Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Buzz Pro

Sik

The Buzz Pro

Hey peoples,

Last week i received my Buzz Pro number 110 (finally) \o/ so i thought i would do my usual thing and write up a spiel.

You can purchase the devices here: www.notcigs.com

Its a Variable voltage tube mod that takes 2 X 16340 CR123A batteries stacked. Made in the US out of some fairly rock solid metal and mine is coated with a black finish. It uses an adjustable wheel dial to change volts up or down. Power range is 3.2 <> 5.5 volts.

As usual there is a TL;DR at the bottom if you cbf reading my waffling.

The Company:

Notcigs have been around for a while and were (arguably) the first company to mass produce Variable Voltage mods and make them commercially available. They have a good rep for Customer Service and after sales support, my own experience of flicking them emails to check in on where my device was in transit saw prompt responses at all hours of the day US time. Never took more than a a few hours to hear back from Mike.

Price:

I already had batteries and charger for the original buzz and i shamelessly flogged the ECF Buzzkill promo code to get 5% off. So for the unit and shipping cost me a grand total of $134.52 (US) Delivered.

This puts it at kinda the middle of the range for VV's ranging from cheap do the job plasticy ones like the Madvapes $35 VV box to the ~$200 Provaris and Grips etc.

Shipping:

$5.95 is the only option. I ordered at 2am AU time and received a shipping notification at 9am same day. From there it was donkey back from the US with no tracking (you get a tracking number but it doesnt register events). Mine took 3 weeks 1 Day. Some people receive theirs in under 2 weeks.

When it arrived it was all nicely packaged in a USPS box there was an oring but no screw in the top to make contact with the atomiser / carto (being a buzz original owner this was a little odd). In the bubble wrap bag i found a washer and a screw, which i seated on top of the oring and all was well in the world.

I thought that the missing screw was a bit poxy, so i emailed notcigs and asked if there was a practical reason for it. They responded and let me know that sometimes they just get loose in shipping and they are now lock tighting the screws in. Not a big deal but its nice to see they act on issues.

Its all a bit of a luck of the draw thing with USPS donkey mail. Not really the vendors fault, but other shipping options (express international with tracking) might be nice for the Postie stalkers and paranoid people.

Look and Feel:

Its fairly light, feels really solid and the finish is kind of a semi glossy coating. I'm not an expert on coatings but it looks nice and doesnt slip about in the hand. It looks to be very similar in construction to the buzz original which i have used as a hammer, so I am expecting good durability.

The atomiser connector is raised above the catch cup, so no need for adapters for tanks etc. Flip side is catch cup juice isnt sucked back up into the atty, but stop being messy bastards and you'll deal with it.

Its pretty much the same size as the original buzz and as such not a small mod, comparable in size to a provari, 510N, Silver bullet or similar tube mod.

Performance / Useability:

Well its a VV and i have mostly been using it with a CE2 EPM Tank. The vape is as expected adjustable to my mood, hot, warm and full of flavour.

The adjustable dial on the side is so much better than the screwdriver method in the buzz original. It's probably the fastest and easiest method of changing volts around. Too hot turn it down, too cold turn it up. Not difficult really.

There are 3 coloured notches on the wheel so, Green Yellow and Red so you have an idea of whether you are vaping at low medium or high. From the "High" indicator there is still about 50% of the range left in the Variable to turn it up and i find myself mostly on Red or higher

I own 3 variable mods and have tried a few others I never measure volts and dont really care what its at as long as the vape is good. So I dont miss a digital readout telling me what i'm vaping at. For some this might be a negative. For me i couldnt give a ****

Battery Life:

The Buzz pro touts a new circuit design with increased efficiency as well as wheel adjustable (rather than screwdriver) as one of its key selling points over the Buzz original. Well it definately delivers. Using Ultrafire 1000mah 16340 CR123A's.

Buzz original - 1 day ~3ml's worth of vaping
    Buzz Pro - 2 days ~6ml's worth of vaping

Pretty damned good IMO.

Summary:

Pro's
    - Good battery life, 2 days for me is awesome sauce
    - Middle of the road pricing, pretty decent value for money IMO
    - Fast, Easily adjustable Variable Voltage
    - Sturdy PV
    - Good after Sales service

Cons - I dunno really it is what it's sold as
    - No display might be offputting for some people
    - Some might not like the semi industrial look and / or size. But if you want a mini VV go buy a little sister or a JIB mini box mod.
    - Shipping is a bit slow if you are in a rush, but what do you expect from the US
    Last edited by Sik; 14-09-11 at 06:45 PM.
    Current Vape: Variable Wattage mod, EPM Boge tanks, Something Fruity

Sik
    PICS ! !!!!

same as the shineys thread if you have seen them before.

Juice bottle is 10ml for size reference, EPM 5ml tank on device

Last edited by Sik; 14-09-11 at 06:46 PM.

Sik,

Nice writeup and spot on. I can only add that I've had a couple of times where I've screwed a carto into the 510 connector too tight (though it didn't feel tight at the time) and when undoing it its undone the top cap of the buzz, rather than the carto itself. This resulted in problems with the center wire under the 510 connector and issues with the top screw that came loose in transit for you.

Easily fixed if a little fiddly. Might be a good idea for new purchasers to check the top screw and also tighten the top cap really well (maybe using a tool instead of hand tight) after they receive their device.

I'd say 6 ml of juice is about right for the batts. I get less than a day from mine but it seems I'm a heavy vaper still.

Had to change batts on the way home tonight so I got from 8:30ish till about 5pm. Though its really not hard to throw in another set. I carry 3 sets fully charged with me. Just in case.

It's no real downside though and the device has been rock solid for me.

I don't know if it's possible either, but my batts are 880mah. Perhaps they are different to yours?

Cheers,

Arkay.
    Last edited by Arkay; 16-09-11 at 02:02 PM.

Super Moderator
    Nice review might get one of these in the next couple of weeks =)

AVF Regular
    another well worded piece from the sikster.thanks man.
    RIP VP

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Mine's a very pretty brick after a month. Either I was exceptionally hard on it or I got a lemon. It wouldn't fire correctly consistently after a while and eventually just stopped firing completely - the LED stayed red when the button was pushed. I went through 2-3 sets of batteries a day. Losing the centre pin screw meant I had to find another that fit which made threading an issue with atties but that is my fault.

Don't mean to sully such a well-written review. Just adding my experience. Like I said, maybe I was hard on it. I was dropping it from time to time but not on a regular basis.

Oh well. I'm just going to mod the tube and stick breaktru's booster mod circuit in. Not a complete loss. Plus I have a JiB in transit so I'd say I wont miss it.

Hope yours continues to satisfy for a long time to come Sik!
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

Sik
    Hmmm the top cap in this unit is solid i cant dislodge (haven't tried with tools)

I know what u mean tho. my original buzz was like that

Sik
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothingexpert View Post
    Mine's a very pretty brick after a month. Either I was exceptionally hard on it or I got a lemon. It wouldn't fire correctly consistently after a while and eventually just stopped firing completely - the LED stayed red when the button was pushed. I went through 2-3 sets of batteries a day. Losing the centre pin screw meant I had to find another that fit which made threading an issue with atties but that is my fault.

Don't mean to sully such a well-written review. Just adding my experience. Like I said, maybe I was hard on it. I was dropping it from time to time but not on a regular basis.

Oh well. I'm just going to mod the tube and stick breaktru's booster mod circuit in. Not a complete loss. Plus I have a JiB in transit so I'd say I wont miss it.

Hope yours continues to satisfy for a long time to come Sik!
    Sounds like you got a dud unless u were vaping 20 ml a day 3 sets of bats is excessive to the point of ridiculous. The led should change colour and it should be consistent vape I would contact notcigs and get it replaced.

Edit: like i said in the OP I used my original as a hammer. dropping it from time (from less than 20 feet) shouldn't hurt it.

Glad you posted your experience. helps people make informed decisions.

Did u contact notcigs about any of your issues / get any feedback ?
    Last edited by Sik; 14-09-11 at 09:33 PM.

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    It might've been the screw that I used for the centre pin that was contributing to the battery life and atties bricking. I didn't know what it looked like so I just improvised.
    Like I said in a previous post, the circular PCB that forms the top of the battery compartment dislodged after a drop off the dryer onto tile - about 1m tops.
    Last edited by Nothingexpert; 15-09-11 at 08:58 AM.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingexpert View Post
    It might've been the screw that I used for the centre pin that was contributing to the battery life and atties bricking. I didn't know what it looked like so I just improvised.
    Like I said in a previous post, the circular PCB that forms the top of the battery compartment dislodged after a drop off the dryer onto tile - about 1m tops.
    You should have contacted us , normally this is something we can trouble shoot !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast