

AVF Regular
    Looks ok to me but maybe this will help

Did you test burn the coils to make sure there were no hot spots on them and they glow evenly from the middle out to the sides?

is the wick to tight or loose in the coils? that can only be answered with experience

If you are sure both those are ok then try spacing the coils a bit so they are not touching
    stylemessiah and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    The most likely reason is the wick is not packed enough in the coils. This leaves larger air spaces that fill with more liquid. When you fire the coil the liquid boils quickly and shoots out with a pop.
    eLicky and emu like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    The most likely reason is the wick is not packed enough in the coils. This leaves larger air spaces that fill with more liquid. When you fire the coil the liquid boils quickly and shoots out with a pop.
    Thanks fab....I picked up the double vision RDA from compvape also....so when building on that deck because there's only two post holes am I fixing both positive wires at the same time...loading two coils at the same time...gonna be tricky....or am I missing something......can't see any other way....

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shanereis1200 View Post
    Thanks fab....I picked up the double vision RDA from compvape also....so when building on that deck because there's only two post holes am I fixing both positive wires at the same time...loading two coils at the same time...gonna be tricky....or am I missing something......can't see any other way....

Yes, normally the wires feed into the posts from opposite directions. It's not too bad as long as you can still trim the wires without cutting a coil off. Some people pre-cut the wires to avoid have to trim later. Some people use two winding jigs to hold the coils while they are fitted.

You just have to find what works for you. For me, I trimmed the legs after the coils are screwed in (with very pointy flush cutters it's quite easy) and I mounted the coils quite close to the posts. It's usually possible to mount the coils close to the post and then use the coiling tool to pull the coil out to the right position, and this also tightens up the coil and makes a very neat job.
    stylemessiah and eLicky like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.