Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sik

Cool JIB VPPV Prototype Mini - Johnny in Bris Variable Power Peronsal Vapouriser

jesus what a mouthful.

Well, length of the name aside I have had my JIB VPPV for just over a week now and I think i'm in love.

edit: More information about these devices can be found in the manufacturers forums:

here: http://forums.aussievapers.com/showt...-Power-Woodies
    and here: http://forums.aussievapers.com/showt...-Mini-VP-Woody

The Device I have cost $130 + $5 Express shipping and arrived overnight. It comes with the box mod and a charger, nicely packaged so nothing broke.

In terms of pricing it slots in around the cost of a Buzz Pro and a fair bit cheaper than either a Provari ~$200+ or a Darwin ~$200+. However it is a prototype, so its not as polished as any of these presentation wise.

Look and Feel:

First things first, it is a prototype box mod made out of some cheapish wood. It is solid, light and everything feels well built. But it isnt polished, shiney or a final production model. It kinda looks like a sanding block (thx Arkay) with a button, an LED and an atty connector. That said I quite like the size and feel.

I Purchased the "Mini" which is about the size of a tank mod and runs 2 x 800mah LiPO cells.

Battery Life:

Seriously impressed. The life on this thing for me is about 2 days give or take a few hours between charges. For something the size of a reo mini in which i would change batteries twice a day its mind blowing.

To charge you connect the supplied charger to the atomiser connector, turn it on, wait a bit over an hour and its done ! V Quick charge time. It glows a green led and stops charging when full. (i assume there is some sort of overcharge protection built into the PCB)

One thing to mention is that the unit is fully enclosed and sealed. The batteries are AFAIK non user replaceable. They are theoretically fairly long life and I will let you know in a few months if they have carked it.

I don't know if johnny will be offering a replacement service if / when they die, with or without cost. But assuming they last a while i would be happy to send the device back and pay for new batts as long as the cost was reasonable and turnaround relatively quick. I'd not like to have to buy a new mod every 2-6 months.

Variable Power or Wattage:

For most of you variable power / wattage is probably not something you hear of every day. People think Variable Volts. There are a couple of other VP devices out there, the most notable is probably the darwin which i have mentioned before looks STUPID.

Basically the theoretical benefit of Variable Power or watts is that you tune your device to the heat you want and it works out the appropriate volts automagically and then fires your atty / carto at said mentioned appropriate volts to give you the vape you want. What this means is you can go from having a high resistance CE2 tank to a 306LR and not have to change the setting and it blow your 306LR up

In practise what it means is really that you just have to do less adjusting and you also dont have to worry about frying atties. I find that when i change my heating device i still play with the watts a bit ti get the right vape, but it requires much less adjustment than a Variable voltage (VV).

Variable power is arguably better than Variable volts, takes the guess work / maths out of the equation, you dont need to pick your resistance and volts just put on an Atty, pick your heat and go.

Useability:

I didnt read the manual to start with, who does ? Which led me to about 20 minutes of screwing around with it before figuring out it was in OFF mode. derpa derp. Once i had RTFM'ed its all pretty straight forward. 1 click to enter setup and 3 to lock or unlock. Yay no accidental pocket firings.

1 Click enters setup mode, one further click starts it adjusting upwards (which it does by itself) until you press the button again or its maxed out. 2 Clicks starts it adjusting downwards etc etc. It took me a little bit to work out that it was auto adjusting and stop mashing the button to try and increment it (which would effectively cancel the adjustment). This could probably be a little better articulated in the instruction manual IMO.

I find the LED indicator to be pretty good when determining watts. I am unsure EXACTLY what I am running at, but i dont really care, i tend to adjust depending on my mood. Starting the and ending the day usually involves somewhere around Orangey with a slight green tinge (~9-10 Watts)... middle of the day either solid red or orangey red (high ~11-12 watts)

The Default setting on the LED is bright enough to sit next to a turntable and have a disco party fun time and i am pretty sure i've seen laser lights with less directional beam so i turned it to minimum almost as soon as i figured out how.

