Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Vape Tools Railbox Mod Review

AVF Regular

Vape Tools Railbox Mod Review

Ok so I have finally given the Railbox enough time and use to get past my infamous usual "OMG I LOVE THIS THING!!!" and "WTF?!?!?! I just paid $xxx for this POS?!" Mixed emotions that I had upon receiving it.

The Railbox is made by a company called Vape Tools. http://vape.tools/en/

When I first saw this thing I fell in love and jumped on the waiting list immediately. I waited around 10 weeks before receiving an email saying that I could now purchase and had to make a purchase within 24hrs or I would lose my spot. Lucky for me it was payday that day. So my order went in and a little over a week later I had it in my hot little hands.
    I purchased this as a gift to myself for staying off the stinkies for a year, and believe it or not it turned up on that exact day. So all fell into place like it was meant to be.

Opening the package I was like a child at Christmas opening the present I knew I wanted ever so badly for months which was now finally mine.

So was I happy once I first laid eyes on it and held it in my hands? No!
    The finish on the black anodised paint looked like that of a car that had faded due to sun damage ( can be seen along the top in the image below).

The holes where the airflow/venting is on the box was sharp and still had leftover burrs of filings attached (sorry in my frustration I didn't get a picture of this).
    The colour of the door in comparison to the body was different

There was a lip where the door met the body at the bottom.

The edges around the door area were generally sharp.
    They used a plastic ball bearing instead of a steel bearing like the billet box uses, and no channel guide down the door, which seems that over time will grind the bearing down to the point it's small enough to pop out.

Also the door is really gritty and hard to pull off and on.
    The logo on the Texalium is painted on, and seems it will flake off very easily.

At this point I was highly pissed off, upset and disappointed. A day that was meant to be a good one turned into my worst vaping experience since I started.

I wrote to them expressing my disappointment and listed all the flaws I had found.
    They replied being extremely apologetic and then went on to explain that being the first version it will have some flaws which will be addressed where possible and others implemented into version 2. They also stated that I needed to consider the fact that it is not a mass produced mod being pumped out by a machine, and actually being built and assembled by a single man. They have had a hard time finding a good place to get these anodised in France which also held up production. They have been using their prototype for around 7 months with no issues on the plastic bearing being worn down. As for the logo, they had tried multiple different ways to ensure its there for the long haul, one method being engraved, but found it looked horrible in the texalium.
    They said that I have the option to return it to them for examination and they will try and repair the other imperfections if possible, otherwise offer a refund. The also stated that if I ever did have issues with the bearing they would be happy for me to send it back for repair.

After a few emails back and forth I have suggested a few ideas that will be implemented into the next version.

After having the weekend to get some thorough use out of it, here is my current thoughts:

Firstly the airflow hole was easy to tidy up of excess filings left behind (wasn't a lot, but for the price I expect none).
    The lip on the bottom of the door where it meets the mod has reduced significantly (I assume it must have just been a burr that made it feel a lot worse). It's still there, but not that bad, and seems to be getting better with use. The ball bearing has settled down now and no longer leaves any marks on the door as shown in the photo above so I think it should be ok.
    The door has now settled down and is almost as smooth as a billet box to open and close.
    A bit of lubrication and maintenance and it will continue to run smoothly.
    the paint must have had something on it after the final coating as it has now shined up nicely. Not shiny enough that I can see my reflection, but doesn't look faded and is consistent throughout the mod.
    All edging that were initially sharp are now not as bad.
    The door is still slightly different, but is hard to tell unless you get it in the right light.

Now putting all that aside, the Texalium is a great look. As we know I'm a sucker for carbon fibre so this I just love.
    The main feature of the device is the rail system and that has been perfect from day one. It's most definitely a great innovation right there. I have had no issues with any atomiser I have put in it. It glides smoothly, easy to install atomisers, and doesn't suffer from any conductivity issues. Of course with lack of maintenance that could all change.

Heat doesn't build up and the airflow is adequate for even the arctic tank (massive airflow). The thing I love is the fact that it silences the atomiser in use and has a nice quiet sound to it.
    Size wise I was expecting it to be bigger and with my small hands, just too big for me. Surprisingly it's a comfortable fit and the position of the fire button lies right under my middle finger. It has a bit of weight to it. But considering it's housing an atomiser as well as battery, that's to be expected. I would say it's similar to that of the taste VTR. Perhaps a bit less when fully loaded.

One thing I wished they did was use the larger screen for the evolv dna40 chip. Having said that I love that it's on top. No flipping it sideways or upside down to see information. I also haven't had a single issue with this chip in regards to screen glitches or refinement issues. It does have Celsius as well, but no atty lock, so I'm not exactly sure which version of chip it is running.

The fire button is so soft to press but still has a small click so you know you have pressed it. I really like it. I have to lock it when not in use though as I have accidentally fired it while holding it and trying to do something else at the same time.

Don't ask me why, but I have found that I get more vapor production from this than I have with my vaporshark, using the same settings and atomiser. Can't for the life of me figure out why that is, but I'm not complaining.
    The + and - buttons are a bit firmer to press, and maybe a little small for my liking, but they work and do their job so I can't complain too much about that.

So final thoughts:
    I'll start by asking myself this question again - "So was I happy once I first laid eyes on it and held it in my hands?" Now I can say yes I am!
    Yes it has its flaws, but what first version mod doesn't?! Even mass produced mods have issues. Functionality wise this works flawlessly. As for the final finish, the only thing I could complain about is the use of a plastic bearing instead of steel, and ensuring that the edge of the door is flush with the body. If I wanted to get really picky, use the larger screen instead (but honestly not a big enough issue to worry about)
    Also if they can find a way to get the logo engraved/etched instead of painted, and also find other alternatives to the anodised finish. Personally if they had the finish of a billet box on this then it would be really nice. Also in version 2 perhaps offer some more colour choices and more styles of panels instead of just the Texalium and epoxy lining to cater for more people's tastes. Personally I would stick with the Texalium or a carbon fibre. And lastly, get a Yihi SX350J chip in it, and it would be my ultimate setup.

Final price shipped to my door was €335 which worked out to be AU$487. I would say that in these early stages, it's not worth that much. But then putting it into the makers perspective, depending on how many man hours are put into making each mod, it may work out as a standard wage and therefore I can understand the price point.

Would i recommend it to others? Look if you really want something unique, then yes. If you can wait to see what the V2 brings, even better. If the V2 fixes all the issues then I would highly recommend it to anyone willing to spend that much on a mod.

Here are some size comparisons compared to a Billet Box

I will post updates of anything that arises along the way, but so far so good.

Apologies for the Busardo length review.

Cheers

Damsel
    Last edited by D13S3L; 29-04-15 at 07:26 PM.
    Fatman, kingsr, jheltonau and 12 others like this.
    -Last Analogue-
    Thursday 24-04-2014 @ 4:00pm

Nice review D13S3L.
    I don't know if I'd ever be able to justify the cash for this but it ticks all the boxes for me. I love my BB for the size but can't beat my Rose for flavour (so I carry both) and this is just the device to solve that problem.
    Time for a lotto ticket
    Browny likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks Pipe. That's the exact reason for buying it except a squape instead of a rose. But I think waiting for the v2 will be the best bet.
    Pipesub likes this.
    -Last Analogue-

It just occured to me that the Rose doesn't have a removable drip tip so would it still work? Dang, 300+ euros AND 200 AUD for a Squape makes an xe set up :P

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipesub View Post
    It just occured to me that the Rose doesn't have a removable drip tip so would it still work? Dang, 300+ euros AND 200 AUD for a Squape makes an xe set up :P
    Hahaha ironically that would cost $666 Devils money!
    Yeah I didn't think of that so in actual fact no it wouldn't work. It needs to have the drip tip removed so it can press up into the connection which holds it in place
    Pipesub likes this.
    -Last Analogue-

AVF Regular
    Just vaping it now and the clouds I'm getting from this setup is the equivalent to a subtank but with more flavour.
    Just thought I'd throw that out there for my own personal satisfaction. Been suffering from this the past day or two lol
    -Last Analogue-

AVF Regular
    Looks like a pretty sweet device, really like the tank concealed inside the box gives it a stealth look. Where did you get your billet box from, and would you recommend it?

Mods: ProVari 2.5 Satin Black + ProVari 2.5 Zombie I + ProVari P3 Satin Silver + Sigelei 100W (PLUS) + Vapor Shark rDNA40 + Kanger Subox + Yihi 350j M Class + eVic-VTC Mini

Tanks: Kanger Sub Tank Mini + Vertex v2 RDA + Velocity RDA + Lemo V1 + Lemo V2 + Lemo Drop + Goblin Mini + Aspire Triton + Uwell Crown + OBS T-VCT

AVF Regular
    Billet box I picked up on here in the classies and I would highly recommend it. Get a borotank and kangaroo and its a killer setup.
    -Last Analogue-

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by D13S3L View Post
    Billet box I picked up on here in the classies and I would highly recommend it. Get a borotank and kangaroo and its a killer setup.
    You make it sound so easy............ LOL
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Haha yeah should have mentioned the whole F5 game to get the bits and pieces.

On that note the new boro was a pain to open up for the first time. Surprised I didn't break the glass
    dplongo22 likes this.
    -Last Analogue-

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast