• 6 Post By jobics
  • 3 Post By gurishka
  • 5 Post By jobics
  • 2 Post By jobics

Thread: Clapton wire questions

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Clapton wire questions

Hey guys,
    I was wanting to try using some Clapton wire, but I'm not sure what to get.
    I generally use 28g Kanthal and vape around 0.6 ohms
    It sounds to me like using 28g single core Clapton wire will give me the same resistance, but the 28x2 seems to be easier to get.
    Will the 28x2 fused stuff give me the same resistance?
    any other input would be welcome also, its all doing my head in at the moment
    Cheers
    Grant
    Last edited by TheBald1; 23-09-17 at 03:59 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBald1 View Post
    Hey guys,
    It sounds to me like using 28g single core Clapton wire will give me the same resistance, but the 28x2 seems to be easier to get.
    Cheers
    Grant
    Im using 36/262 kanthal. At 3.5 mm id and 6 wraps its coming in at .57ohm . U may want to find some 38/40 gauge wrap or higher gauge core say 28 2 if you want to go higher in resistance.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    TheBald1 likes this.

AVF Regular
    If you're buying pre made wire, there's plenty out there. Geekvape and a host of other companies make spools of pre made clapton wire. You can always look at the rofvape and demon killer pre made coils too. There's a lot out there.
    1ynne, TheBald1 and fridgemagnet like this.

AVF Regular
    and the why of clapton wire Gurishka.. like why is it a buy ? simple single wire coils are improved by this how ? serious question.. but I am a tootler.. so they are prob wasted on me unless you tell me .. and temperature control SS claptons are good because ... ?

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBald1 View Post
    Hey guys,
    Cheers
    Grant
    When you add another wire in parallel, resistance will be halved, i.e. a 100 mm of Kanthal 24 AWG has a resistance of 0.7 ohms, so 2 of that wire in parallel will be 0.35 ohms. The effect of the wrapping wire increases the resistance a little bit but it generally is negligible. However, the added mass of the wrap will add to the ramp up time of the coi.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    and the why of clapton wire Gurishka.. like why is it a buy ? simple single wire coils are improved by this how ? serious question.. but I am a tootler.. so they are prob wasted on me unless you tell me .. and temperature control SS claptons are good because ... ?
    Tootlers use coils with higher resistance, so it's hard to build fancy coils for tootlers. I would suggest that if you do make claptons, use the smallest wire possible for the wrap. A fused 28x2/40 gives me a better flavour profile than a 28x2/32. I sometimes use 46 AWG for my personal coils but it's hard to work with that small a wire. I can't do my regular long lengths when wrapping with 46 AWG as it requires very steady hand feeding to avoid double wraps.
    BrianS, Misohoni, gurishka and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    If I did a fused clapton with 2x30awg and 36awg wrap, at 6 wraps it comes in at 1.139ohms. The issue is mass and firing it. You end up pushing up the watts to get it to fire and vape the way you think it should. So even though it's over an ohm in rating, it's not going to be the warmth and way you want to vape.

If I built the same coil out of SS316L, the same coil and wraps comes in at 0.589ohms for that coil. SS is of a much lower resistance so it makes it harder to make a coil in the ohm region. But that being said, running a MTL tank with that coil in TC could be quite nice (I don't have any to build some of these to test or let you test them).

Simple 26awg plain wire is great for MTL coils and tootle puffing. Hell, I even used to run 1.2-2ohm coil builds for my MTL tanks.
    jobics, Danny76 and TheBald1 like this.

AVF Regular

PIF 316L fused clapton coils 30x2/36

Quote Originally Posted by gurishka View Post
    If I did a fused clapton with 2x30awg and 36awg wrap, at 6 wraps it comes in at 1.139ohms. The issue is mass and firing it. You end up pushing up the watts to get it to fire and vape the way you think it should. So even though it's over an ohm in rating, it's not going to be the warmth and way you want to vape.

If I built the same coil out of SS316L, the same coil and wraps comes in at 0.589ohms for that coil. SS is of a much lower resistance so it makes it harder to make a coil in the ohm region. But that being said, running a MTL tank with that coil in TC could be quite nice (I don't have any to build some of these to test or let you test them).

Simple 26awg plain wire is great for MTL coils and tootle puffing. Hell, I even used to run 1.2-2ohm coil builds for my MTL tanks.
    I was in the workshop this morning and decided to make some 316L 30x2/36 fused claptons. I put one in my Wasp Nano squonker - 6 wraps comes out to 0.45 ohms single coil on my Inbox. The flavour is similar to a 28x2/36 clapton but the cloud production is a bit thinner. Ramp up time is almost instantaneous.

Now, I'm a DTL vaper and I've got 7 left-over coils (4 pcs. 6 wraps, 3 mm ID, 0.589 ohms resistance and 3 pcs 8 wraps, 2.5 mm ID, 0.683 ohms). I prefer to give this to MTL vapers as I'm interested in their feedback but if there are no takers, then I'll entertain DTL vapers. Limit of 2 coils per person, no cost to you, I'll just send it via regular post.

AVF Regular
    How did it fire in tc mate? The ramp up factor is probably why i like 28 and 30 gauge.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gurishka View Post
    How did it fire in tc mate? The ramp up factor is probably why i like 28 and 30 gauge.
    TC is spot on but that's probably due to the DNA chip. What impresses me is the 0 ramp up time. With 28x2/40 fused claptons, there's a little bit of delay before I get the heat/vapour that I like. With the 30x2/36, there is no delay, I just take a deep drag straight into the lungs.
    gurishka and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    I experimented a bit with core wire types with kanthal and that's what i found as well. Thought about doing 3x30/36 but I'm out of wire. Haha. I'd be interested in your ss coils though in something like a narda clone..