AVF Regular

The Mark-IV - Variable Voltage - Bottom Feed Juice Box from Redskymods.com

Hi,
    uploadfromtaptalk1306389874412.jpg

(Pictured with GLV2 Super Mini, Reo Grand, Mark IV, Reo Mini & GLV2 5v for size comparisons)

I have had my Mark IV VV Wood bottom feeder now for 2 days. I had a quiet day in the office today so spent a lot of time playing with my new toy and thought I may as well do my first impressions review while I have time.

*Note Brian informed me yesterday that he now is happy to ship outside of the USA.

Cost USD$125 & USD$13 delivery, so all up USD$138 (AUD$130 delivered). This is an excellent price, the cheapest non VV Reo Woodvil will cost USD$175, and a VV Ali'i or Monkey box will cost you over USD$200 delivered.

Specifications
    Adjustable voltage from 0v to 7.4v. Adjustable with a screwdriver through a hole in the side.
    This mod uses dual IMR high drain 18350 batteries (700 mah each) with 510 connectors.
    Uses a 6 ml juice bottle and the 'Tilt & Shoot' method of atomizer refilling. However you can get the traditional (reo method) is you like.
    Sealed bottle and atomizer feed tube connector prevent leakage.
    Has a small wood catch cup.
    Timber construction - your choice of various timber types.
    Made in the USA.

It came extremely well packaged, much better than other mods I have received, so no worries about damage in transit. Over the last few days I have used a selection of 306/510 Atomisers of LR, SR & HV resistance. At voltages between 3v and 6vish. From a construction perspective, Brian clearly takes a lot of pride in putting these together. No gaps, all joins flush, atty connector perfectly straight, I couldn't find a fault in its finish. Brian was always quick in responding to my email questions.

All the mods have a metal tube running through the atomizer that is completely soldered into place. There is a flexible tube that attaches to the feed bottle. The feed bottle also has a metal tube in the tip of it. If the bottle has an inner tube running to the bottom, then when you squeeze it in the upright position it will fill the catch cup (traditional method). Others are 'tilt n shoot', there is no tube running to the bottom of the squeeze bottle, so you invert the mod, squeeze for two seconds and the atty tube drips fall directly onto the atty bridge/coil. Turn it back over and go back to vaping. You adjust the voltage with a tweaker/screwdriver through a hole in the side. It is set to 5 volts before shipping. Turn CW to increase voltage, about 1v per quarter turn.

It vapes exactly as you would expect, and I enjoy being able to fine tune the voltage, which I find is more beneficial with standard and HV atomisers. My Reo's run at about 4.1v with the IMR Batteries and with a LR atomiser is pretty close to my sweet spot anyway. This is my first VV so I cant compare it to a Provari etc unfortunately.

Pro's
    Best priced quality VV Wood Bottom Feeder available (that I could find)
    Quality Craftsmanship
    VV works well
    Just Pocket Friendly (looks about the same size as most of the full size Woodies)
    I got the Tilt & Shoot feed system to try something different, it works well, and rather than sucking up juice through the atomiser like the Reo, drips the juice directly onto the bottom of the Atty bridge. No non powered vapes are required, with this method, although some may not like having to turn it upside down each time.
    No leakage at all in side the box
    18350 batteries fit tightly and no rattle.
    It can take 16340 batteries (they will need some packing as they are smaller in diameter).
    Juice bottle is easy to fill and replace.
    Bigger than a Reo Grand but feels much lighter

Cons.
    Catch cup is too small, and you can get spillage if you really flood it. Once you get used to it though this shouldn't happen often.
    Voltage meter doesn't have a external dial, but is easily accessible with a screwdriver through a hole in the side.
    No Voltage meter, and because of the soldered needle in the atty connector you cant connect a 510 screw in voltage meter. I put a mark where 5v is and this then allows me to set it to close to what I want, depending on what resistance atty I am using and then I just fine tune from there. A quarter turn either way is about 1v.
    Like all box mods, i wouldn't want to drop it as the wood may crack.

This is only my first impressions, so I will report back after a week or so. Overall I think this is a great little VV box mod for the price, particularly compared to a VV Ali'i its main competition. I think the wood selections with the Reo Woodvils put them ahead looks wise, and the Reo Grand is sturdier, but they are both more expensive and not VV.

I am the sort of person that is usually prepared to pay alot more $ for a marginal improvement in looks/quality, so I think the Reo's Woodvil's or Ali'i would be worth a look before deciding. However if you want a VV wood bottom feeder that is available now, and can handle the minor cons, as I can, then I think its an excellent buy for the price.
    Last edited by Mickg33; 28-05-11 at 01:16 AM.

AVF Regular
    Its funny i have been struggling with this review. I think the reason is that usually in the ecig world i am prepared to pay top dollar for the best quality/looking device. This time i was aiming at getting a cheaper but good quality wood vv option, to try it out. New territory for me.

I dont think this is a top tier woody, as it doesnt have that extra 5% spit and polish to make it one, so i want to mark it down, but i cant forget it is $70 cheaper too. So yes it hasn't got the rounded sides of some mods, or made from the most expensive timbers, but it is put together with alot of care and pride, and craftsmanship, and most importantly also works well.

I think in summary this Quote from an email Brian sent me sums it up "I will try to keep my prices as low as I can, just because you can charge more and get away with it doesn't mean you should. Not everyone has a pocket full of money they can spend on mods and I would like to provide as many people with a quality alternative to smoking as I can. ........ and will charge only the cost of shipping and not some inflated fee."

Brian has done exactly what he has set out to do and done it well.
    Last edited by Mickg33; 28-05-11 at 02:05 PM.

AVF Regular
    I see on the ecf thread that the new vv now has a metal catch cup, and a volt meter, although i am sure it wont be 125 bucks anymore either.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...-mods-182.html

....UPDATE. My bad this was a one off at this stage..
    Last edited by Mickg33; 28-05-11 at 07:51 PM.

AVF Regular
    A week further down the track. Well my first impressions still stand, it is a good mod for the $'s. But unfortunately I am the sort of person that is prepared to pay 30% to 50% more for aesthetics ( better wood grains, style), and a bigger catch cup etc. If I had my time again I would have bought a Woodvil/Phidias/Ali'' woody. Sure I have $70 more in my pocket, but I soon forget that, and just remember its not as nice as the other woodies every time I use it.

Most aren't as fussy as me so don't be put off buying this mod if the price is right for you.

AVF Regular
    Still using and enjoying my Redsky VV. Like I said above I would have preferred to pay a little more for some improved aesthetics and a catch cup. Well looks like Brian has been listening, he has added better quality timbers, rounded sides and a catch cup to his line up (and justifiably charging $30 more for his VV). Check this little beauty out. (I went to buy it myself but just missed it while i was looking at it)newredsky.jpg

Pretty much covers all the minor aesthetic issues I had with mod. I am still using mine and it functions well. No reservations from me anymore about buying one. At $149 excl postage it is more expensive but still cheaper than all the competitors.
    Last edited by Mickg33; 17-06-11 at 09:11 AM.