I had thought an Alphanumeric Display would be cool. To display watts and maybe steal provapes ohm checker functionality / error coding stuff. Having now used one i would say it doesnt need one.

The Vape:

Fantastic. It fires just about anything consistently and well. I have to turn Low resistance stuff down a bit, i have used it to vape; EPM CE2 tanks, Joye HV 510, Joye LR306, Smoktech 1.5ohms with liquinator, Boge 2.0 Cartos. Can switch between and not blow anything up only requiring minimal adjustment.

One gripe, which has been mentioned before, is there is absolutely no room for error when dripping. I am not a precision instrument so this drives me a little nuts. A slight over drip with a 306 or 510 and juice is all over the place. A catchcup would rock my cazbar. That said i dont use it a hell of a lot to drip. Mainly been using it with Tanks.

Summary:

Pros
    -Vapes really well, advertises adjustable volts over a wide range and delivers them.
    -Fires a very wide range of atty's / cartos
    -Easy to use
    -No more accidentally blowing stuff up (although it is fun sometimes)
    -Mini is incredibly small
    -Mini has great battery life for something its size and charging is very quick
    -Lightweight

Cons
    -Non replaceable batts which poses 2 concerns:
    1) you cant exactly carry a spare, if you run it flat you have to have the charger with you. (this is however offset by the long run time)
    2) There is currently no published way to replace your batts if they die.
    -No catch cup, will drive drippers mental
    -Its still a prototype, so its not hugely polished presentation wise. Its not fugly but hopefully the final model will be a bit nicer to look at.
    - The manual could be a bit clearer in some places, but thats easily fixed.

Cost wise My inner jew tells me that given we are effectively beta testing it $130 bucks might be a little exxy for the pleasure. That said I do not so far begrudge a cent of that, it is currently my go-to PV and for $130 I think functionality wise its a bargain for the price.
    Last edited by Sik; 31-08-11 at 09:12 PM.
    Current Vape: Variable Wattage mod, EPM Boge tanks, Something Fruity

Sik

Last edited by Sik; 31-08-11 at 04:20 PM.

AVF Regular
    His manual's a lot more professional than others I've seen recently lol :P

Only thing I can think of worth mentioning is the low end of the power band on these things isn't likely to be used very often, if at all... Is there anything that runs optimally at 4w lol? Or maybe this should be used for dry burning? Could probably raise the low end of the wattage scope to 6w or so imho.

And the button worries me a tiny bit, the little bit of wobble in mine leads me to think it might break in my pocket, not that I've actually had any issues so far

This thing is my only vv/vp device and has been my go to since I got it

AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder
    Thanks for the comprehensive review Sik. I have to agree the wood is very cheapish....It's from a U-shaped section I think was used as packaging stiffener but when I found some lengths of it the back shed I thought it would be perfect for trying this mini concept (which you provoked me into in the first instance). Any future mods will be in a much nicer hardwood.

Not being a dripper, I've neglected the catch cup to date. If anyone knows of or can make a suitable cup washer preferably in stainless steel with a 8.8~9.0 dia hole please let me know and I will make this an option on all future woodies.

I went down the path of non user replacable batteries for 2 main reasons. Firstly to make the device as small as possible (springs and battery lids take up a lot of space) and secondly to allow the mod to be almost completely sealed. In this respect it's no different to a ego or similar battery and how many of us have carried around a spare one of these? In the minis, 'nanotech' LiPo cells are used and these are claimed to have twice the number of charge cycles compared to standard LiPo. Assuming 500 cycles this could mean up to 2 years before battery replacement is needed, however time will tell. If needed, batteries would be replaced at cost plus a small service fee.

The manual will be updated in due course to clarify some of the points you raised.....and I'm glad you're liking it!

Sik
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyInBris View Post
    Thanks for the comprehensive review Sik. I have to agree the wood is very cheapish....It's from a U-shaped section I think was used as packaging stiffener but when I found some lengths of it the back shed I thought it would be perfect for trying this mini concept (which you provoked me into in the first instance). Any future mods will be in a much nicer hardwood.
    Just for everyones benefit, this wasnt really a complaint, and I thank you for indulging me with a mini. I didnt mean it in a bad way and i think i put the emphasis on the fact it is still a prototype, so i wasnt expecting Rainforest grade uber wood

I went down the path of non user replacable batteries for 2 main reasons. Firstly to make the device as small as possible (springs and battery lids take up a lot of space) and secondly to allow the mod to be almost completely sealed. In this respect it's no different to a ego or similar battery and how many of us have carried around a spare one of these? .
    Yup fair points, although carrying two spare $100+ mods is slightly different to carrying two $12 batts. For me its not a big thing and again i knew what i was buying into.

In the minis, 'nanotech' LiPo cells are used and these are claimed to have twice the number of charge cycles compared to standard LiPo. Assuming 500 cycles this could mean up to 2 years before battery replacement is needed, however time will tell..
    2 Years ! shit i might be waiting a while to post a follow up on carking batts (well lets hope so)

If needed, batteries would be replaced at cost plus a small service fee.
    Awesome man, that gives me a little bit of extra peace of mind.

The manual will be updated in due course to clarify some of the points you raised.....and I'm glad you're liking it!
    Again, not a major complaint. Just thought i would note it.

Overall i tried to write this as if people hadnt read your threads about the devices and were looking at it from a 0 knowledge perspective. I did try to convey the prototypey aspects and make sure people were aware of them, however i didnt mean it as an overall massive negative and i hope people who read this don't take it as such.

My personal opinion on the product overall is that its great. I try when writing these things to make sure i include most of the info so people can make an informed decision rather than simply stating it shits rainbows and you MUST have one. I guess alot of us aren't battery experts and the "cons" on the batteries may turn out to be moot points. I can live without the catch cup and if you went to production tomorrow with the final product i would buy one in a heartbeat.

I personally also love to see innovation like this being home grown.

PS Rysup, my button is pretty solid mate.

edit: updated OP to include links to threads in general.
    Last edited by Sik; 31-08-11 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rysup View Post
    Could probably raise the low end of the wattage scope to 6w or so imho
    I've been thinking the same as 4W is pretty lame even for dry burning. Having a 6 to 12W range would put 9W as the default (green) which is around where I usually vape. I'm assuming everyone is happy with the 12W upper limit.

Sik
    Yar blue range doesnt really fire anything much lol

AVF Regular
    I'm liking the way this little gadget is coming along. The thinking behind it seems to make more sense than a lot of mods I've seen. I like the size and the sealed design doesn't worry me at all. I agree it needs a juice cup because the tanks around the place are capable of leaking at the base if they have a bad flooding episode as well.

If I ever decide to go back to a variable, I reckon this one might be first considered.
    CO, Vapers Against Government Interference in Nictotine Acquisition - Military Wing.

gaz
    I liked mine so much I have now signed up for the mid sized one. Ive gone from Ego-T Batteries straight to this and looking around the web cannot see any battery mod out there that compares favorably in size, features, or battery life. Johnny's elctronics integrated into a juice feeder would be nice, but when I find a juice I like that much Ill just go tank mod on top or mega carto.

On the issue of catch cup, I think most end up looking pretty ugly. I like the look of the DCA 306, and the Empire drip shield. Basically a third party whole atomizer drip sheild that attaches to the atomizer rather than being integrated into the battery, and if I ever start dripping that would be what I would buy. If someone has access to a small metal lathe I would see it as a viable homegrown mod that could fill a gap in the market, and make someone a couple of dollars.

At the end of the day I love mine so much I couldnt bear the thought of it breaking and having to go back to Ego-T batteries. As a bonus, I can now go away for about 5 days and not need to charge anything, and when they need charging, I wont have to use an Ego battery. I still carry my an ego battery to work in the case with the spare cartos and juices, but hope not to have to use it.

GaZ

Ive had mine for a while now, even though its one of his protos and has been drop a gazillion times and is held together buy electrical tape (Johnny has offered me a repair) I think its fkn ace, an all automatic variable wattage device for just over a hundred bucks, for me thats worth every penny, just cant wait till he has the production ones for sale. I'll be first in line.
    well done Johnny.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast