Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: ANother newbie question re USB passthroughs

ANother newbie question re USB passthroughs

Hi again,
    I just read a post on another forum that alarmed me, saying you really shouldn't use your USB passthrough on your PC as you risk frying your PC. They suggested having it plugged in instead to a power point USB adapter.
    Is this true - has anyone ever had this happen, as my PC is my 'baby' & I'd be totally lost without it.
    Since I started last week I've had my passthrough plugged in to my PC 24/7, although not always in use.

Also - I'm a bit scared about vaping on something that's plugged straight into electricity ...

mmm. i use a passthrough..on both a laptop and desktop systems (high end). It has never been an issue. The voltage is regulated by your motherboard and it will only put out 12v max. Id like to see the post you speak of regarding frying your PC. As far as using a passthrough on a power point USB adaptor goes, well.. they have an inbuilt transformer to knock the voltage down to 12v so u wont fry yourself there either. Although it may not make a big difference, i use med to high end PSU's in my gear, mainly because my systems run 24/7 and a more expensive PSU has more stability across the rails and has a better fan (less noise), i got sick on modding PSU's with better fans.
    "It's a Grower....Not a 'Shower'!!!" - Bender B. Rodriguez

CCC
    You cant believe everything you read on "another forum"

AVF Regular
    I just have a cheap netbook from Dodo and my ego pass throughs when in use are plugged in and hit hard... netbook is just fine

OK.
    The post is here: (post #19)
    Questions about the eGo-C - Page 2

My PC is a Core 2 quad Q6600.

Quote Originally Posted by sixties View Post
    OK.
    The post is here: (post #19)
    Questions about the eGo-C - Page 2

My PC is a Core 2 quad Q6600.
    "the below is all just my opinion"
    Excellent point regarding potential damage to the PC. This is true for charging batteries, using a pass-through or whatever - (I've done this but) it's kind of silly to risk frying $XXX.xx or more PC doing something you could have done with a $5 wall charger. Or a $10, or whatever they're gettin' for those things in your neck o' the woods. Also, a pass-through (I think) needs more power than it can draw from a PC's USB port, and it will probably try its best to suck it outta there.
    The above user has little technical expertise and it shows in his explanation. If you underpower a device, the device fails prior to power source (this happens frequently with noobs and new vid cards). I don't deny the fact that there may be few (very few) that have damaged their computers USB port or motherboard. I have a custom built gaming system, cost me 3k at the time, i have NO troubles plugging in a usb passthrough and hitting it hard. Each user must ensure they make their own educated decision regarding things like this, i hesitate to say "yes" or "no" but i can tell you this.. If i had your computer I would have no hesitation using a USB passthrough.
    Noe likes this.

AVF Regular
    depends on the passthrough.
    Some have a battery in them or like the one above are actually just ego batteries with a USB charger you plug in the bottom.
    You're pretty safe with an ego as it's really just keeping the battery charged.
    There are some passthroughs that have no or very small batteries and draw all or most of their power from USB and are not designed to be plugged into a PC as they will be drawing more Amps than the 500mA that your PC's USB port can provide and you run the risk of blowing the USB port
    Rylee74 likes this.
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

Ah, thanks for that. Mine is an Ego, with a rechargeable battery that you put in it, so it sounds like it should be safe enough.

One other question, if in the future I upgraded to something like an Ego C, would this 510 passthrough work on that, or would I have to get one specifically designed to go with the Ego C ?

I read this d1git.. seems interesting.. My passthrough has no batt.. but seems ok on the 'draw' might be the cheaper 'generics' that have excessive draw issues. http://www.digikey.com/Web%20Export/...f?redirected=1
    the other option regarding this could be to use a HUB. That way if you fry anything it will be the hub and not the the poly fuse on the mobo.
    Last edited by Rylee74; 29-07-12 at 12:13 PM.

not all USB ports are fused at all, polyswitches don't blow, they reset when they cool down.
    current draw on a non battery PT is set by atty resistance not price.
    best to avoid using them on a PC at all not a fan.
    ego PT battery ,. fine.
    ozydevil and Rylee74 like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast