Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: I need a change!

AVF Regular

I need a change!

Hey all!

Basic introduction:
    I'm 21, started smoking occasionally at 18. Since moved to about half a pack of 8mg cigarettes a day, this can vary to up to a whole (25) pack in just a night if I'm stressed, drinking, etc. Thing is, mostly I don't even CRAVE nicotine; I find the action therapeutic on its own. I consider it more a mental/emotional habit than a physical addiction. Health factors aside, it's reached a point where I can't justify paying so much (up to $100 a week - RIDICULOUS) on my meagre uni budget.

Anyway, given the nature of my "addiction" I stumbled across vaping and thought it might be perfect for me, particularly for those long nights doing assignments where I don't really want nicotine, but end up chain smoking anyway. People have suggested chewing gum, mints or "healthy" snacks, but these DO NOT even compare for me so I want something a little closer to the action I'm used to. Not necessarily looking to cut all cigarettes STRAIGHT away - I LOVE to smoke when I drink, which is only once every few weeks - so I think I'll have to work up to that.

In the meantime I've been browsing the forums and have seen many suggesting the Joye Ego T and Ego C, but there's so much out there. I don't really care if I have something that doesn't "look" like a real cigarette, just not something TOO bulky or "bong"-looking. :P

I'm looking for a reasonable throat hit and a reasonable amount of vapor because a long exhale really lets me focus on my breathing and relax. I'm really not sure about buying nic or what I should get/need because as I said, I rarely find myself "craving" that throughout the day, I only really smoke 8mg because I like the throat hit they give.

Anyway, I posted all of this junk because I figure it might give more of an indication of what I'm after. Any suggestions? Anyone who was in a similar situation who has advice?

Thanks a lot!

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Morning Thereupon

Dont know what you are doing up at this time of the morning, at your age I was comatose after a good night out!!

Anyway, as soon as the rest of the mob get out of bed, you will have so many suggestions you wont know right from left. All will have their merits for sure. My advice is keep it simple. You sound as if you need the gear for Theroputic value only??

My advice for what its worth would be eGo batterys and low resistance Vision Stardust clearo thingies. Vapeking is the first vendor that springs to mind, but there are a few others here in Aus. Plenty of juice there as well. Go for a browse around.

Good luck and if you think you will need nicotine, get it coming from overseas soon.
    Thereupon likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Welcome to AVF
    OK now to what you will want;
    I would start at HealthCabin, purely because you can get all you need in the one site, including nic juice.
    http://www.healthcabin.net

"I'm looking for a reasonable throat hit and a reasonable amount of vapor because a long exhale really lets me focus on my breathing and relax."
    0mg Menthol juice will do that for you, as will most mint flavors like spearmint, 80% PG 20% VP to start with is a good mix, then if you need more fog(vapor) you can add a bit more VG, until you find the right blend to your liking.
    You can either buy it premixed or buy flavor concentrate (menthol, spearmint or any other) + PG + VG & mix it yourself, I find mixing it myself is better, since you can adjust the flavor strength & PG/VG ratio more to your liking, where with premixed juice, all you can do is dilute it with PG or VG.

If you don't like menthol or mint so much, you can use any flavor you like, HC has over 200 different concentrates to choose from., for the throat hit add a little vodka to the juice, 1%-2% to start with, then adjust to your own taste.
    So I would buy 2x 110ml bottles of PG & 1 x 110mlVG & some 10ml flavor concentrates, they are cheap so maybe grab 5-6 that you think you will like.

"Not necessarily looking to cut all cigarettes STRAIGHT away - I LOVE to smoke when I drink, which is only once every few weeks - so I think I'll have to work up to that."
    I think, if you are able to use 0MG nic juice most of the time, then when you drink, you could use 12mg or 18mh nic juice & be just as satisfied as having a smoke.
    So buy some(at least 30ml) 36mg 80% PG 20%Vg flavorless, nic juice, to mix with your 0mg juice I mentioned above & mix at 50/50(for 18mg) then add a bit more flavor concentrate to it & you have your drinking vape sorted

As Robray pointed out, Stardusts are popular for convenience but many prefer Boge LR cartomizers, which give better flavor & need just a bit more filling between vapes. If I was you, I'd try both out & see what you prefer, 1-2 stardusts & 5LR Boge cartomizers, maybe 1 or 2 SR Boges too but LR Boges are more likely what you will want.

Any eGo/Riva type battery will do but if you don't want to be charging them all the time get them in 900mah or 1100mah for longer lasting vaping.

You will also need:
    3 or 4 30ml mixing bottles
    2 x10ml syringes
    1x blunt needle 18 gauge
    1x 1ml syringe for flavor concentrates, if you get a mint/menthol & also fruit flavors then get 2 of these & use 1 for the mint, 1 for the fruits.
    A USB charger for your batteries & a wall charger adapted for the USB charger.
    a drip tip or two, they are cheap, I would try a few different styled ones
    1x SR atomizer, for drip testing your juices before filling a carto with juice you aren't happy with.

I don't think I have missed anything you will need here but I'm sure if I have, someone else will pick me up on it

"Health factors aside, it's reached a point where I can't justify paying so much (up to $100 a week - RIDICULOUS) on my meagre uni budget."
    Everything I listed here should come in under $100, including postage & will keep you vaping for a minimum of 2 weeks, depending on how much nic juice you use it could last you over a month.
    Then after you have all the hardware, you will just need more juice & maybe some replacement cartos which will be even cheaper for you, next time round. Then you will also have a better idea of what you need & can buy appropriately.
    Last edited by Noe; 04-07-12 at 07:51 AM.
    zainwolf, London Fog and Thereupon like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

CCC
    I agree with Rob, visit the Vapeking.com website and get the eGo batteries with Stardust clearomisers, they also sell really nice liquids. (you will also need an eGo charger). If you don't want nicotine in your liquid just get the single shot liquids, the double shots are made to be mixed with nic. If you end up going for a starter kit, i think the eGo-C would be the best, and you can just grab Stardusts as extras.
    Thereupon likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Thereupon View Post
    Hey all!

Basic introduction:
    I'm 21, started smoking occasionally at 18. Since moved to about half a pack of 8mg cigarettes a day, this can vary to up to a whole (25) pack in just a night if I'm stressed, drinking, etc. Thing is, mostly I don't even CRAVE nicotine; I find the action therapeutic on its own. I consider it more a mental/emotional habit than a physical addiction. Health factors aside, it's reached a point where I can't justify paying so much (up to $100 a week - RIDICULOUS) on my meagre uni budget.

Anyway, given the nature of my "addiction" I stumbled across vaping and thought it might be perfect for me, particularly for those long nights doing assignments where I don't really want nicotine, but end up chain smoking anyway. People have suggested chewing gum, mints or "healthy" snacks, but these DO NOT even compare for me so I want something a little closer to the action I'm used to. Not necessarily looking to cut all cigarettes STRAIGHT away - I LOVE to smoke when I drink, which is only once every few weeks - so I think I'll have to work up to that.

In the meantime I've been browsing the forums and have seen many suggesting the Joye Ego T and Ego C, but there's so much out there. I don't really care if I have something that doesn't "look" like a real cigarette, just not something TOO bulky or "bong"-looking. :P

I'm looking for a reasonable throat hit and a reasonable amount of vapor because a long exhale really lets me focus on my breathing and relax. I'm really not sure about buying nic or what I should get/need because as I said, I rarely find myself "craving" that throughout the day, I only really smoke 8mg because I like the throat hit they give.

Anyway, I posted all of this junk because I figure it might give more of an indication of what I'm after. Any suggestions? Anyone who was in a similar situation who has advice?

Thanks a lot!
    Hi Thereupon,

I very much know the feeling of those long nights studying or doing assignments where ducking outside for a cigarette is impractical so you smoke over your computer and try and juggle a smoke while you type.

If your budget is low and you want to save some money right away, I would suggest starting with the eGo-C Twist battery/ies. I'm sure you're smart enough to figure it out just twist the bottom to turn the voltage up and down, giving you differences in vapour warmth and density. They're about $25 each. Then all you need is a charger for it and some atomisers/cartomisers/clearomisers oh and juice! I would suggest (most will agree that both are good for a beginner due to ease of use, performance, etc..) getting an eGo-C atomiser body, some replacement atomiser heads (get the standard resistance for twist, low resistance for standard ego battery) and a couple of stardusts. The Stardust V2's are excellent and about $5-6 each or you could get the Stardust Changeable Coil for $5. The replaceable coil are an excellent vape.

If I had to choose a setup under $50, it would be an eGo-Twist battery and the Stardust Changeable Coil clearomisers.

You'll be able to get all your hardware within Australia and I know of one or two vendors that stock all these items.
    Thereupon likes this.

(*Susceptible to sloppy moderation)

AVF Regular
    Thanks everyone! Your responses have been awesome and very helpful. I've been browsing different retailers and will hopefully place an order later tonight! Cheers!

AVF Regular
    I finally ordered my stuff last night after a few more days of research. Ended up reading a tonne of threads about mixing as I'd prefer to learn that right away, since it doesn't seem difficult and looks like the way to save money on juice.

Ended up going for the Ego C Twist, ordered some Stardusts (got a few different versions including the changeable coils) and most of the DIY / mixing equipment as recommended by Noe earlier up. Ended up getting some nic as well (36mg so I can cut it down and work out what suits me) because although I don't feel THAT dependent on it, I don't want to find myself having to order it later when I realise how much I do actually need it haha. Also got a bunch of flavour concentrates to try as they were relatively cheap.

Just a total n00b question regarding the portability of the Stardusts / clearomisers: I bought a hard case to put my stuff in so it's not just rattling around loose in my bag. If I have juice in the Stardust(s), is it going to leak out into the case? I.e. can they be full or will I have to fill them every time I vape? (Sorry if that's a totally stupid question!)
    Last edited by Thereupon; 09-07-12 at 12:33 PM.

Stardusts should be fine and shouldn't raelly leak, so fill and go.

RC

the Vibrating Hills (still shakin) of South Gippsland
    I've found the stardusts to be pretty robust, bouncin round the tractor or fourby hasnt made them leak.only had 1 leak cause I didnt do the drip tip up

Warning!!! you are now entering a politically Incorrect zone ..............Welcome to Freedom of Speech and Self Determination

AVF Regular
    You have a good starter kit their. The 510 connection means you can try many different things with the same batteries, and the variable voltage of the twists give you a chance to see if VV is something you really like.

When I started I bought a heap of cases and stuff, but never used any of them, as just like smoking I prefer to put stuff in my pockets when i am out and about. They don't mostly dont leak, but when I go out I usually just stick some juice and the stardusts, eco tanks, etc in a small plastic zip lock bag, just to be safe, as from time to time I have ended up with a pocket full of juice but, its a rare occurance.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast