Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By merexy
  • 1 Post By merexy
  • 1 Post By coopz

Thread: Merexy's budget RBA comparo for newbs.

AVF Regular

Merexy's budget RBA comparo for newbs.

13 weeks into this vaping caper, I know I am a newb myself but I've learned a lot in a very short time. Apologies if this has been done before but I figured it wouldn't hurt again. I compare the following RBA's with some experience as I own and have used them all. These are my observations and opinions, no one else's. So here they are.

Russian 91% (genuine)
    Kayfun 3.1 (Hi-cigar clone) have 2.
    Taifun GT (Fasttech clone)
    Fogger 4.1 (genuine)
    Rocket V.1 (Fasttech)
    Aga-T5 (genuine)

Appearance is a subjective thing with anything, each to his own. I think the Aga is the looker with the Russian not too far behind. The Rocket is probably the ugly duckling, I got a blue one, definitely not everyone's cup of tea but I like anodised stuff. The Rocket is probably the "tart" of the bunch.

It's a similar aspect with the build qualities. The Aga again is probably my pick and remember it's less than a third of the cost of the Russian! And the Russian can have its problems with the loosening centre post syndrome which I'm sorry to say should not occur with something that costs as much.

The real stand out is the Kayfun 3.1. The build quality of this is quite phenomenal for a clone. Spot on in fact and actually puts the Russian to shame. The Rocket again is the tart and a bit trashy but let's not forget that she cost all of about 13 bucks!

Ease of build: Well they're all pretty easy on the scale of things except for the Fogger (haven't said much about this one, eh?) which to me is a pain. I'm not a fan of low ohm builds. Don't like the heat or the safety aspects. (I have electronics qualifications. Not rocket science but enough). So to get enough resistance for dual coils requires either too big a coil which takes too long to heat or working with 32gauge which is not my idea of fun!!! So me and the Fogger have not really hit it off.

Wicking: Hands down the winners are the Aga and the Taifun. Very hard to get a dry hit off either of these due to the way they wick, different to the others. Properly done the others are more than fine. Funnily enough, I have not had a dry hit off the Rocket.

The Russian and the Kayfun are great with nano tanks. Makes them much smaller on your mod or if you don't want such a large tank of juice. There is a nano for the Taifun (I have one on order) but the quality looks a bit suss.

Filling: The Aga can be filled top and bottom, you can even do a rebuild without emptying the tank! The Russian is pretty fussy here. You can do it from the top but there always seems to be leakage. Best results for me are using the "correct" method. The Kayfun, Taifun and Rocket aren't really too fussed. Top fills are easy. The Fogger is just a pain.

All of them are capable of producing excellent clouds and flavour if built and wicked right. Not too sure about the Fogger. We just haven't bonded and I dislike the warm/hot vape.

They will all leak if left for periods of no use or laid down for prolonged periods. The Aga is probably the best here though the Rocket can hold her juice too!

I think the Aga is my favourite. She is beautiful, sophisticated and performs really well.

The Russian, Kayfun and Taifun are all pretty and solid performers. You can't really go wrong.

The Rocket? Well, she's the trailer trash. But she does go off like a rocket (sorry) and she can certainly show you a good time! Cost to performance is amazing! Yeah, she looks cheap but what the hell!

The Fogger reminds me of someone I spent too much time with long ago. Too bloody high maintenance and a pain to live with.

Russian 91%. $120
    Kayfun 3.1. $40
    Taifun GT. $25
    Fogger 4.1. $45
    Rocket V.1. $13
    Aga-T5. $35

Prices are approximate but close. I was too lazy to look up exact amounts.

Just ordered another Aga. They are bloody hard to get a hold of for some reason at the moment!

Hope this was of some use.
    JWH, The Sodd and Hidden1 like this.

AVF Regular
    Nice compare I agree with the fogger but when it is setup right it is great I love the loose airflow of it compared to the kayfun but just to much mucking around

AVF Regular
    Nice write up, I only have the 3.1 and the AGA out of that list but both are great value. Next on my list to try is a Rose clone.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden1 View Post
    Nice compare I agree with the fogger but when it is setup right it is great I love the loose airflow of it compared to the kayfun but just to much mucking around
    Haven't totally given up on it, I know what you mean about the airflow. That's where the Aga is such a star. I should have mentioned that. You can get a power of air through it. Totally adjustable by hand.
    Hidden1 likes this.

Get a room
    Suprised you got a rocket v1 when they were already old and found wanting last year. The rocket v2 on the other hand, nice atty. I think I did a few words on it in the budget hardware discussion thread (aside for the basic post put into the budget hardware official thread).
    To be honest, I've been more happy with the rocket v2 and the uds/agas than most clones, they are built very well, no chance of rusting components.
    I do have a KF clone or two, but such noisy things, and so many chances of a bad one. I kept it just for a small form factor tank in nano form, but it's not a stellar performer. But when looking at clones, well there's 4 different prices at least, so many vendors sell so many versions, many different manufacturers, research research research, where's the best ones...oh ehpro...hcigar?.. fasttech (LOL). Who else sells them? etc etc, what if it get a bad one, will they refund? Blah blah...

It's bloody easier to just get an aga or rocket v2 or fogger or whatever, where they're all the same and good vendors sell the only version you can get, rather than stuff about with a dozen different versions of clones from a dozen different places!

Pretty much all I have used the last two weeks is the rocket v2 (silica build), aga t7 (cotton build) and gennies. (E: I only use drippers when I buy flavours, which doesn't happen as much as I'd like)
    Last edited by coopz; 10-09-14 at 06:00 AM.
    Nakor likes this.

AVF Regular
    Merexy thanks for the comparison. Where did you get the nano kit for the HCigar 3.1? I have that one & the Fasttech Kayfun Light plus which came with a nano kit can I use that on the 3.1?

AVF Regular
    The gripe I have with the Russian is ohms are always off what actually are otherwise well built materials which I prefer over the metal on the rocket clone o tried which o found heavy. The aga t-5-5 it-i got last week and quite ompressed for its price but weight is a downfall again I dont like carrying a brick in my pocket

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbam View Post
    Merexy thanks for the comparison. Where did you get the nano kit for the HCigar 3.1? I have that one & the Fasttech Kayfun Light plus which came with a nano kit can I use that on the 3.1?
    Yes Rod. Nano kit fits the Kayfun Lite, 3.1, and the Russian.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by petepunter View Post
    The gripe I have with the Russian is ohms are always off what actually are otherwise well built materials which I prefer over the metal on the rocket clone o tried which o found heavy. The aga t-5-5 it-i got last week and quite ompressed for its price but weight is a downfall again I dont like carrying a brick in my pocket
    Check the centre post. That'll be the cause. Remove the screw in the bottom that contacts the centre of the 510 and tighten up the screw inside.
    Last edited by merexy; 10-09-14 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Repeated myself...