Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By LimeB
  • 4 Post By btobw
  • 1 Post By btobw
  • 1 Post By LimeB

Thread: eLeaf iStick initial Review - 1 days moderate use of 2 units.

AVF Regular

eLeaf iStick initial Review - 1 days moderate use of 2 units.

So yesterday I received two of these mods/ batteries.
    I bought them from Heavensgifts as a sort of pre-order. It arrived much earlier than expected, and some people got theirs even earlier than me.
    I ordered two, a black and a red. Well the finish is really nice and the colours rich and luxurious feeling, but the red one I received is actually a rose pink and really very feminine. I will still use it, but be warned if that is an issue for you, the so called red is a very girly looking battery indeed, I think most people would agree. My GF does.

Specs are here. Eleaf iStick
    VV/VW 1 -3 ohms , 2200 mah batterry fixed, not replaceable ( easily).

The size is tiny, I can add pics if needed sometime but have no camera at the moment. It is maybe a third or less of the size of my smaller Hanna box mod clone. It feels nice in my average to small sized hands. It fits loosely into a shirt breast pocket and is a great stealth mod.

Well, I road tested these at a very long music event yesterday, they were great. They survived the drunk test. Each was topped with an ego adapter and a mini pro-tank 3. Pretty handy device.
    Very pocket friendly. Even though the buttons don't lock there was no issue. It is easy to turn off and on with the 5 click thing if you want.
    It was also great yesterday with a carto on it. That looked and felt good.
    Larger tanks throw the look and balance out. I think even the PT3 mini is a little too long.
    My stillare dripper clone really seems to sit nicely on it though. Really nice.

But there may be an issue with the function of this mod, that may be a problem for some of you users. Which of you knowledgeable Guru people wants to clarify the issue? Seems to me the programming for this mod is maybe up the putt.

Today I am using a Stillare clone dripper on it now. That feels very nice too. It is coiled at 1.6 ohms according to the iStick. The power on the iStick will not adjust up beyond 18.9 watts. Take the dripper off, and it will adjust all the way to 20 watts again. Put the dripper back on and down it goes.
    The dripper measured as:
    1.5 ohms on both a Hana clone and a Dovpo eMech,
    as 1.6 ohms on the iStick,
    and as 1.8 ohms using my multimeter with the probes on it.
    I thought maybe the probes of the multi meter don't contact as solid as something threaded to the 510 connector does.

With the mini protank 3 with ego adapter the readings were:
    eMech 2.0 ohm,
    iStick measured 2.1 ohms,
    multimeter 2.3 ohms. ( consistent)
    When this PT3 mini is on the eLeaf iStick the max watts I can set it to is 14.4 watts. Won't go higher.

This works identically on both units. I suspect that the only way it will actually go to twenty watts is to have a 1 ohm device attached. i cannot wrap a 1 ohm coil to test it at the moment as the house is full of kids.

A patriot style dripper coiled at .8ohms read as .8 ohms (same on both the Hana clone and the iStick??? Damn electrickery!) and therefore would not fire.
    It seems like the " algorytm " used to regulate the power sets the watts limit lower for higher resistance colis. I don't need higher for what I do, but this seems to be a fault. Any body else find this on yours?
    The higher the ohms the less watts you need anyway right?

So summary,
    not for the low ohm people, good for the clearos and cartos user at over 1 ohm, great for out and about, great for stealth. Nice for above 1 ohm dripper build. Colours and finish excellent, but red is really pink.

Only been through about 5-6 ml of juice so far, between 2 units so no idea of charging and battery life, or the accuracy of the battery meter on the iStick.
    btobw likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'm no guru, but you're running into the upper voltage limit, which is 5.5V.

At 2.1 ohms and 5.5V, you get 14.4 watts. You can't go higher than 14.4W because it won't exceed the 5.5V limit.
    mrsgruffy, MrGruffy, Nakor and 1 others like this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    It sounds like it will only boost the voltage to a particular level. Not surprising given the form factor.

Sounds like an interesting little device though...I've got a friend interested in one so I'll keep an eye out for updates

AVF Regular
    Finally found where I read about the voltage/wattage limitation:

eLeaf iStick VV/VW mod - TimboZero Vaping

When in watts mode the device will adjust from 2 to 20 watts.

In volts mode it can be adjusted between 3.0 and 5.5volts.

It has to be noted that you can not breach any of these limits. If you set for 2watts and it is less than 3.0volts it will fire at 3.0volts and visa versa. If you set for 5.5volts and it is more than 20watts it will fire at 20watts and visa versa.
    LimeB likes this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    Finally found where I read about the voltage/wattage limitation:

eLeaf iStick VV/VW mod - TimboZero Vaping
    So maybe I may as well just run it in voltage mode I suppose? Ah who cares really, I just turn it up until it vapes alright.
    giruvian likes this.

AVF Regular
    Had a 1.2 ohm kanger coil in pt3 mini today and as above suggested, it did not want to go to very low volts/ power, and the mod and clear seemed to he a bit and there were s few dry hits. Closer to to 2 ohms would seem to be the best option maybe.

AVF Regular
    Had a 1.2 ohm kanger coil in pt3 mini today and as above suggested, it did not want to go to very low volts/ power, and the mod and clearo seemed to heat up a bit and there were a few dry hits. Closer to to 2 ohms would seem to be the best option maybe.

Found this comment from testing at other forum

"There is also a short 1v pulse with a long interval while the display is on/not firing. You will notice that the device is constantly checking the atomizer while the display is on. It's a possibility that this is post heating the coil." http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...l#post14221905

Maybe this is why it was getting getting hot?
    Last edited by LimeB; 28-09-14 at 03:19 PM.