AVF Regular

Hcigar hb dna 40

Just thought I would I post a quick review on the HBDNA40 from HCigar. It's a DNA 40 so I won't go into the performance much.

The box is a little large for a single 18650 mod. This mainly seems to be because the chip is put in parallel to the battery sled rather than perpendicular like many other devices. This is to allow the screen to be longer side of the device I assume. Comparing it next to my IPV mini (30W) It is about the same height and thickness but close to 1cm wider than the IPV. That being said it's not terrible but I do feel like there is a lot of wasted space. Personally I would prefer the screen on the side and for it to be a thiner device.

The mod is fairly light being made of aluminium. Comparing again to my IPV it is lighter. It feels pretty sturdy however and seems well machined. Some of the edges are a little sharp but its nothing terrible and I suspect those will soften with usage. The surface has a nice texture too it; enough to give some grip but still feels very smooth in the hand.
    The battery door lines up with rest of the body and there just a little bit of play pushing it side to side. It has just a slight lip (around .25mm i would say) all the way around. You can see the seam of the door but at least on the black one it doesn't stand out. The magnet holding the door are fairly strong so it doesn't move without a fair bit of force. It's not hard to slide off so I'd say its just the perfect strength. On the other side from the battery door there is the screen and control buttons. There are embedded in a plastic insert/cover. At the top of this insert is the fire button. The button is engraved with concentric circles which gives it a nice texture. The press is nice and clicky and doesn't require much force. Below the fire button is the window for the screen. Its the original smaller DNA40 screen. On mine it is ever so slightly crooked but not by much. The adjustment buttons are slightly lighter press than the fire button but still have a nice clicky feeling to them. The distance between them is enough to not worry about pressing the wrong one but you can still press both with one finger.
    On one of the short sides there is a usb charge port so you can charge it with it standing upright. On the bottom there is lots of vent holes.
    On the top there is the 510 connector.I think it is a SS connector but I cannot verify this. The 510 itself has air slots and is surrounded by a drip well. It is almost flush with the device (something like 1/8mm above it so you can't really see a gap.It has a spring loaded copper pin; but the spring action is not the smoothest I have felt.

In using the device I have had no issues with any of the DNA40 functions including temp control. I don't have another DNA40 to compare to but seems like it is just fine. The fire button actually winds up being in a comfortable position in either the left or right hand; you just press it with a different part of your thumb. You can also get to the adjustment buttons with your thumb so it works pretty well.

So my main problems with the device are really aesthetic. I think it would have been better to put the screen and buttons on the side to make the device smaller. The plastic insert with the buttons and the screen looks out of place and I think it is far too wide. It would look a lot better if it was the same size of the screen at least, of even better if it had the larger DNA screen. The 510 connection is not centered on the shorter axis of the device when you take the battery cover into account. It's also in a bit of an odd spot on the other way.

But in terms of performance I think it works just fine and I don't have a worry about the build quality. Like all mods the question of how well the coating will hold up over time though remains to be seen. If like me you wanted to try a DNA40 without buying a $200+ mod I think this is a great option.

AVF Regular
    Nice review Ive just ordered one of these. Ive been putting it off for a while now because I couldnt see my self paying $200 odd bucks for something that only pumps out 40w. How ever Im a curious bastard so I need to know what all the temperature control stuff is all about.
    My biggest fear is that I might die and my missus will sell my vape gear for what I told her it cost

Konstantinos Farsalinos Nothing will be offered to you. You have to fight for your rights....

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by coal miner View Post
    Nice review Ive just ordered one of these. Ive been putting it off for a while now because I couldnt see my self paying $200 odd bucks for something that only pumps out 40w. How ever Im a curious bastard so I need to know what all the temperature control stuff is all about.
    Yeah that was kinda my issue. I didn't want to spend the money on a VS because the bottom screen just seems annoying to me.
    I really like the temp control (but the refinement thing on DNA40s is a PITA....really not sure what it is even supposed to do). If you have a subtank/nautilus not a bad idea to grab the nickel coils so you can have prebuilt nickel coils and don't have to wonder so much about the quality of the build.

Thanks for the review Been wondering about these! The issues with the rDNA 40 have been a bit off-putting, besides I still use my rDNA30 daily. Want something a bit different. Maybe I'll just get one of these and be done with it.