Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Difference in Dry Burning

Difference in Dry Burning

Okay, I'm still trying to get the dry burning on my stardusts right, so... if I have rinsed out after using, and the stardust is wet, is this a dry burn to just dry it out to use, or classed as an actual 'cleaning form of dry burn'. Sorry for the noob question, but I'm only a few week user of these things, and read so much I'm now confused. I do see the coil glow, but there is a lot of condensation in there too, so is that right, or am I trying to do a cleaning form of dry burning while it's still too wet?

If someone could explain the difference between how to dry burn to just dry it to use quickly, and how to dry burn to clean the coils of gunk. thanks.
    ozydevil likes this.
    JuiceWhore Sig

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    Okay, I'm still trying to get the dry burning on my stardusts right, so... if I have rinsed out after using, and the stardust is wet, is this a dry burn to just dry it out to use, or classed as an actual 'cleaning form of dry burn'. Sorry for the noob question, but I'm only a few week user of these things, and read so much I'm now confused. I do see the coil glow, but there is a lot of condensation in there too, so is that right, or am I trying to do a cleaning form of dry burning while it's still too wet?

If someone could explain the difference between how to dry burn to just dry it to use quickly, and how to dry burn to clean the coils of gunk. thanks.

Have a look in this thread, may help you???

Lesson to learn before ordering anything.
    margyb likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Another link on dry burning stardusts by Stoney here

Post 17

http://forums.aussievapers.com/gener...st-died-2.html
    Robray likes this.

Thanks everyone. I had read the one by stoney, but not the other one you made Robray. I stop as soon as the coil goes red - the first time, so maybe I'm stopping too early?

Another thing I've read too, is after rinsing out, if using straight away you're fine, but if not using for a while (I guess a day or more), drop a drop of liquid down the coil part. Maybe mine are dying out from the rinse and tasting too dry when I use them a few days, something a week later. Would I be best dropping a drop of my juice down the battery part when it's dry, and while I'm not using it? thanks

PS. congrats on your 6 months margyb, just read that thread earlier. Well done!
    JuiceWhore Sig

Okay, I've done the dry burn further than I have before. A bit of smoke, not a lot, and it was glowing - could even see it through the side of the silicone cap. It smells a bit plasticy, and has smelt like that before too, but have I done it too far this time? I've now rinsed it out, and wicks aren't really white, still some dark spots towards the edge. I really don't see what I'm missing here. very confused guys.
    JuiceWhore Sig

the smoke smells plasticky at times, as long as you let it cool now and then it wont melt the thing, remember the wick gets hot pretty quick so there is no need to hold it on for ages as that heats everything up and may damage something, hence the pulsing allows everything to cool off a bit but still gets the wick hot enough to remove crud.
    You keep going till the smoke stops, while it smokes its still burning the crap off, the wick should be fairly white ir greyish at the end, any black usually means its not quite there, sometimes it is likely impossible to get off tho, carbon wont burn as such.
    It should taste pretty much like new at the end, if it tastes burnt then you didn't get it all.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Thanks stoney.

It definitely isnt smoking anymore, and didn't smoke much at all. I'm looking at the silicone cap and not sure it could be a bit strange looking one side, but i never studied it before. reckon it's okay to use? it's not dark or burnt looking.

The wicks are not that clean looking thats the thing, and trying to dry burn doesn't seem to do much and I have really pushed this one. I did eat dinner and let it cool down, and it went straight to orange glow so stopped, but the wicks are white with a browish tinge across the top. the wicks go like this when i start to use pretty quick.

is there a vodka soak or something that might be better for the dry burn useless people like me?
    JuiceWhore Sig

how does it taste, thats the only important factor. dry burning won't make it look new but it should fix up the flavour.
    if it goes red straight away, thats a good sign its clean, its pretty apparent when its all gunked up.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

I haven't tried it as I thought maybe I'd screwed it by the smell of the plastic. I think the cap is a little more square looking, but never noticed if it was like that before. I rinsed it out again and left it just to drain dry. The water never is dirty either. maybe I'm trying to clean things and they're not even that dirty. Tried to get the cap off with tweezers but the new cone ones wont let you do it.

I'm wondering if I let them air dry too long without anything in them, and then they taste really dried out. Sometimes they are just good to go, and something they just taste a bit off.
    JuiceWhore Sig

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Its difficult to get the ends of the wick white. The only thing that is affected by a dry burn is the coil and the wick inside the coil. At the points where the wick exits the coil, these will remain mostly discolored. One thing I have done to renovate the dark bits is to leave the tank full of Hydrogen Peroxide. This will bleach the wick to pristine condition. A good rinse and they are good to go. The peroxide will not have ant effect on the wick where it passes through the coil, if the dry burn hasn't destroyed all the accumulated crud in the wick. Personally I dont overly worry about leaving them to dry out. Just flush with whiskey or whatever your tipple and fill with your ejuice. A couple or three pulls without the firing button and you are good to go.
    margyb likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast