Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sik

The EPM Vaportank

Hey boys and Girls,

I am back again in my finest slightly drunken text form to tell you about some tanks i got this week. There is a summary down the bottom if you don't want to read all my waffle.

They are from a lovely bloke in melbourne called Eric, who i had the pleasure of catching up with down the pub and getting a run down from on the devices. The reason Eric decided to build these was mainly due to getting the shits with other overseas bought tanks, so he's basically taken a design and improved on it.

You can get them here; http://forums.aussievapers.com/showt...EPM-Vaportanks

First things first they are based off of a CE2, pretty much like a MAP tank. Various reasons for the plastic tubes in these being better were explained to me. Pretty much all of them went straight over my head. I am not a plastics expert, but Eric seems to be. The build and fit of the tank would lead me to believe he isnt full of shit anyway.

The Package:

2 Tanks (1 x 3ml $20.50 and 1 x 5ml $22.50)
    2 Spare ready modded CE2 replacement / spare cartos
    2 Clear 510 Drip tips
    2 rubbery top caps and 2 rubbery bottom caps (you can use these for transportation)
    1 Plastic drug bag

The CE2's in both of my tanks measured in at 2.9~3.0 ohm and i have been running them off of my trusty Buzz all week. One downside of a higher resistance device is that you need a higher voltage to make them work. Personally i find that any CE2, even the 2.4 ohms really need more than 3.7V to drive them properly, preferably VV.

The Device

The bottom of the tanks is pretty much the bottom of the CE2 in a delrin cap so it doesnt leak. The top of the tank is suprisingly enough the Top of a CE2 in a delrin cap. There is however a small amount of the original CE2 tubing which has been cut to around 5mm in length and acts as a choke which sits over the top of the CE2 coil and wick and is also the 510 drip tip connector.

By choke, i mean it its adjustable. You can tweak this piece of plastics' location within the delrin cap. You can make it cover more of the CE2 wick or less. If you find its wicking too much, simply move the choke a little lower (requires a little bit of force as it is nice and tightly fitted inside the delrin cap) and it wicks slightly less... Wicking too little Suprise Surprise move the choke slightly in the opposite direction to cover less of the wick and Bobs your Mothers Brother. (Note you do need to take the top delrin cap off to make this adjustment)

I did find it took me a few goes to get the right position of the choke, but once it was done once you can go through a full tank of juice without readjusting it again. Possibly even more if you refill with a juice of the same viscosity.

The build:

As mentioned above im not a plastics expert. However i've done my best to bash these things around knock em against stuff, drop em and generally behave like a 10 year old boy in a china shop and not had any caps come loose, or cracks and have not dumped any juice. The end caps are very well fitted and require deliberate dislodging to get em off, but they are not overly difficult to remove if you are trying too.

The Vape:

Well it vapes like a CE2. The coil is just about in your mouth so the vapour is lovely and warm. The draw is pretty free, the flavour is fantastic and the throat hit is good.

Issues:

Nothing major really...

Obviously most of us understand the quality control and consistency issues around CE2's. Quite frankly it can be bollocks. Although, this device does negate completely (albeit may require some choke tinkering) the most common which is the wicking issues. It does wick a little less as the tank gets lower however a quick tilt will fix it up quick smart.

I did have an issue with the draw becoming quite tight and wicking becoming non existant after i bashed it once... Took me a little while to work it out but reseating the centre post of the CE2 (pulling it slightly up and down) eventually fixed it.

Wont really kick to their full potential off of a 3.7 volt device, and the wonderful CE2 experience of buying a pack of 2.4ohms and a clearo measuring 3.2ohms pretty much puts CE2's in general in a dont even fucking think about it unless you have a Variable Voltage device basket.

Summary

I'm not a guy who can be arsed playing with things that dont work. I've been vaping these off my buzz all week (much to the missus "You are taking *that* out in public give me bail money in advance" disgust) and neglecting my much loved reo mini / jazz carto pipe with liquinator.

Great tank, no leaks, vapes well. The tube will take a beating. At ~$20 a pop + whatever shipping is you could still get 2 for what you would pay from a MAP or Minus tank, and you would be supporting a local modder.

CE2 concistency is what it is... May turn some people off

Really needs variable voltage to get the best out of them. They will run off an ego, just.

Versus a MAP or a Minus i think they are of better quality and also cheaper. So if you are in the market i would definately reccomend EPM instead, its a no brainer.. I do think that the versatility and consistency of the tanks based off Smoktech and Boge carto's is probably better. They will run at lower voltage and are more consistent in their manufacture. BUT and its a big but, when a CE2 works it is very very hard to beat flavour and vape wise.

Happy Vaping

edit: also Vapor is missing a fucking "U" VapoUr /me slaps Eric.

Edit 2: Footnote: Apparently people did read this and had some queso's. Eric dropped me a message to ask if i could offer / clarify my opinion on 2 things, which I am happy to do:

1) Will this tank work on a 5V passthrough:

Most definately. It will run well on anything Higher Voltage (My definition of HV is anything above about 4.3 volts). Obviously without harping on too much about Variable Voltage with a 5,6 or 7.4 volt device you can't fine tune the output so you may just need to experiment with different resistance clearos to get your sweet spot. If you plan on using it above 5v i would go for the higher resistance clearo's.

2) Whats it like to fill ?

Its pretty straight forward. I topped up at the lights tonight waiting for them to change. Pop the top cap off (careful not to take the ce2 with it) and squirt juice into the tank then pop the top back on.

The caps themselves are fairly tight when you get them. They are not hugely difficult to remove just have a little patience while you get used to it. The caps do break in a bit with use so it only gets easier. When replacing the cap you need to make sure that the choke is directly over the top of the CE2 coil and that the crimps in the choke are at 90 degress to the wicks. This may require a gentle adjustment of the CE2 centrepost to make sure it is centred in the tank.
    Last edited by Sik; 25-07-11 at 08:57 PM.
    Current Vape: Variable Wattage mod, EPM Boge tanks, Something Fruity

Sik
    The Kit

Tank with rubber stoppers

The Choke

5ml on a buzz

Sik
    Upside Down for good measure

AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    edit: also Vapor is missing a fucking "U" VapoUr /me slaps Eric.
    Next you are going to tell me you don't measure in ounce, pounds, miles, inches, yards, feet and gallons... whats this world coming to.

AVF Regular
    whats in the drug bag?
    RIP VP

Quote Originally Posted by floorzone2 View Post
    whats in the drug bag?
    I think it's the condom

Sik
    lol yea its one of the rubber condom end caps.

Sik
    edited on request to clarify / expand on a couple of points, see footnote.

gaz
    the endcaps / condoms look a bit like fibre (optical fibre patchleads) endcaps, and if fibre endcaps fit ive got a box full of em.....

Yak
    Yo sik,
    Hey what juice do you have in there?

Yak.
    Yak,Bright,Early <--Pick any TWO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast