Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Kangxin Mini VF Temp Controlled Box Mod Review

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Kangxin Mini VF Temp Controlled Box Mod Review

Temperature Control seems to be gaining in popularity, so I thought it was time I tried it out for myself & the first of the devices with TC that I am reviewing is the Kangxin mini VF.

Thanks to GearBest - Best Gadgets & Electronics Deals for providing the Kangxin mini VF to me free for this review, which like all my reviews will be my honest opinion & in no way influenced by that fact that the device was provided to me for free.
    The mini VF arrived in good condition & was housed in its own box, which has a scratch to check sticker on the back for authenticity.

Mini VF looks & unboxing:

Opening the box reveals the Mini VF, which has a good look to it, the finish on this mod is very nice indeed.
    Taking it out of the box we can see the buttons & the screen, as well as a strange dome near the 510 connection - more about that later.
    Also in the box are a sheet of instructions, a small zip lock bag with 2 coils - which I think are probably Ni200 (I did not use or test them) & a cable for on board charging from a USB connection.
    On the base you can see the on board charging port & the battery cap, this can be unscrewed using a coin or screwdriver, I have been using a 10c coin without any issues, the threads are nice & smooth, no dirt or crunchiness to them, the same goes for the 510 connection.
    Size wise, it is a little taller, approx 15mm, than a Cloupor mini but about the same length & width, although the body is 1/2 moon shaped, unlike the Cloupor mini.

Using the Mini VF:

The buttons work well even the up/down buttons are clicky & there is no rattle on them, the fire button is easy to find in the dark, clicky & is placed very well, it is in the right position for left or right handed use, thumb or forefinger firing, with either hand.
    The 510 connector is spring loaded, allowing for a nice flush fit with any atty I placed on it, the threads are smooth & trouble free.
    Holding the mod in either hand it is very comfortable, the finish is slightly textured, which helps prevent it slipping from your hand.

Clicking the fire button 5 times quickly will lock the device so it doesn't fire, while locked there are a few different functions that can be accessed.
    1. Holding the fire button & the up button at the same time, you can change the screen to face left or right (up or down).
    2. Holding the fire button & the down button at the same time, you can change from normal mode to "stealth mode", which turns the screen info off but still allows the LED to light up when firing the button, which to me seems a little silly. If you are going to add a stealth feature, why have a LED lighting up?
    3. This is the important one, holding both up & down buttons at the same time will put it into the temperature changing mode, where you can set your preferred temperature from 200F to 600F, in 10F increments.
    Going all the way up to 600F then beyond turns temperature mode off, so that you can use wattage mode with regular coiled atomisers.

Clicking the fire button 5 times quickly again takes it out of locked mode, so you can use it to vape with.
    Also while in this mode, you can use the up/down buttons to change the watts in 0.1w increments from 1w all the way up to 50w, hold ng the down or up button will auto scroll the adjustment.

A rather unique feature of this mod is the flashlight function, this is what that little dome is for.
    I must admit, when I first heard about this feature, I was not sure I would like it, in fact I was almost certain I wouldn't like it.
    Hoving used the mod for a while now, I can say it mostly doesn't bother me & I quite like the feature, which makes a flashlight close to hand for when needed.
    To use the flashlight, click & hold the up & down buttons at the same time, when it is in the unlocked mode, this will bring the steady beam on, clicking & holding again will make it a flashing beam & clicking & holding them again will turn it off.
    The part I am not overly enthused about is when firing the mod, the LED on the firing button also slightly lights up the dome, in a lit up room or in the sun this isn't a problem but in a darkened room, while not bright at all, the little blue "flash" when you take a vape can be noticed.
    I would have preferred that there was no LED on the fire button at all, while retaining the flashlight feature, which I think is quite a good idea, although others may disagree.

Temperature Control:

There is a lot of info available about TC, already floating around on forums or youtube, I am not going to explain how it works in detail but I will cover the basics for the mini VF.
    Using the Mini VF in TC mode, with a Ni200 coil worked flawlessly. When attaching atomisers, the mod will flash up on the screen "new coil up, same down", if it is a new atomiser or coil you press the up button & it will check the new resistance, if for some reason you removed your atomiser or if you swapped batteries (it will ask the question then too) then you would press the down button.
    Always check to see that a TC mod, in TC mode agrees with the ohms on the coil as you know the coil should be, if the reading is more than perhaps 0.02 ohms out then it will not work properly in TC mode.
    I had no trouble with the mini VF reading the ohms correctly, on any of my Ni200 coils, as checked on my ohms checker.
    Set at 50w, 440F, I encountered not a single dry or burnt hit, even when chain vaping, when the atty ran low on juice, the power would drop accordingly, keeping the temperature down to below the set maximum.
    In short, the TC mode on the Mini VF is a joy to use & is very effective.

Regular non-TC mode:

In Normal mode, the mini VF performs as you would expect any other VW mod to perform, adjusting the watts in 0.1w increments, auto scrolling if the button (up or down) is held.
    It does what it is supposed to do & provides power to the coil, I didn't have any issues with it in non-TC mode either.

Overall:

I really like the feel of this mod in either hand, it feels solid & has a nice weight to it without being too heavy, is easy to use & the button placements are intuitive, working well in either hand.
    The pictures don't do it justice, this feels like quality, the coating doesn't look or feel like it will scratch or chip off easily, the top & bottom caps are highly polished Stainless Steel, you could shave in them if you wanted to.
    The screen is clear, bright but not too bright & easy to read.
    I like the flashlight function, it is something I thought I wouldn't like about this mod but after having it in my hands, it changed my mind about that.
    It is a simple mod to use in TC or non-TC mode, it performs without any bugs as far as I can tell in the time I have had it.
    The spring loaded 510 worked well with all the atties I threw at it.
    The battery cap is easy to remove & replace, it is easy enough for me to screw it in or out using my thumb nail, then tighten the last 1/2 turn with a coin or keyring ring or screwdriver & it has adequate venting holes.

The on board charging works & even allows pass-through mode, however the placement of the port on the base of the mod is not ideal IMO, I like to be able to stand my mods upright, with the atty attached & not worry about if juice is going to leak if I rest the setup on its side.
    However for me, it is not that big of a deal, I prefer to take the battery out & place it in a dedicated charger but if you were wanting to use the mod as a pass-through, the placement of the charging port could restrict the types of atomisers you use on it.
    The biggest negative about the Mini VF is the LED lighting up every time you fire the button, even in "stealth mode", it seems strange to have a stealth mode & then have a bright LED light up & announce to those around "hey I'm having a vape over here!"
    The dome on the top of the mod, allowing the LED light to partially glow through it when firing the button is also a negative, it would have been much better for Kangxin not to fit that LED at all but retain the flashlight.

The positives of this mod far outweigh the negatives, some people will not like the LED/torch, which may be a deal breaker for them.
    This is unfortunate because Kangxin has produced a quality device here, then added a somewhat silly "feature" to an otherwise great mod.
    I still would recommend this mod if you are considering a TC device, at its price point, I think it is superb value & very good bang for your buck.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Another one. Noe you are becoming an official reviewer. When is the charity auction for all the free stuff.
    Stomp, btobw, bank and 2 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Good review - thanks for the info. I think the flashlight on these new devices are to work around those places that prohibit ecig / vape gear. Does it sound plausible?
    Noe likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Another one. Noe you are becoming an official reviewer. When is the charity auction for all the free stuff.
    I was just kidding about the auction but they would make a great PIF to some of the new members here or even those looking to step up a bit. I am sure between you and FM you could come up with something.

I am also sure Gearbest and myvapedeal would appreciate the gesture.
    giruvian, Fatman, btobw and 1 others like this.

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    I was just kidding about the auction but they would make a great PIF to some of the new members here or even those looking to step up a bit. I am sure between you and FM you could come up with something.

I am also sure Gearbest and myvapedeal would appreciate the gesture.
    No prompting needed, it was coming, organisation is the key .
    Crisscross likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

AVF Regular
    Have you used a DNA40 VF for a comparison of the chips?
    I've read the KX is an improvement.
    Perhaps they're the same.
    Noe likes this.

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by disley View Post
    Have you used a DNA40 VF for a comparison of the chips?
    I've read the KX is an improvement.
    Perhaps they're the same.
    Without giving too much away, yes I have & I like the Kangxin implementation better.
    disley likes this.
    Essie's Glass DTs

Noe
    Thanks to GearBest - Best Gadgets & Electronics Deals I have a Brand new, unused, Black(same as in the pics above but unused), Kangxin VF Mini to give away!

To be in with a chance to win it, the rules are simple:
    1. Post in the GearBest vendor thread here: GearBest.com - Best E-Cigarette Deals & First GIVEAWAY For All Members!!
    2. You must post links to 2 non vaping products that you like(these must be different for each entry), available at GearBest & also a link to your favorite RDA/RTA/Clearo/Subohm tank atomiser available at GearBest.
    3. You have until Monday the 29th 5pm EST to enter.
    4. You may post 1 entry per day, to have more chances to win, a day will run from 5pm EST until 5pm EST for this condition.
    5. The winner will be drawn at random by Zarya the GB rep. to ensure no favoritism.
    6. Winner will need to pay for Aust Post shipping from me to you.

Last edited by Noe; 26-06-15 at 09:12 PM.
    Crisscross, Fatman and trojan like this.
    Essie's Glass DTs

AVF Regular
    Do you already have it. So waiting is only australia post.

Noe
    Do you already have it. So waiting is only australia post.
    Yes I have it here, xomf wasn't co-operating earlier when I tried to post a pic of the new box, so I substituted the pic I had in the review for it.
    Oh & I have had it since before you asked about auctions
    Like I said it was the organising that was key
    Essie's Glass DTs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast