Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JIB Bottom Feeder Review

INTRODUCTION

I have owned a number of mods since I started vaping including a 5v saber touch, VV Ali'i and a VV Buzz. Every one of these devices failed once or more due to one reason: Juice getting into the electronics.

This is the reason I bought a REO grand. The REO grand is 100% mechanical, no electronics to go wrong, it simply takes one 3.7v 18650 battery and has no variable voltage. Using an LR 306 on the reo is not bad by any means, BUT, the battery voltage decreases slowly as you use it. You get a decent hit when it's fresh off the charger and a not so decent hit after a few hours of use. Also, using a standard resistance atomizer at higher volts is a better vape. Due to these reasons, I wanted to go back to VV.

THE JIB

JohnInBrisbane (JIB) is a local modder who makes Variable Power mods (including bottom feeders). Recently, using Stoney's idea, John decided to start using ego-adapters on his bottom feeder mods so that an ego cone can be used as a reservior around the atty connection. This helps prevent juice from leaking and does a better job at it than a simple well around the atomizer connection. My Ali'i bottom feeder had a simple well and thats where the juice would leak from, so this feature on the JIB intrigued me.

In a lengthy chat with John, I asked him if he could guarrantee that juice won't find its way into the electronics in his mod. He told me that he uses glue lined heatshrink over the PCB in his feeder mods. He also told me that if the mod does fail due to leaked juice, he would repair the mod free of charge. So, I decided to take the plunge and re-enter the world of Variable Voltage (or, more specifically, variable power).

A JIB feeder costs around $130 but I got mine for $100 because I supplied the 2 batteries and spray paint. The mod takes 2 3.7v batteries, and John will make the mod using batteries of your choice. The overall size of the mod depends what battery size you choose. I chose 2 18500's because I wanted the biggest I could get, whilst being small enough to fit in my pocket. It turned out to be a good size, measuring about 130mm without an atty/carto attached, and it holds about 7ml of juice. A purpose built charger is also supplied with the mod. The batteries inside the mod cannot be swapped out, but having said that, it only takes about 1 hour to charge. The charger plugs into a wall power socket and the other end screws into your atty connection.

When I first got my JIB, the red button on it worked fine but after a few days the JIB started to not respond when I pressed the button. I took the mod back to John and he immediately fixed the issue by installing a smaller black button. I have not had any problems with it since then.

FUNCTIONALITY

The JIB feeder has one button on it and an LED. This button lets you vape if you hold it down, or enter the 'setup' mode if you press it once. If you enter setup mode by pressing the button once, the LED flashes for 3 seconds and the colour indicates how much charge your batteries have left. In this 3 second window, you can press the button some more to play around with the settings, summarised below:

1 press to activate setup (3 second time out, colour indicates battery charge) then:

1 press: power increase (press again to set)
    2 presses: power decrease (press again to set)
    3 presses: lock device
    4 presses: toggle LED brightness
    5 presses: Wattage readout then voltage readout then resistance (ohms) readout (slow flash for digits, quick flashes for tenths)

John has written up an instruction manual for his VP mods:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...yOTdk&hl=en_US

John assured me that an atomizer of any resistance will work. However, using an LR will drain the battery a bit faster. John recommends standard or high resistance atomizers or cartomizers. My atomizer of choice is a 306 but it should be noted that you will need an XXL drip tip if you want to use a 306 with the ego cone. These can be purchased from ecigwarehouse.

The feed system on this mod is unusual but it works. Internally, juice is stored in a modified syringe and juice can be fed by pushing the lever which protrudes from the side of the mod.

Refilling the mod is fairly easy. Simply take off the atty/carto, hold your juice bottle tip on the needle (upside down) then squeeze your bottle while pulling the feed lever down with your other hand. I have not had any leaks at all when refilling.

CONCLUSION

So far I am happy with the JIB. It does everything it is supposed to do and apart from the faulty button that John fixed, it has no problems. The only minor niggle I have is that there are no clear ego cones available on the market. I would like a clear cone or some kind of reservoir that screws into the ego adapter so that I can see how much juice it contains. So far I have only had the JIB for a week but it will probably be my 'go to' mod for a long time and we will see if it continues to perform well without any problems.

I have not received my ego cone and XXL 306 drip tip in the mail yet but when I do I will post my findings in this thread. So far I have only used a boge carto and it has performed well.

The attached photo shows my JIB with a boge carto attached, next to a standard Bic lighter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bagurk; 02-12-11 at 02:35 AM.
    Currently own: Ego, Ego Twist, Kicked Reo Grand, ProVari x 2

Previously owned: 510, Saber Touch, JIB Feeder, VV Ali'i, Buzz, Vamo

Got my cone in the mail today so i wacked it on with a LR 306. The vape is good but there's one problem - I get spurts of juice in my mouth. Does anyone know what can be done to fix this? Not really a problem with the JIB itself but any device using a 306 atomizer.

Ok so I have also noticed that when feeding with a cone on, a small amount of juice eventually escapes out the bottom of the cone...

AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder
    The thread wont stop liquid going through unless it's over-tightened (not a good idea). Go to bunnings and buy some No. 8 o-rings and slip that over the ego connector before you screw the cone on.

Quote Originally Posted by bagurk View Post
    Ok so I have also noticed that when feeding with a cone on, a small amount of juice eventually escapes out the bottom of the cone...
    Variable Power Mods for sale: None, only making to order at the moment with 2~3 week lead time. See Manufactures / Custom Mods / Additions for details.

Ok, will do. Thanks John

thread tape works too,but you have to change it every time the cone comes off.

Ok so I will only be using cartos with my JIB for at least a while. Theres 2 things about using the atty that I dont like...
    1. I get juice in my mouth... This could be different with atomizers other than a LR 306. I tried using a 510 and got no juice in my mouth, but the vape is far inferior to the 306.
    2. Juice leaks through the threads of the cone. Using an O-ring (like John suggested) stops it from leaking onto the mod but I am still not happy with juice being caught in the thread, which appears to be what is happening.

The mod works great with a cartomizer though.

hh 357 3.0 or iken 3.0 ohm no spits,but the cisco 306 1.5 was ok at the lowest wattage.

I will eventually try some other atomizers. Probably a standard resistance 306 first.

Ok so today i realised something I should have figured out ages ago.

For the problem with LR 306's spurting juice into your mouth simply do the following.

Use the plastic cover that the 306 ships with as the mouth piece. It has a small hole at the top rather than a big gaping hole like your average drip tip. This doesn't let any juice get into your mouth.

This solution is not ideal for someone dripping into a 306, but for bottom feeders its a god-send.
    Last edited by bagurk; 11-01-12 at 06:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast