Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By flippantremark
  • 1 Post By Altered1
  • 1 Post By ticks

Thread: Kafun v4 clone review: Ehpro vs Tobecco

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Kafun v4 clone review: Ehpro vs Tobecco

Hi Guys,

I have both kayfun clones from Ehpro and Tobeco.

Ehpro's clones of the Kayfun lite, Squape R and others were widely considered to be the best clones available. Some consider them to be preferable to the authentics. The Ehpro clone of the Kayfun4 was greatly anticipated by the vaping community.

Tobeco is probably most prolific atomizer cloner out there. You name it, they've cloned it. They have a patchy reputation for quality but are always cheap and are usually one of the first to market.

I purchased two of both the Ehpro and the Tobecco clones from Health Cabin. I thought I'd give you my thoughts on how the two compare.

The Ehpro clone:

Build Quality: Extremely nice. All the threads are butter smooth, the finish of the stainless steel is nigh on flawless with a faint brushed finish. The glass section is also flawless with no micro fractures. The O rings are high quality. There is no machine oil smell. The insulator on the build deck is also nicely fitted and finished.

Extras: A complete set of spare O rings are provided, along with a spare airflow control screw and a build deck screw. A little double ended screwdriver with both flat and philips heads. The box is also very nice.

The atomizer:

There is no Svoemesto branding on the Ehpro. I like this a lot. I just do. I'm using a clone and I want to be honest about it.

The threads are smooth but very tight, you initially have to use the screw-driver-in-the-air-hole trick to disassemble the atomizer to get to the build deck and to close the juice control. The build deck is finished nicely with no discernable machining marks.

Once fully disassembled, it became apparent that this was not a true 1:1 clone in two respects. The top cap on the authentic has two flat sections on the thread, which is meant to allow air to escape after you have filled the tank as you screw the top cap back on. These are missing on the Ehpro version. This will be seen as a major error by most users. However I can say even after 5 refills I have yet to encounter any flooding, the juice control valve appears to be enough on its own to prevent this issue, any pressure build up as you screw the top cap back on is minimal. The other thing that is different from the authentic is the bottom section. On the authentic, this is held by flat nut to the 510pin. You can remove this nut to remove the bottom section in order to use other hybrid connectors such as the P3 connector. This is missing on the Ehpro version, it is machined from one peice of metal and cannot be removed. Most users would not find this a problem, however, I was planning to use mine on my Provari P3 and had already purchased the authentic P3 connectors in anticipation of using them with the clone.

The vape: The vape was perfect. I had to rewick the first time because I used too much wick and blocked the juice holes resulting in dry hits and a burnt wick. But a new shorter wick fixed this issue. Flavour was nice and strong and I'd say wet. This was my first RTA so I cannot speak with authority here but I was very happy.

The Tobeco clone:

Build Quality: Not bad. If I didn't have the Ehpro version I would have been quite happy. However in comparison the threads are not as smooth and slightly crunchy. The machine finish is not as good either, the stainless steel is whiter and there are discernable machining marks. The O rings were good though. The glass section did have tiny micro fractures at the edges where the glass had been cut, but you have to look hard to see them. The atomizer reeked of machine oil. I had to soak it for two days in degreaser (Simply Green from Bunnings) and clean it in my ultrasonic cleaner before I would even attempt to use it.

Extras. The only extra included is a spare spring. However this is a vital part which is not easily replaceable and having a spare is very comforting. The box is very plain but adequate.

The atomizer:

The Tobeco clone has the Svoemesto logos all over it. I do not like this, it's not a Svoemesto, its a clone.

The threads are tight. You have to use the screw-driver-in-the-air-hole trick to initially access the build deck. The juice control is not as tight. interestingly, it takes more turns to close off the juice control than it did on the Ehpro version. Once disassembled the build deck looked very rough with deep machine scoring. The terminal insulator also looked a bit rough. Everything was properly functional through, so things being a bit ugly on the inside is a minor issue. This is a proper 1:1 clone. It has the flats machined into the top cap and the 510 nut is removable allowing the bottom section to be replaced with the hybrid connector. With the hybrid connector fitted it looks very nice on my Provari P3, I like being able to apply serious torque to ensure that the atty is firmly fitted to the provari and won't unscrew when I close the juice control. The stainless steel is 'whiter' than the stainless used on the authentic hybrid adaptor but this is a minimal issue.

The vape: Although the machine oil smell is gone, I swear that I can still taste it in the vapor. Otherwise this atty vapes just as good as the Ehpro.

Conclusion:

Much has been made of the Ehpro KF4 clone missing the flat sections on the threading of the top cap. However in my experience this is not an issue. Perhaps in their own testing Ehpro realised this and left it out of the manufacturing process to save a few cents. The inability to change out the bottom piece for the hybrid connector was probably another conscious money saving decision on Ehpros part. This was a major disappointment for me, as I was really wanting to use it with the P3 connector. For most users though, this will not be an issue. I liked that the Ehpro version did not include the Svoemesto logos. If both atties were equal I would be choosing the Ehpro on this basis alone. However I'm sure not everyone feels as strongly about it as I do. The Tobecco version was not as nicely machined, however when taken its own it is more than adequate. The inclusion of a spare spring I'm sure will save a lot of people some hassle if they accidentally lose their spring. Both Atties have decent O rings and I have not had any leaks from either. The machine oil smell of the Tobeco was a major downside for me, it really put me off using the atomiser and took a lot of cleaning and degreasing before I was comfortable using it. I'm still not sure whether the machine oil taste to the vape is just in my head but it is there. In conclusion I would recommend both atties as good KF4 clones, however I would recommend the Ehpro over the Tobecco if you are not requiring a hybrid connection. It's just has a better quality finish and doesn't smell!
    Last edited by flippantremark; 20-01-15 at 05:16 PM.

AVF Regular
    Cheers man, I was looking at both of these myself

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ticks View Post
    Cheers man, I was looking at both of these myself
    Kiora Bro ! Nice to see a Kiwi hanging around. I like Kiwi's so much, I married one, a JAFA. Sorry to say she calls herself an Aussie now.

Great review FR!
    steve.c likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Great write up Flippa, warts and all exposed !
    And I really felt it was an honest, unbiased opinion which will help a lot of people in their decision making.
    Cheers
    Sodd

AVF Regular
    lol! From memory, I think this is the first review I've seen on a clone! good onya Flippantremark

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Altered1 View Post
    Kiora Bro ! Nice to see a Kiwi hanging around. I like Kiwi's so much, I married one, a JAFA. Sorry to say she calls herself an Aussie now.

Great review FR!
    Hey Altered, whats a jafa?

AVF Regular
    Just Another F'ing Aucklander

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    Hey Altered, whats a jafa?
    Just Another Fkn Aucklander.
    I spent 6 years in Australia, 3 in Brissy, 3 in Townsville.
    Loved it, but felt the grandparents were missing out on seeing the kids. There's no good vaping forums here, that's why I'm here. It's an awesome source for information and latest gadgets
    Altered1 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ticks View Post
    Just Another Fkn Aucklander.
    I spent 6 years in Australia, 3 in Brissy, 3 in Townsville.
    Loved it, but felt the grandparents were missing out on seeing the kids. There's no good vaping forums here, that's why I'm here. It's an awesome source for information and latest gadgets
    yeah, but you can just pop down K'Road to the local vape shop for premixed nic juice in terms of vaping, you're a little better off

the weather sucks though!

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    There is no Svoemesto branding on the Ehpro. I like this a lot. I just do. I'm using a clone and I want to be honest about it.
    Very good review, & I agree with your quoted comment above.
    Clones are a valid option, if only for the price.
    And sometimes they fix mistakes made in the original.
    But always assume when they say Stainless Steel, they mean the finish, not the metal !?!
    So if you get SS & it is SS, it's a bonus.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid