Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Why Steeping Your Juices is Important

Why Steeping Your Juices is Important

For those new to vaping, when your first few juices arrive you will invariably start to vape them straight away. This is totally understandable because you have nothing else to vape. If you are lucky enough, you will like the taste of your juices and are happy to continue vaping them. Sometimes though, you will not like the way they taste and you will either stick them in the back of the cupboard and buy some different ones, or you will persist and put up with an unpalatable juice because you either have no choice or you're a sucker for punishment.

This is where steeping comes in. Steeping is essentially the process of letting your juices sit for a period and allowing the molecules of flavour, VG, PG and nicotine to blend properly. What often happens is that the flavour will change. Sometimes very subtly, sometimes quite dramatically. The colour will often change too, light juices will become darker and dark juices even darker. This applies equally to premixes with nic from OS vendors as it does to 0 nic doublers you mix yourself with unflavoured nic juice. The one good thing about premixed OS juice is that it will already have a 1-2 week lead time to steep while it wings it's way to you.

There are many things occurring during this steeping process and since I only have an elementary understanding of it, I'll leave it to the veterans to elaborate on should they see fit. There are also many different schools of thought on the 'best' methods of steeping your juices. Again, I'll leave that out of this post as I simply haven't experimented enough using different methods. More often than not, it will be as simple as leaving them in a cool, dark place for a few weeks.

What I can say, and the main reason I am posting this now as a newbie of one month, is to tell you not to give up on a juice if you don't really like it when it's fresh. Give it a few weeks and go back and try it again, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised. This may not be the case every single time, but I would say that at least half, if not more of the juices I didn't really like at first have improved a lot with 3-4 weeks of steeping.

So cover your bases, buy enough different juices in small sizes so that you have something to vape that you like while the ones you weren't too keen on have a chance to improve. If they don't....hey, there's always the FS/FT forum.

VK tobacco juices need 4 weeks to steep properly IMHO. I have a few here that have hit the 8 week mark and oh my the taste is superlative. I treat steeping like a winemaker. The longer u can leave it the better. So for VK baccy ones. 4 week min -> 8 week optimal for steeping times. I believe that VG based juices need a little longer. I have from my own experience noticed that a PG juice will steep quicker than VG. (the experts may wish to elaborate or disprove my theory on this).
    <---cop and sixties like this.
    "It's a Grower....Not a 'Shower'!!!" - Bender B. Rodriguez

CCC
    I just give juices the smell test, if they smell strong they are good to go without steeping.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    I just give juices the smell test, if they smell strong they are good to go without steeping.
    Or just add more flavor concentrate, works for me
    CCC and Pete like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Do e juices steep faster in smaller quantities?
    wood duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullos View Post
    Do e juices steep faster in smaller quantities?
    The short answer is no.
    If you have a small amount in a large bottle it may react a little faster because of the extra air in the bottle but I don't think it would be a very noticeable difference.
    Steeping is very subjective though and different for everyone so it's kinda hard to say. For me if I don't like a flavor straight away I still don't like it even 3 months later. I know I am in the minority in this though.

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by wood duck View Post
    The short answer is no.
    If you have a small amount in a large bottle it may react a little faster because of the extra air in the bottle but I don't think it would be a very noticeable difference.
    Steeping is very subjective though and different for everyone so it's kinda hard to say. For me if I don't like a flavor straight away I still don't like it even 3 months later. I know I am in the minority in this though.
    Some juices that taste like arse originally taste more like arse after steeping too
    wood duck and Heavenly like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

I keep hearing that Noe. What does arse tatse like?

(couldn't resist)
    gtadmin, Ian and Fatman like this.

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by vapourize View Post
    I keep hearing that Noe. What does arse tatse like?

(couldn't resist)
    Not sure exactly, just heard others like Fatman describe some of their juices that way
    Fatman likes this.
    Essie's Glass DTs

AVF Regular
    I certianly hope my spliced lime improves with steeping. all I can taste is real lime flavour, its very strong, I cant taste the icecream in it yet. Hopefully steeping it will mellow the limeyness of it. the reviews said it tastes exactly like a lime split which it does not. Im going to take reviews with a grain of salt from now on.. I bought 30 mls >.< (when am I going to learn lol)

************************************************** ***************************************
    $489.52 spent on vaping

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast