Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Noe
  • 1 Post By IvanDOTJ
  • 1 Post By CCVaper
  • 1 Post By Phukkin

Thread: Kangside U1000 "mini" 100W mod Review

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Kangside U1000 "mini" 100W mod Review

Thanks to GearBest Best Vapor & Electronic Cigarette Deals - GearBest.com who provided me with the Kangside KSD U1000 100W free for this review.

Kangside are probably best known for the Vamo, a mod that was cheap & the workhorse of many newbie vapers, as their first regulated mod.
    The Kangside U1000 100W "mini" is a dual 18650 box mod, using a YiHi SX330 chip.
    That's the same chip as used in the Sigelei 100w Plus which I reviewed here on AVF.
    So needless to say, I was very interested to see how the 2 of these units would compare, given my like for the Sigelei box mod.

Unboxing:

There is not a lot to unbox with this mod, there is the box, a foam insert with the mod sitting inside of the insert, a user manual & a QC certificate (card).
    Nothing hidden under the insert & no "extras" of any kind.

Looks, buttons, size, functions & quality:

In terms of functions, this mod works just like the Sigelei 100W plus, not surprising since they use the same chip, the only difference is in the version of the chip, the Sigelei uses a V1.2, while the KS uses a V8.09.

The same data is shown on the screens of both, however the placement of the information is changed but they both show battery power remaining, wattage setting, ohms of the coil & voltage applied.
    While on the subject of the screens the KS screen is brighter than the SG screen, which will help you to read it better in sunlight.

The KS box is about 10mm shorter & about 2mm thicker than the SG box, it is also about 2 mm wider at its widest point but since it has a rounded side, it feels in the hand about the same width & is perhaps a little more comfortable to hold.
    Of course comfort here is relative, since the Sigelei comes with a silicone sleeve, which IMO feels nicer in the hand than a metal box does.
    However, the Sigelei sleeve, after some modding ( trimming the top a little & cutting out for button placements), could be made to fit the KangSide box, quite easily.

I like the buttons on the Sigelei better than what they have put into the U1000.
    There is some button rattle, it;s not loud or very noticeable but it's there on the fire & the up down buttons, they also jut out further than the buttons on the Sigelei do.
    Other than that, they work very well & are almost placed in exactly the same place as on the Sigelei but where the Sigelei has the buttons centered on the side, the Kangside has them a little left of center.

The finish on the Sigelei, to me, looks to be of better quality, the 2 wavy lines on thew 100W plus is not everyone's cup of tea but if you discount that, the finish looks to be better quality.
    The Kangside box has a kind of brushed finish to it & has branding logos painted on too, which in my view cheapen the look slightly.
    I like the way the Kangside has a corner cut at 45 degrees & has a rounded side below that, it detracts from the "same old same old" box look.

They have also "sculpted" the top of the box, to include a semi circle on one side around where the atty will sit. This is my 1 biggest gripe with this box, if you are using a 22mm atty(most nowadays), that semi-circle section is going to get in the way, not a great deal but it does & after a couple of weeks of use, the marks are clearly visible. If you are using a larger 23mm or bigger atty, you will have a quite noticeable gap on one side of your atty & the top plate.
    I would have preferred that they make this top plate flat, this stepped semi-circle serves no real purpose & it would be better without it.

The Sigelei is heavier.
    The KangSide is 119gm without batts installed & 211gm with batts installed.
    The Sigelei is 152gm without batts installed & 244gm with batts installed.
    The slight size difference couldn't account for this discrepancy alone IMO & looking at the battery covers, the metal on the Sigelei appears to be thicker, which would help to explain the difference.

The battery sled used in the Kangside is adequate, the battery sled in the Sigelei is better.
    It is quite easy to see where corners have been cut on the Kangside, to keep costs down, when comparing it with the Sigelei.
    So in terms of quality, overall the Sigelei is the better box but that isn't the whole story.

Price & Overall thoughts:

Here is the big surprise, the Sigelei will cost around $80-$100US, the Kangside will cost around $50-$60US, that's a lot of saving!
    Essentially you are getting the same vape experience from both boxes, one is made a little better & may last longer but they use the exact same chip, just different versions of it.
    Are Sigelei making you pay for their name?
    I think they are a little, the difference in quality isn't that great to warrant almost doubling the price, having said that, I prefer the Sigelei box but if I was buying a new one or replacing the old one, the Kangside would almost certainly be the one I bought.

As a cheap, dual 18650, 100W capable box mod, the U1000 is a very good choice.
    It has its cons & may be a little inferior to some other 100W box mods when it comes to quality of construction & design "features" but it is reliable, has a great chip installed in it (yes it is a genuine YiHi SX330 as you will see when I upload the pics) & it's affordable.
    In terms of quality vs price, this reminds me very much of the Vamo, the Vamo was popular because it had all the features of more expensive tube mods but was affordable, the U1000 may just be the Vamo of box mods.
    CCVaper likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Pretty cool, keep up the good job!
    Noe likes this.

AVF Regular
    Great review mate.

Price wise, I have to agree. You get what you pay for and it seems to be a great cheaper alternative to the SG and why not.
    Noe likes this.
    I will be travelling in time, please leave a message and I will get back to you last week.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Nice review, I had been looking at this. That's a pretty cool ring too, looks like medieval version of one of those NFL championship rings haha. Gotta say I am a little concerned about the circulation to your thumb though :P can you even get that off?
    Noe likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phukkin View Post
    Nice review, I had been looking at this. That's a pretty cool ring too, looks like medieval version of one of those NFL championship rings haha. Gotta say I am a little concerned about the circulation to your thumb though :P can you even get that off?
    I can get the ring off

I can also report that the mod in the review is still working fine, I quite often use it when my other mods need their batteries charged & it has never skipped a beat
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!