Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New noob jumping right in! (juice help needed!)

Smile New noob jumping right in!

Hey Guys,

Perthite here!

Started on an elusion ecig a few years ago, helped a bit, but I started analogs again not long after having it.
    Didnt do much research on the subject...elusion seems crap compared to what Im seeing today.

Fast forward 2 years, WHOA, the scene is incredible!
    The past week I've read so much, watched so much vids, I'm so excited, I'm finding it hard to sleep.
    So much customisation, success stories, flavours, the list goes on.

I'm about to jump and complete my first order at ~$150. (No juice yet)
    Ego Twist 650 and 1000
    2 chargers
    Vivi Nova's, and some carto's to try. bottom coil kanger, stardust v3.
    Few other bits and bobs, accessories, etc.

Seems like a first good step.

The juice bit is doing my head in though.

Maths is NOT my forte!
    I'll definately be using a calcuator to help me.
    E-Liquid Calculator Ten Flavor's With Nicotine Plus PG/VG Adjusting seems good...

How reliable is it?

I figure I'm going to straight up buy 100mg Nictone, that way I have some to last me and I can mix any strength I'm after (The Ecig I had before were 11mg, and it needed to be a tad higher I think)

So I will get the below as the staple-
    60 ml of 100 mg/ml nicotine x 2
    110ml of VG
    110ml of PG

Few questions or hopefully confirmations I have.

1. Should I get 1 bottle of 100mg nictoine PG and 1 bottle of VG?

1. Does it matter if I get flavour concentrates or already made up liquid. I take it already made up liquid will dull the flavour when adding the nicotine (unless you can get a "doubler"). And concentrates I can make my own using the VG/PG.

2. If I do get an already made liquid, does using 100mg help to NOT dull the flavour(if its not a doubler)?

3. I hope someone can confirm with me an example, with me using the calc I listed -
    Say I have the nic and VG/PG ingredients, and I have a Cola 70% PG / 30% VG (Double Shot)

I am after to start with say - 5ml of 18mg nicotine at 70% PG / 30% VG.

I've put this in the calc -

Base Nicotine Level 100mg at 100VG%
    Target Nicotine 18mg at 70PG%/30VG%

Amount to make 5ml
    Water/Vodka/PGA 0%
    Cola 10% 70PG%/30VG%

= calculates to =

Recipe

(100mg)Nicotine E-Liquid 0.9 ml 18 drops 18 %
    Supplied 18 mg Nicotine per ml to Recipe

PG 2.8 ml 56 drops 56 %
    VG 0.3 ml 6 drops 6 %
    Water/Vodka/PGA 0 ml 0 drops 0 %
    (0mg) Flavor 1 1 ml 20 drops 20 %

I know questioning a calc is silly, but I can't do the maths to confirm it

1. Is the 10% flavour going to be enough, if its not strong enough, JUST adding more "cola" flavour will make the ratio's incorrect I gather....

If I can nail the juice mixing, and this calc helps, I'm going to be in for a really fun time.
    I'd much rather DIY then buy pre-mixed flavours with nicotine in them already.

If I fail miserably, I'll have to stick to premix flavours.

Looking forward to your assistance
    Ballza
    Last edited by ballza; 04-10-12 at 03:48 AM.

Super Moderator
    Yes, the calculator is correct. I'm not sure 20% will be strong enough flavour-wise if it's only a doubler. If it's a concentrate, it may be too strong.

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Yes, the calculator is correct. I'm not sure 20% will be strong enough flavour-wise if it's only a doubler. If it's a concentrate, it may be too strong.
    Thanks gtadmin, I've seen your maths posts while browsing I believe

In the case that it is a doubler, should I be doing a 50% mix?

Now I'm super excited and ordering tonight!

Super Moderator
    Probably, but you'll end up with 67PG33VG. The following is for 10ml:

1.8ml VG100
    5.0ml doubler (1.5ml VG 3.5ml PG)
    3.2ml PG0

Totals: 3.3ml VG 6.7ml PG (Close enough )

because i suck at math and my target level nic is 24mg for vaping. I buy 48mg-50mg nic and mix it 50/50 with a doubler.. Nice and easy. I use triplers 50/50 for extra flavour if required. My nic is 100vg most flavours and doublers are pretty much 100pg.. so when i mix. i get at least a 50/50 vg/pg ratio.
    "It's a Grower....Not a 'Shower'!!!" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Super Moderator
    For your consideration; 100% PG flavours are easier to work out the PG/VG ratios though For instance:

1.8ml VG100
    1.2ml VG0
    5.0ml PG doubler
    2.0ml PG0

Gives 18mg/ml 70PG30VG.

It would allow you anywhere up to 30mg/ml nic strength and still keep your desired 70PG30VG ratio.

Thanks, I see that result on the calc 3% diff isn't a big deal i would imagine, I also found if i change the nic to 36mg, it's a easy 50/50 mix. But makes 35%PG/65%VG, not a great difference.

The 50/50 mix sounds nice and easy Rylee, and I guess would be a great way to start and probably should be what I should start with being new to it all.
    But I like the sound of being able to mix and match to find a perfect combo, as the juice is just as important as the hardware by the sounds of it all.

The Elusion ecig I had was 11mg and it was not enough TH, I would try there 16mg one, but they want something silly for a 5 pack and I'd rather not waste the money. (plus it doesnt have any flavour)

Eitherway, you've confirmed I can count on the calc. And once I get all my equipment I can start tinkering about!
    It was very overwhelming at first, Once I get my stuff and start playing around I might write up a post of what I did to go about it all coming together for me.
    Being at work for 12 hours a night with nothing to do does help though, plenty of time to read and re-read and take it all in.
    Probably going to need a USB passthrough for my nightshifts I think...

EDIT: Thanks again gtadmin, you've put the nail in the coffin on my hardware order!

In the case of working with 100% PG flavours, I would assume getting 100% VG nicotine is the way to go then?
    Last edited by ballza; 03-10-12 at 12:34 AM.

Super Moderator
    You probably won't notice any difference, I don't

AVF Regular
    Rock on man, glad to hear another person taking the plunge.

Pre mixed juice aint so bad. I'd actually recommend it while u start out. I'm absolutely loving the RY4 from Health Cabin, its a tobacco with hints of caramel and vanilla. Only ordered a 10ml bottle unfortunately and it's going to be hard to stop myself from ordering any more.

Mixing yourself can add a lot of complexity to and already complex hobby. But it's not that difficult, i managed it

You do have to consider steeping though, some flavours need a week or so before they good to go.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

Pack a day smoker on the Winnie Blue 25's for around 9 years.
    I'm 28 and am starting to have enough.
    I've started myself on patches atm, and still having a few of my partners smokes though. I'm thinking I can get on to vaping and take the patches off, and hopefully reduce and even remove the nic content from my juice.

I've heard of this "steeping" but haven't read much into it, I think i'll read about that next.

From what I have read, its basically letting the juice sit in a dark place for 'x' amount of time, 'x' depending on the juice.
    Speed Steeping, opening the bottle and putting it in hot water until it cools, put the cap back on and let it sit in a dark corner.

Is it mainly tobacco flavours that need steeping?

To be honest, if I can find a great flavour that is not tobacco, I would rather do that.
    I want to try grape and cola to start with and probably some type of coffee flavour.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast