Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    BananaMan

The Boge Revolution V2

I don't normally do reviews but I had the opportunity of getting a production Boge Revolution V2 hot off the line and thought I'd pass along my findings/thoughts.
    The first Revolution was a bit of a flop. While it had adjustable voltage (via PC software) the implementation was poor and it really didn't perform that well. The atomiser was not user replaceable and the battery was sealed inside the unit. Boge has been giving these away as complementary gifts..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The kit is very well presented in a nice box, although it could do without the printed bullet list of reasons to buy a Revolution V2 on the top - less is more..

Kit Contents:
    1 - Revolution V2 Personal Vapouriser
    1 - 10ml juice bottle and needle
    5 - 510 Boge Cartomisers (2.7 ohm)
    1 - USB 500mAH wall charger (with AU plug)
    1 - USB lead
    1 - Hand Strap
    1 - Instruction sheet

Like its predecessor, the Revolution V2 is also a "box mod", but that's where most of the similarity ends.
    This is a bigger unit for a start, mainly to accommodate the large capacity bottom feed juice bottle. It does feel comfortable to hold, but you'd need rather large hands to pull off a stealth vape. At the same time it is surprisingly light.
    With a 510 connection it handles most 306/510 cartomisers and atomisers, the larger diameter eGo types will work with an extension adaptor but that would render the juice feed redundant.
    The case finish is a black rubberised coating similar to that used on the Joye eGo - nice.

I thought Boge would have done away with a non removable battery in this new model, sadly no. All is not lost though, as you can vape whilst being connected to a USB power source - it isn't a true pass-through though, it simply charges the battery. The mini USB charging port is on the bottom of the PV, so it cant stand up while being charged.
    Access to the juice bottle is via a slide out hatch in the bottom of the unit. Removing a smaller hatch on the opposite side reveals a storage tube that can hold an atty or carto (without the silicon caps). The little lock tabs for the hatches will probably wear over time.

On the left side is a cutout for squeezing the bottle. When you hold the PV it seems natural to rest a finger on the bottle in readiness. At the top is a loop for tying the hand strap on.

The right side just has a 3-way power switch. Middle is off. Down enables power to the push button, although there is no indication to show it is actually armed. Up is curiously marked "ANION", and moving the switch to this position turns on a circle of flashing leds at the top of the unit - apparently this thing is a negative ion generator, all I can say is WTF?

The push button on the front is circled by a raised "protective" edge. This edging doesn't actually prevent misfires though as the button is domed and sits above it. The button is positioned in just the right place and has a nice positive click action.

Above the push button is a row of 3 LEDs.
    On charge the left LED shows Red, turning to Dark Green when charging is complete.
    Pushing the button to vape illuminates 1, 2 or all 3 Green LEDs to show the battery state - 1 for low capacity, 3 being full.

Sitting proud on top of the unit is the atomiser connection. This was a gold colour in the pre-production pictures, but now looks much better with a black chrome finish. The unit ships with a fancy blanking plug fitted in the connector, handy if you want to leave a filled bottle in without an atomiser screwed on, but I think mine will just live in the bottom of the box it came in.
    Strangely, screwing on an atty/carto only takes about 1 1/2 turns, it feels nice and firm but there is not much thread holding the it on - I hope they change this in future.
    The feed needle only protrudes a short way through the connector meaning that it is safe to use atomisers - a long needle (eg: Wetbox) can extend too far into the atty and short-out or break the heating coil.
    Unlike a Wetbox you cant actually see where the needle goes when you insert the bottle. Cleverly though, the underside of the atty connector is trumpet shaped which guides the needle into the hole. Provided you push the bottle in straight and the needle is not bent there should be no issues.
    Because of the shape and how it sits above the case you could be excused for thinking the connector has an integral "catch cup" as seen on some mods - this is not really the case. However, because the needle is a neat fit in the hole most stray juice would be sucked back into atty when vaping. Your mileage may vary though as there appears to be some very messy vapers around..

EDIT: I forgot to mention this earlier but when I got the unit the other day I just took the carto I was using on an eGo and screwed it straight on the Revo2. It wouldn't fire..
    Boge have (whether deliberately or not) made the outer connector landing too shallow and even on a new atty/carto the center contacts barely touch. If you've used the atty/carto on another PV the center contact may be slightly pushed in and will not make a connection.
    The fix is to get a piece of stiff wire or similar, that just fits in the center hole of the contact - I have a miniature screwdriver the perfect size but an 18 gauge needle will work in a pinch. Slip the wire about 5mm or so inside the hole, then keeping a little sideways pressure on the wire, slightly pull up on it - this lifts the contact back to where it should be and will now make contact when screwed on.
    Apparently this is not the only PV that has the issue, it is just more pronounced on the Revo2.

The Revolution V2 comes pre-charged so once you put on an atty or carto and fill the bottle it's good to go.
    Filling is just a matter of popping off the needle assembly and putting in your favourite juice. The assembly is not a very tight fit onto the bottle but is held in place when fitted into the PV and it doesn't appear to leak.
    Screw on a prefilled carto and just pump every now and then to keep it topped up.

The draw is a little tighter than expected, it's similar to using the cone on an eGo. This harder draw appears to be due to the shallow air slots in the top of the connector, a little deeper would be better in my opinion.

Topping up the atty/carto requires tipping the PV forward and squeezing as the bottle it has no pickup tube. Practice makes perfect as to how hard and how often you squeeze. Once the juice level drops below the cutout you have about 3ml left in the bottle.

When new the bottle slides out easily but after repeated use it gets stuck a bit and there is nowhere to grip the bottle to pull it out. A fingernail right at the top of the cutout will catch the tapered part of the bottle and allow you to ease it out. More preferable though, particularly if you have short fingernails, would be to stick a piece of tape on the side of the bottle with a "tail" to grab from the bottom.

Claimed battery capacity is 650 mAH. This is rather small given the juice capacity as most vapers will have to recharge before the day is out. Of course if you predominately use your PV in front of the computer than its not an issue to plug in the charge lead.

Using a Boge LR carto (2.0 ohm) I got about 4 hours normal vaping (thats about 2ml for me) from the fully charged battery. Putting it on charge for 5 mins then allowed me to keep vaping while tethered. I didn't note how long it took to charge the battery back up again though, it would probably be a couple of hours if left unused.
    LR attys don't seem to be a problem for the Revolution V2, I ran a 306LR on it for awhile and the only issue was getting the right amount of juice into the atty - practise makes perfect.

I did some voltage measurements. Fully charged the voltage is was spot on at 4.2, loaded with a 2.2 ohm resister this dropped to 3.5volts. This may seem a lot but is not unexpected given the size of the battery - many 14500 batts return similar results.

One thing I found is if you squeeze the bottle too hard the case may pop open at the bottom, you can click it back into place no problem but a drop of super glue would be a solution. The feed needle is quite small and only gentle squeezes are required as the juice cant get out any quicker.

Being the inquisitive type, and having seen how the case clips together, I just had to pull it apart for a look see..
    There are 2 boards inside, one for the push button switch and charging circuit, and another for the Ioniser and main power switch. The battery is a small Li-Poly. If one was to remove the Ioniser crap and do away with the main switch, with a little dremeling there is no reason a much larger capacity battery couldn't be fitted. An 18650 is not out of the question and it would certainly make more sense given the size of the juice bottle. There would probably be enough room to fit a variable voltage boost circuit if one so desired.

As a juice feeder in the lower cost range, the Revolution V2 is not a bad unit. Although bigger, it is certainly a contender for the Wetbox. With its rounded edges and rubberised finish, it looks and feels great. Mrs Mildew did comment it looks like a walkie-talkie though..

Approximate size: 100mm x 50mm x 25mm

Pros:
    Looks good, nice finish
    Takes cartos and atomisers
    Big bottle
    Switch position
    USB charge
    Battery indicator
    Space for spare atty/carto
    Lightweight
    Very mod-able

Cons:
    Could be smaller
    Cant switch batteries
    Battery capacity
    WTF Ioniser - if we have to have gimmicks then put a torch in there..
    Bottle removal tricky
    Atty connector fussy

Score: 8/10 Bananas
    Last edited by Mildew; 28-05-11 at 11:33 PM.

AVF Regular
    Nice review.

I have recently been getting friends to start vaping with a wetbox, 510lr carto, driptip combo. If they can accept the look of a box mod, they seem happy. I was hoping that this may be a better alternative. I think the deal breaker is the low capacity non replaceable battery though. Why have a 10 ml bottle with a 650mah battery? I thought i read they may release with a 850mah batt which is a bit better?

Would you recommend a wetbox or this? Assuming a wetbox and batts , is close to the same price as the revolution2? I think the wetbox being smaller, with replaceable batts is still in the lead, although it lags in the looks department.

Ps i think the wetboxes from nhaler must have shorter needles as no problems with the needle shorting on the atty bridge.
    Last edited by Mickg33; 28-05-11 at 07:03 PM.

Must. Resist. Ordering.

MUST. RESIST!

BananaMan
    Yeah the low batt capacity is a bit of a bummer, I'm sure with feedback Boge will do something about it though.
    The yanks have been doing kit preorders at $60 -$70. I expect the local retailers will be around the same.
    Last edited by Mildew; 28-05-11 at 07:16 PM.

How to charge this electric cigarette ?

It says at the top, via mini usb port located at the bottom.

AVF Regular
    man the disco lights are off putting...

Boz
    AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rysup View Post
    man the disco lights are off putting...
    Great for when your out clubbing and in between clubs...you can have your own disco in the street LOL
    Bozecig Electronic Cigarettes

Use code "aussievapers" for 5% off your order

GLV2 5v - VW JIB Mini & Mid - Infinity Pro MIW Edition - Lavatube - Alpha Ultramax with RES - Little Gem - Buzz x 2 - Jazz Carto Pipe - Black Beauty - Revo v2 - 510N - eGo-C - VV & LCD eGo-T - NoEgo 14500 - LEO - GGTS - GG Slim - iAtty - Indulgence v1 & v3 - 510XL

AVF Regular
    It's a teeny bopper's wet dream

Boz
    AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by rysup View Post
    it's a teeny bopper's wet dream :d
    lololol
    Bozecig Electronic Cigarettes

Use code "aussievapers" for 5% off your order

GLV2 5v - VW JIB Mini & Mid - Infinity Pro MIW Edition - Lavatube - Alpha Ultramax with RES - Little Gem - Buzz x 2 - Jazz Carto Pipe - Black Beauty - Revo v2 - 510N - eGo-C - VV & LCD eGo-T - NoEgo 14500 - LEO - GGTS - GG Slim - iAtty - Indulgence v1 & v3 - 510XL

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast