Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Wanting to mix my own juice for the first time - Overwhelmed dont know what to order!

Wanting to mix my own juice for the first time - Overwhelmed dont know what to order!

Hi there, my name is Manda. I am new to "vaping and e-cigs" I have had a V2 cig for about a month now and have decided I want to try to fill my own cartridge thingies because the postage is ridiculous. I used to smoke a 40pk of Longbeach 8's a day. I bought the V2 because I was told it would be easy to use.

I have bought an adapter so I can use the readily available 501 Boge cartridges and have trialed some of Juicewhores flavor doublers and now I want to order my nicotine liquid and mix myself some juice for the cartridges. However, I am thoroughly confused. The pre-filled V2 cartidges I like are 12mg. I figure since the flavours are called "doublers" I am assuming you mix it 50/50 with nicotine liquid. But what the heck is this PG VG business and what strength nicotine do I order to get close to what I get in the pre-filled?

My head hurts

The experts will be along soon I'm sure, and I'm no expert having only just mixed my first batch but the easiest way will be:

Buy 24mg nic unflavoured juice
    Buy Juicewhore doubler flavour of your choice

Mix 50% nic juice with 50% doubler and you'll have 12mg juice

In terms of PG/VG ratios you'll have to wait for someone else though ......

Oh wow! So quick with the reply! Thats what I figured, but funnily enough everywhere seems to say 48mg nic juice is the way to go... I wonder why? I am betting that in the next few months I'll be looking to upgrade to something with more life than these cartridge things (I seem to go through 1-2 a day) but I am still craving the whole smoking action. I am loving the flavors and in a moment of weakness (drunken) had a cigarette and spat everywhere cause it tasted BAD so I must be halfway there..

CCC
    The prefilled cartos you get are usually PG based, so i would just get 24mg PG nic liquid if i was you. Then get your doublers with some VG in it, doesnt really matter how much, you just need some to produce the vapor. You will also need to get some empty bottles and a syringe or pipette to do the mixing. You are right, you just mix the nic liquid 50/50 with doublers. You can get the unflavoured nic liquid from Healthcabin or RTSVapes.

CCC
    48mg nic is recommended if you dont know what strength you need, but seeing as you know you like 12mg, it just keeps it simple to get 24mg.

I the words of doctor hook, thank you thank you oh thank you!
    While I'm getting some responses can anyone tell me why some of the cartridge things last a whole day and why some dont and taste burnt? Is it something I am doing wrong?

AVF Regular
    As limbot said buying 24mg unflavoured nic is the simplest way.

There are 4 main ingredients in nic juice. Nicotine (pure is 1000 mg), PG , VG and concentrated flavour.

Usually a concentrated flavour makes up 5 to 10 % of your juice depending on how strong it is. Most buy nicotine for mixing at around 36 to 100 mg strength, as 1000 mg is very dangerous if not handled correctly.

To get it down to this from pure 1000 mg either pg and/or vg is mixed into it to dilute it by your supplier.

Pg generally is thinner and doesn't mask the flavour, but produces less vapour, and vg is thicker produces more vapour but can dumb down the flavour. Most juice you buy premixed uses around 80% pg and 20% vg, but what % you use is up to you.

So doubler flavours are made up with double the normal flavour plus some vg\pg in it. You then add in the same amount of unflavoured nic mixed down to double the nic content you want and end up with a flavoured nic juice at the nic content you want.

If you buy say 48mg unflavoured nic juice and want to end up with 12 mg flavoured made from a doubler you will need to add one 50% doubler, 25% 48 mg juice (ie 48 divided by 4 equals 12 ) and 25% vg and or pg depending on what you like.
    Last edited by Mickg33; 13-09-12 at 02:16 PM.

AVF Regular
    You need to be more specific are you using cartridges or cartomisers .

I think you must be using cartomisers. Anyway a cartomisers holds about 1ml off juice. Most vape 2 to 3
    Mls of juice a day. A cartomisers has a heating coil inside surrounded by a white cotton wool like looking substance. The cotton wool is what absorbs and holds the juice and rests on the heating element, and feeds the juice to it.

If the cotton wool dries out, when it gets empty, the heating element will burn the wool and produce a burnt taste. Once you burn them they can't be refilled and they are wrecked. It's best to fill them up again before you get to that stage as they can be filled up around 5 times before you need to bin them. Look up a YouTube on filling cartomisers and you will see how easy it is.

Why some last longer than others? Well depends how much you vape on it during the day, and sometimes how much juice is put in the thing, or how well the wool like stuff wicks the juice to the heating element when it is getting empty.
    Last edited by Mickg33; 13-09-12 at 02:19 PM.

Aha! I think I am using a cartomizer, doubt I can change that while still using a V2 so I guess I am stuck with refilling them. Seems really odd, I opened a coffee flavored one before bed last night, had about 5 good pulls on it, then had another 10 or so before work this morning, another go at smoko of about the same and by lunch time I got two good pulls and then the burnt taste. Was so cross! I have been "topping up" my cartomizers with Del's yummy flavors to try to make them last me til my next order comes through. I used the "condom" method. Maybe I will need to move on from cartomizers to something else, does this mean I can no longer use the V2 base though? Oh my another great big can of worms I bet!?!

Most people who use the cartomisers fine that dark juices like coffee ones will clog up the filler (cotton wool looking stuff) and cause dry hits and a burnt taste as it can't get the juice through to the heating element any more so the filler dries out and burns.

If you have the adapter to use the cartomisers, you should be able to use almost anything on your V2, however, whether the V2 will have enough oomph to power them properly may be a different problem. Others may know more about it though as I have never used a cigalike so am not sure how much power they have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast