• 1 Post By Crisscross
  • 1 Post By sonnen
  • 1 Post By Nicaholic
  • 3 Post By Vaporific
  • 1 Post By Crisscross

Thread: SMY 35W Box mod

AVF Regular

SMY 35W Box mod

The SMY35 came from gearbest for me to review.

http://www.gearbest.com/electronic-c...pp_141264.html

This device comes nicely packed in its own zip around ego type case with bright orange writing, proclaiming for all to see what is inside. included in the case are instructions, a usb micro charge cable and a small blue screwdriver to adjust centre pin. I choose the coffee coloured one but it comes in 5 colours (SS, black, pink, blue and coffee)

Fit and feel. The anodised finish on the main body is clean and it appears to be well made. The device has chrome plates top and bottom with venting holes as you would expect in today's mods. It is also about the same dimensions as two vision fatboy spinners side by side. See comparison photo. I like the balance of the centre 510 connection and because of it the SMY35 stands steady both on its base and on its side. (Although it is quite tall depending what you have on it) As a fan of tall and slim vs short and chubby I think it is an attractive shape/weight and fits nicely in my hand. The buttons on the side are easy to find and are very clicky. The display has the obligatory slant.

Specifications
    Dimensions 105x33x21
    Output Wattage 7-35w
    Battery 2200mah

Features include Low wattage protection, locking, screen rotating, short protection and a simple overheat protection. According to the specs it will fire atomizers from 0.2 - 3.3ohm but I have not tested either levels.

Use. As so many of these devices the menu system is quite basic. Turn on, use up and down buttons to set wattage and screw in atomizer. The display shows atomizer resistance and wattage plus a small pic of the remaining battery level. I tested with LR & SR carto tank, silo light with 2.2ohm coil, carto tank with Sophia (2.0ohm coil) All of them screwed in nicely and felt secure. The pin is adjustable with the small blue screw driver. There is a lip on the 510 connector that has air flow channels and while that helped the carto tanks the silo lite tank was too airy and I needed to block one of the airflow holes in the base. Compared to how these tanks normally vape I would hazard a guess and say the output level is correct.

There is a lock function but rather than lock the settings it locks the device. While locked the device still does not sleep so you would have a lit screen in your pocket. Easy to find in a large handbag but an irritant if carried any other way.

Even though I think there is a slight drain in the battery with the constant awake mode the battery life and charging time was as expected for this 2200mah. It's my understanding (youtube research) that this device uses a high drain 18650 battery and you can DIY a replacement. I haven't opened it up so that is just heresay.

Some cons.
    There is a known button rattle and this one has a slight one as well. YouTube instructions are available to DIY a fix. It wasn't bad enough for me to do anything about it.

It does not sleep even in locked mode. The screen remains lit until you turn the device off. While it means there is no delay to fire I presume it has a constant trickle drain on the battery. I forgot to turn off one night and the screen light is bright. An unnecessary irritant.

You can't seem to lock the settings so there is a risk of accidentally changing them while holding the device in normal vaping. The buttons are raised and clicky so its unlikely but possible.

Button click. This is a pro and a con. They are very clicky and while I prefer clicky buttons this is so clicky that it feels cheap. Almost like clicky plastic vs SS switches.

Overall I liked it and at its price point it is a reasonable device but I would have to get over its lack of sleep function to use constantly.

Last edited by Crisscross; 10-04-15 at 04:53 PM.
    Fatman, btobw, Gremlin and 4 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    When is your youtube channel coming??

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnen View Post
    When is your youtube channel coming??

Zero chance of that happening.
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    I reckon you would do a great job
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yay you got it

Good stuff Crisscross. Glad to hear its a nice little mod.

Still waiting on mine would you believe They have sent me out another last Friday via express post but everywhere I try and
    track it, it says 'no data found' or invalid number.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    Yay you got it

Still waiting on mine would you believe They have sent me out another last Friday via express post but everywhere I try and
    Fingers crossed for you.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    Yay you got it

Try this tracking site Tara. It's Chinese but you should still be able to get some info on your package.

DPEX
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    'YouTube channel'

Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Zero chance of that happening.
    Thank the various Gods for that. I have a Youtube channel, but not enough download bandwidth to watch it! (I get internet by using my mobile phone as a hotspot for internet, and mobile data is expensive..)

I appreciate that there are still people who know how to type information, which is not only a much smaller download than a tube, but also 'search engine friendly'. ..And no, I don't want to see the f*#ken clouds the unit can produce on one particular setting, with one particular tank, using one particular juice. (Yeah OK.. I concede I'm not heavily into 'cloud chasing', but those times when reviewers blow a huge cloud into the camera marks them as complete wankers IMO.)
    gtadmin, Crisscross and Fatman like this.

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    'YouTube channel'

Thank the various Gods for that. I have a Youtube channel, but not enough download bandwidth to watch it! (I get internet by using my mobile phone as a hotspot for internet, and mobile data is expensive..)

I appreciate that there are still people who know how to type information, which is not only a much smaller download than a tube, but also 'search engine friendly'. ..And no, I don't want to see the f*#ken clouds the unit can produce on one particular setting, with one particular tank, using one particular juice. (Yeah OK.. I concede I'm not heavily into 'cloud chasing', but those times when reviewers blow a huge cloud into the camera marks them as complete wankers IMO.)
    Lol YouTube and video is too hard.
    Vaporific likes this.