Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Need recommendations please.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Need recommendations please.

Hi everyone. I hope you vape veterans can help me out.

My hubby has been diagnosed with the beginning stages of emphysema and I really want him to get off the smokes and have finally got him to agree to try vaping. I myself don't smoke so I have no clue about what to get. He currently smokes less than a pack of 8 mg cigis a day. He's been using those plastic filters to reduce the tar but he really needs to cut them out entirely. I have been reading these and other forums and looking up youtube vids on vaping to get some idea but I'm still not sure what to buy. I need something that's easy to use, nothing that will leak, something that will last him a day without filling up and something with lasting batteries that are easy to charge. He's not very techie so it has to be convenient so it doesn't put him off and goes back to the smokes. I've been checking out the Aspire Breeze All In One starter kit. That seems like a great device for him but I have no clue really. What do you guys think about this for a beginner? Do you know any others that are decent?

With regards to the eliquids, what do people recommend to try? He would prefer tobacco flavor but it needs to be natural and not artificial.. the less chemicals the better. Does unflavoured nicotine taste like anything? He'd like something that tastes like his cigis and not interested in fruity flavours or anything else. Maybe coffee as that is a bronchodilator so I may buy that for him to try. I want to buy something that's smooth and won't hurt his throat. Would you recommend a higher VG:PG ratio? I don't want to put him off right from the get go otherwise he'll just go back on the smokes and I'll be left here worrying sick about him feeling even more useless.

Sorry if my post doesn't make much sense and I really have no idea about this at all.

Any recommendations on products, vendors or advice will be much appreciated.

Hi Silverdreams, Welcome to AVF.

I don't consider myself a veteran vaper at all and there are others that will help you with much more knowledge than I.

I am a new vaper and can maybe shed a little light. Your hubby seems to be smoking like I used to and did do for 50 years, so it's crucial he tries to start vaping correctly at first so he can give up those sticks.

I'd like to suggest what I have found works for me now after much trial and error. Smoking is very different to vaping, but much more pleasurable once you find the right combination that suits.

I'm not sure hubby would be completely happy with the Aspire Breeze. I think he might prefer something that is closer to holding/smoking a cigarette. I started with Aspire Zealos... it has a 2 ml tank which may not last all day... I eventually bought a Nautilus 5 ml tank for it and now love it...it lasts all day mostly, so 5 ml...fill once and battery last the day also. It's a MTL (mouth to lung) vape so similar to smoking with the draw factor.

I also bought a INNOKIN ENDURA T22 ... this battery also last over a day and has a 4.5 ml tank that lasts a day. Its a MTL machine also. They both take a fare while to charge but you just plug in and you can vape as charging, though I don't like that hence the 2 devices. One charging the other using. Also you should consider purchasing an extra set of there own coils. These should last for a few weeks.

May I suggest unflavoured nicotine in about 50/50 PG/VG and a 9mg, 12 mg, and 18mg strength in 30 ml bottles to start. He may need to 18 mgs to get off smoking. but I found this too strong after a short time and had to reduce.... I've continued doing that and am now on 3 mls, though other will shudder at this...lol. He will have to try a few things maybe different vapes and juices til he finds what he likes.

I don't think I can put links to vendors here, but most have the vapes and the juice you'll have to import from probably Mixology NZ or ecigoz dot com. YOu could also try Nicopharm, but they are expensive. You can get tobacco flavours too, but if he thinks of vaping as a different form of smoking he might like the unflavoured...it's sweet enough and the cleanest and for me the closest to cigarettes. Most who start on tobacco flavours quickly move onto other flavours and tobacco along with cigarettes move into the "cannot stand it" basket.

Google will become your best friend soon enough, but keep in mind you can get most things from vendors here in Aus. just not nicotine... you have to import that for the moment.

If he makes the decision and sticks to it he will soon find a whole better experience than smoking. Don't be afraid to try stuff... remember vaping is heaps cheaper than smoking. so that helps after initial setup.

Good luck!! and don't give up.

Always come back to AVF with any questions... people are happy to help you in here.

I should add... I've found my lungs do better on unflavoured than with the flavoured juices.
    Danny76 and Silverdreams like this.
    Jemor

Vaping since 27/05/2017

AVF Regular
    Unflavoured for me was the winner, i tired very quickly of flavours, the quickest i ditched was any tobacco ones, if not for the unflavoured i would have found it hard going. Been on unflavoured pretty much solidly for 2.5 years now, once in a very rare while ill try a flavour, but it never sticks...

As for VG/PG ratios, almost certainly 50/50 or higher PG (not withstanding that some people have sensitivity to it - you'll only know by trying). For me at least, and especially during winter VG can lead to a heavy chest feeling, and VG really is mainly there for the cloud effect. My current mix is 70%PG/30%VG, the highest PG ive gone in well over a year, but my normal average is 60%PG. Unflavoured is the easiest to mix, and is usable straight away (unlike flavoured liquid which requires steeping, 2 weeks is around average to get to its best, longer for some) but does mature like any juice as it steeps too. Bonus, it wont stink up your house.

As for gear, really your best starting point is form factor. Show him the pen/cylnder style mods online and show him the box mods (the square/rectangular units) and see what he thinks he would like. Bear in mind that the pen/cylindrical mods have by design and form factor less battery power than a box mod, and consider buying two of whatever you settle on...not only because having one mod and it dying is a pain, especially when starting out, and 2 if he likes the cylindrical mods, a second will alleviate the waiting for it to recharge issue. Battery life revolves around battery size (mah) and usage...how you use it and how often.

As suggested above, the Aspire Nautilus/Nautilus 2 is a widely used tank, with widely available coil replacements. Depending on the juice you put through them and the wattage its vaped at you will need to replace them (taking a stab at what ive seen people do) around 2 weeks, longer for unflavoured or higher PG ratios (VG and sweet flavours kill them quicker)

Some links (one vendor for example, not endorsement - common gear available just about everywhere) to see what floats his boat

Starter Kits: https://www.wickandwireco.com.au/col...e-starter-kits
    Beginner: https://www.wickandwireco.com.au/collections/beginner
    Box Mods: https://www.wickandwireco.com.au/collections/box-mods

Note: Most box mods will use rechargeable batteries that can either be recharged in the mod itself, but can also be recharged using an external charger (i.e. You can extend the usable time on the device by simply swapping in a new battery). A very few box mods have fixed non-removable batteries that cannot be easily replaced, as in when the battery dies, so does the mod (unless youre a tinkerer).

If you come back with some ideas on gear you have looked at and want advice or pros and cons, someone will chirp in
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 25-10-17 at 04:58 PM.
    Fatman, Danny76, Jemor53 and 2 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Some great advice above. All I can add it to get him involved with your choices because....... He has to hold it, vape it, charge it and basically do all the tinkering that every setup needs.

If you can get him into a local Bricks & Motar store where he can see how big or small things are, how they fit in his hand etc you will save a lot of stabbing in the dark. My last bit of advice is to remember that vaping does not have to be all or nothing just yet. He can do both until he finds the setup he feels ok with.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    As well as the Innokin T22, Have a look at the the T20 which is a different shape and the newer device. Both are very easy to use. The Aspire Pockex is another that would very good.

All of these devices are very easy to use, but don't forget to order some spare coils as well. Follow the instructions for priming the coils because they can burn instantly if you do not. Once you find something he can use happily, get a second one as a spare. This is vital so that there's something to use while the other is charging, or worst case if it gets dropped and broken or malfunctions.

The only way to mostly avoid chemicals is to vape unflavoured liquid. All flavourings are artificial except for NETs (Naturally Extracted Tobacco) and I can't recommend them for a first time user because any natural flavours gunk up the coils very quickly indeed. Whereas the coils will normally last one or two weeks, NETs will often destroy coils in only a few days, or even quicker. It's the one case where natural flavingorings may not actually be more healthy.

Most smokers do want a tobacco flavour to start with, but change later on once they make the psychological switch from smoking to vaping. At that point they want to get as far away from tobacco flavours as possible.

The key is to buy several different flavours to see what works. Everyone is different and will really like different things. What I like someone else might really hate.

In the first instance you might want to try some of the tobacco vapes from Mixology in New Zealand: https://www.mixologyvape.co.nz/produ...xeliq/tobacco/
    Have a look at some of the range of other flavours and brands they have as well and see what appeals to him. I would recommend 12mg/ml for the nicotine content, but he may need something higher or lower. Do get a range flavours, but don't overspend until you work out what his ideal nicotine content is. Higher nicotine means you can vape less, but may not be tolerated as well. Low nicotine means that you vape all the time but get no real satisfaction; that's why we recommend the 12mg/ml because it's the happy medium for most people.

Don't worry about a bronchodilator. A few weeks after he starts vaping he'll start coughing up stuff from his lungs as they start to recover. Don't be too worried about the timing... Some people are a few days, others take many weeks. For me, it was grey streaks that I coughed up first thing in the morning, and it went on for quite a long time (35 years smoking takes it's toll). If he's in the very early stages of the disease, the recovery can be really miraculous.

For this to be successful, he still really has to want to give up. He will have some brilliant days vaping, but you can still get the odd bad day where you have to problem solve issues or you decide you suddenly hate a flavour. Problem solving for these simple devices is usually down to charging, changing the coil, or maybe wiping the electrical contacts because they are dirty and playing up.

Yes nicotine on it's own can have a bit of flavour, but to be honest he won't be able to tell until his tastes buds start to recover. That can many weeks or even months for some people. I think my senses of taste and smell continued to improve for at least 12 months.

Congrats for giving vaping a go, and good on you for helping him. It's not easy in the current political climate where there is so much misinformation.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Wow, you folks are amazing! So much great advice here from each of you. I learnt more just from this thread than I have for over a week browsing the net and getting confused.

I showed my hubby the Innokin T18 amd T20 and he didn't like the pen style at all. A friend of his had one and went back to smoking so he has it in his head that they're all the same. I showed him the Aspire Breeze and he was like "meh, okay I'll try it". But after reading your comments, I showed him the Aspire Zelos and he straight away said "yep, that one!" with a hint of enthusiasm.

If I can't drag him down to a local B&M store to get a feel of them, I'll buy the Aspire Zelos to begin with online. If he likes it, I'll straight away purchase the 5ml tank so it can last him all day and I'll get him the Innokin T22 to try and keep as a backup. It looks a bit boxier than a straight pen so he may be okay with it. I'll also get spare coils for both.

For the juice, I'll order mostly unflavoured 50:50 PG/AV juice with nicotine of different strengths ranging from 18mg, down to 6mg. I figure if the 18 is too strong, I can mix it with the 6mg to reduce it down to about a 12. I'll get different kinds of tobacco flavours and if they're too strong then we can mix a little with the unflavoured one to his liking. I'll get some other mild juices for him to try.

Interesting about the PG:VG ratio. I thought I read somewhere that high PG can give a sore throat or a hard throat hit (whatever that means lol) but it's the other way around? Or is that only if someone has a sensitivity to PG? I'm super paranoid that he'll take a drag, have a coughing fit and give up on it without giving it a decent chance. I called one of the vendors earlier and they told me he should begin taking small puffs at first. Does that seem about right to you? Should he not inhale it into his lungs right away?

Until he falls in love with vaping, I'll be doing all the mixing, charging, filling, changing coils, ordering juices, etc. because I know if he finds any of it to be a PITA, he'll just go back to the smokes. I can see myself eventually becoming curious and ending up having a drag and getting addicted to vaping myself lol. I'll be his vape buddy if it means saving his life.

Thanks again guys, you're all so fantastic!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverdreams View Post
    I showed my hubby the Innokin T18 amd T20 and he didn't like the pen style at all. A friend of his had one and went back to smoking so he has it in his head that they're all the same. I showed him the Aspire Breeze and he was like "meh, okay I'll try it". But after reading your comments, I showed him the Aspire Zelos and he straight away said "yep, that one!" with a hint of enthusiasm.
    There's nothing wrong with the tube type vapes. They are not really "pen" styles because the diameter is 2cm - just under and inch. It's not the format in any case, since it's really just a battery that provides a current and they all do much the same thing. The really big difference is what's on top, the atomiser, and most of the "pen" styles are older technology with a really tight draw and are not as efficient at delivering nicotine and flavour. No matter in any case - go with what he thinks is attractive.

If I can't drag him down to a local B&M store to get a feel of them, I'll buy the Aspire Zelos to begin with online. If he likes it, I'll straight away purchase the 5ml tank so it can last him all day and I'll get him the Innokin T22 to try and keep as a backup. It looks a bit boxier than a straight pen so he may be okay with it. I'll also get spare coils for both.
    Going to a B&M is a great idea, but you might want to ring them and find out if they have what he wants to look at. There's such a huge range of kits available now that vape shops usually can't stock all of them. Most will select some that fit into different categories like beginner, MTL (mouth to lung), DL (direct lung) and advanced systems (dripping atomisers, high power mods, temperature control etc).

For the juice, I'll order mostly unflavoured 50:50 PG/AV juice with nicotine of different strengths ranging from 18mg, down to 6mg. I figure if the 18 is too strong, I can mix it with the 6mg to reduce it down to about a 12. I'll get different kinds of tobacco flavours and if they're too strong then we can mix a little with the unflavoured one to his liking. I'll get some other mild juices for him to try.
    It sounds like you've got a good handle on it and aren't afraid of a bit of basic lab work. Double check your figures and ask if you need help but the maths is really simple. Small amounts can be measured with a syringe of the appropriate size. You'll also need a few spare bottles. 10ml and 30ml are the most useful to start off with. Mix small batches to start with, until you get things dialed in.

Interesting about the PG:VG ratio. I thought I read somewhere that high PG can give a sore throat or a hard throat hit (whatever that means lol) but it's the other way around? Or is that only if someone has a sensitivity to PG?
    Yes that's right. PG is only really a problem if you have some kind of sensitivity. This can be in varying degrees from someone not being able to vape high PG liquids (70:30 PG/VG like we used to use) to some people who can not tolerate any at all. Symptoms really vary: sharp pain that gets worse, chronic sore throat, and even rashes on the skin. Whatever the symptoms it's normally intolerable, but there's options that can be looked at. Don't worry too much - while we see a few people come here to find a solution for this problem, I think the real percentage of people who are PG intolerant is actually quite small.

I would recommend the 50/50 PG/VG as being most appropriate for MTL devices like you are looking at. Many juices are 30/70 PG/VG though and they should work fine in all modern devices. They are primarily designed for the DL (direct lung) vapers that draw huge amounts of vapour into their lungs. The high PG juices used in a DL device can be an irritant, even for a long term vaper. For what you are looking at though, 50/50 is fine and appropriate for a smoker making the transition.

PG provides more "throat hit" which is the tight thump at the back of the that smokers are used to. It's strange because most smokers don't really think in those terms until they start vaping, but lack of throat hit can be one reason for dissatisfaction with vaping.

VG as Style said can be heavier in the chest. This is because VG vapour can absorb more moisture from the air and is therefore thicker, and seems to have more effect on the lungs. The effects are temporary but uncomfortable. People who have smoked longer and have more damage seem to be affected more. After 35 years of smoking I simply can't run high power devices with high VG juices like some people. It doesn't really matter - you can get a satisfying vape no mater what your vaping style. He just has to find his style but the simple devices you are looking are definitely the place to start.

I'm super paranoid that he'll take a drag, have a coughing fit and give up on it without giving it a decent chance. I called one of the vendors earlier and they told me he should begin taking small puffs at first. Does that seem about right to you? Should he not inhale it into his lungs right away?
    Yes that is the problem - if people have a really bad first experience, there's a chance they may not stay with it long enough to find out what the problem is. The most common problem is not priming the coils properly. The cotton needs to be wet before you start vaping it otherwise it may not wick the juice in on it's own. Once it's wet it should be fine as long as there is juice in the tank.

Small puffs are fine to start. He'll soon get used to the slightly different sensation of vapour. It's thicker than smoke, and feels heavier in the throat and chest. Similar to how he got used to smoking, he will get used to vaping. He can take small puffs to the back of the throat and then blow it out his nose. The nicotine works better this way and it's my preferred method if I need to get my levels up quickly.

Until he falls in love with vaping, I'll be doing all the mixing, charging, filling, changing coils, ordering juices, etc. because I know if he finds any of it to be a PITA, he'll just go back to the smokes. I can see myself eventually becoming curious and ending up having a drag and getting addicted to vaping myself lol. I'll be his vape buddy if it means saving his life.
    We don't usually recommend that non-smokers take up vaping (or rather, we normally advise against it). While it is far, far safer than smoking we don't consider it to be totally risk free. If you decide to try it so that you understand it better I'd recommend that you do it with liquids that do not contain any nicotine. That way, you don't have to worry about nicotine addiction (fairly slight in my opinion) and it's likely to be only an occasional thing in any case. Of all the reasons someone might give to try vaping, supporting your husband in switching to vaping is probably one of the best I've come across.

Ask any questions you have - We always say the only stupid question is the won you DON'T ask.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by fabricator4; 26-10-17 at 12:57 AM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Some great advice above. All I can add it to get him involved with your choices because....... He has to hold it, vape it, charge it and basically do all the tinkering that every setup needs.

If you can get him into a local Bricks & Motar store where he can see how big or small things are, how they fit in his hand etc you will save a lot of stabbing in the dark. My last bit of advice is to remember that vaping does not have to be all or nothing just yet. He can do both until he finds the setup he feels ok with.
    I agree with Xx
    Silverdreams likes this.

AVF Regular
    I recommend jumping over to this post and entering the comp this might be a chance to pickup a rig for free
    emu and Silverdreams like this.

Thanks Fabricator4. The math is actually the only think I'm comfortable with lol. The rest is all confusing.

Today I found a B&M store that's close by that has the Aspire Zelos in stock so we'll pop around on the weekend. Maybe he'll change his mind about a pen style if he gets to handle one. Thanks for telling me that he will get more nicotine if he doesn't inhale it all the way in. I'll pass that little tip on to him.. as well as everything else.

Yeah, I get that I probably shouldn't take up vaping but I see it this way.. I've been inhaling his second hand smoke for so many years, inhaling some vapour instead now and then to keep him company is probably going to be better for me as well. I doubt I would get addicted but if I do, I'll be sure to taper off the nicotine. I personally don't believe nicotine is any worse than caffeine to be honest. I think it's the other 4000 odd chemicals in cigis that is the real danger.

Chris, thank you for the link for the competition. I think though if we pay for it, he may be more committed to giving it a real go. I don't care what it costs, I just want him to be happy and healthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast