Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Noe
  • 5 Post By Noe

Thread: Asolo 200w TC box mod

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Asolo 200w TC box mod

Thanks to CIGABUY, who provided me with the sample free for this review, today I have another box mod to discuss, the Ijoy Asolo 200w Temperature Control mod.
    Cigabuy has these at time of writing, available on their site Here for just $77.99US if you want the Gold color version. They also have a Black version Here for $149.00US but if you add the coupon code "Asolo" at checkout, the price drops to $89.40US.
    Shipping will add around $10-12US to the cost & there is presently no express shipping option to Australia on Cigabuy.
    Either the Gold or Black version are the cheapest I have seen this particular mod offered for, anywhere & the Gold version in particular is very cheap for a 200w box mod.
    Not only does the Asolo have Nickel & Titanium TC modes but it also claims to have TC mode for Kanthal & other wires such as Stainless Steel.

Unboxing:
    The Asolo comes housed in a black, waxed or rubberised cardboard box, it has Ijoy & Asolo printed in gold, along with a link to the Ijoy website on one side & a scratch to verify authenticity sticker.

Taking the outer sleeve off, reveals a blueprint type picture of the Asolo on top & the company logo on the bottom, "I Joy, For your Joy" of the protective housing.
    On one side there is an opening with a pull ribbon that contains the Asolo & all the extras that come with it.
    On top there is a foam rubber block, with the Asolo bedded into it and a 510-eGo thread adapter, just who is going to buy a 200W mod & use eGo threaded clearos/devices on it has me a little baffled but there may be vapers that will, unlikely as it seems.

Removing the foam insert there is below, a cardboard cutout which when lifted reveals the included protective silicone cover, warranty card (warranty is for 90days), another card with "tips" on it, a fairly extensive instruction manual in English & Chinese and some stick-on covers for the front & back panels(I think made of vinyl).

Looks, quality & feel:
    The short version is, this looks & feels like a quality made product, if you want to know in more detail, read on.

Thought has gone into this mod, looking at the top around the 510 connector, it is easy to see consideration was given for minor leaks & seepage from atomisers & in preventing them from entering the mod through the 510. This same consideration extends to the design to help prevent unsightly scratches on the top of the mod, from screwing & unscrewing atties onto it.
    A slightly raised section not quite 22mm in diameter has been molded around the 510, which means atties won't sit exactly flush but at the same time look as good as on other mods where they do sit completely flush.

The buttons do not rattle, they are not loudly clicky but they do click, are tactile, well positioned & easy to find, without being easy to accidentally fire.
    The body feels solid, the coating on the body does not look like it will easily peel, flake, chip or scratch.
    The spring loaded contacts inside the mod, ensure there is no battery rattle, the markings for negative & positive a clear on both the mod & the battery cover.
    The battery cover slides & clicks into place, being held in with the assistance of 2 magnets on the body & 2 on the cover. In practice I found the cover did not want to slide off at all in use but is also easy to slide off when recharging batteries. Replacing the cover with batteries installed is a little more difficult, as should be expected, since the cover also acts as contacts for the batteries but is still quite a simple process.

It is quite a heavy mod, at about 310 grams with RDA & batteries installed, compared to the Sigelei 100w plus with the same RDA & batteries though it is lighter & it is also lighter than the Evic VT, which is the heavier of the three.
    It is noticeably smaller than the Sigelei & much closer to the Evic in size, while sitting between 5-10mm taller than the Evic.
    Rounded corners on the body make this sit very comfortably in the hand compared to the other 2 mods (Evic, Sigelei) with their respective silicone covers on, the Asolo IMO feels the nicest to hold, although I prefer the silicone covers of the other two. There is nothing wrong with the feel of the cover, all 3 have the same texture & do their job in that respect but the cover on the Asolo slides down from the top of the mod, while the other 2 slide up from the bottom.
    I would prefer it if the Asolo cover also slid on this way, the way it slides on now, during use it can ride up & is really only prevented from sliding off by the fire button. I can see why Ijoy thought it may be a good idea to have the cover slide on as it does, to allow access to the battery cover quickly. Really though if I need to change batteries, then sliding a cover off the mod is not an inconvenience, having to slide it back down during use is more of an inconvenience & this will become more of a problem over time, as the cover gets worn with age. Hopefully they will bring out covers that slide up from the bottom for the Asolo.

Pipesub and rupert like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    In use:
    First let's look at the 200W claim that this mod says it can put out.
    The Asolo uses dual 18650 batteries, the highest continuous amp rated batteries currently available can supply 30A, since this mod connects the batteries in series that is the maximum amps that can safely be supplied. Also being series, means the mod starts with 8.4 Volts available from fully charged batteries, as the power is drained, the available voltage will be less, until at 6.4V the screen will give a warning "low battery".
    This 6.4V value is the minimum voltage that the mod will try to operate on, so that is what I will use in my working out of safe limits.
    Thus the safe limit, to run this mod at, with batteries that can output 30A continuous, is 192W (30A X 6.4V).
    Please do not try to exceed the capabilities of your batteries in any mod, vape safe!

Most batteries will not even be able to run at that high a wattage, if you are unsure of the AMP rating of your batteries, find out before pushing them to extreme limits!

Thankfully, the Asolo has a lot of safety features built in, although you should never rely on safety features to save you from being stupid & doing unsafe things. Be responsible for your own safety.
    I encountered one of those features, when trying to vape at around 30W, on batteries that were near drained, instead of getting continuous power to the coils, the mod fluctuated the power to keep up with what the batteries could still supply, rather than trying to drain more than they wanted to give.
    I have not had the mod above 60W, I find it unnecessary & uncomfortable to vape even at 60W but I imagine, this same feature may kick in at higher watts even on fully charged batteries. So if your batteries are not capable of producing the power you want to run, the Asolo appears to not let you run it that high.
    So, 200W may be possible for a short time when using fully charged 30A rated batteries but you likely will not get to use their full capacity before the Asolo starts limiting the power available.

When you put the batteries in & try to fire the mod, it will come up with "no atomiser" unless you have an atty screwed on.
    When you screw an atty on & fire for the first time, the Asolo will be automatically in Power mode & start at 15W it will be in this mode regardless of the wire your coil is made of. In this mode you can select the wattage you want to use for a Ni or Ti TC coil or any other type of resistance coil, for instance Kanthal in standard wattage mode.
    To switch to TC mode for use with Ni or TI wire, you need to click the bottom of the "T" button 3 times, the screen will then ask you Ni or Ti, Ni will be flashing & is the default TC mode it will go into if you do not click the top of the "T' left or right, when Ti is flashing it will go into Ti mode, you can then select the temp by clicking the top of the "T" either left or right, the default temp is 450 F, which I think is a little too high 400F would have been a better starting temp for safe use.
    The Ni & Ti TC modes work in much the same way as other TC mods I have used, having more in common with the seamless TC of the Kangxin mini VF than a DNA40's clunky TC implementation. However, it has a habit of asking "new/same?" when the atty has not been taken off the mod & nothing has changed except the resistance during vaping, if you vape & let the screen go blank this may or may not happen, depending on how warm the coil still is when you next try to fire the mod.
    It would have been nice to have a "resistance lock" feature, to lock the coil in & avoid the annoying nag screen but besides that the TC mode works as it should.

For Kanthal TC (and other wires such as SS or Nichrome etc) mode, First you need to "teach" the Asolo in wattage mode, to do this you need to find your preferred wattage for the coil for best performance (flavor vapor etc). Once you have done that, take at least a 3 second vape(this helps prevent the Asolo from giving false dry coil warnings), then click & hold the bottom of the "T' to go into Kanthal TC mode.
    This is not a "true" TC mode as there is no temperature setting, however there is a % setting 100%(Normal mode) is the same as the wattage you selected before, the % can be adjusted up to 110% (Hard mode) & down toas low as 80%(Soft mode). I tried both maximum % & minimum %, as well as various %s between but found 100% to be best for my vape style.
    While not a true TC, the Kanthal TC mode works very well, it is my preferred mode for the Asolo.

Overall:
    I like that this has dual 18650 batteries, the 200W limit to me is not a big deal, a TC mod that can perform for 3 or 4 days without needing a recharge is a bigger deal, for the same reason I like my Sigelei 100W plus & other non-TC dual 18650 mods.
    The Asolo doesn't disappoint in that respect, allowing me to vape on & on & on with nearly 4 days of vaping from a pair of 25R batteries at around 27-35W (depending on which atty & type coil I was using).
    The size & feel of this mod is great in the hand, aside from my Kangxin mini VF, which is only a single 18650 mod, this is the most comfortable to hold box mod I have used.
    The Kanthal TC mode is a great feature & is currently unavailable on any other mods as far as I am aware, I was unable to "force" a dry hit from my builds using this mode.
    "Standard" Ni & Ti TC modes also work well, aside from the annoying nag screen of "new/same?", which could have been avoided with a "resistance lock " feature, I believe.
    Regular Variable Wattage mode also works well, in fact I prefer it to some of my other box mods, the vape seemed to be smoother at the same wattage with the same atty & coil than it was on my other favorite mods. I don't really know how to explain this except to say the vape quality seemed smoother, turning the watts up to try to replicate the "harshness" I was experiencing on the other mods only resulted in a warmer vape. I think perhaps the power regulation is smoother, thus the vape is smoother or maybe I am just guessing, whatever the reason, I know what I felt when comparing.
    If I didn't already own this mod & I'd had a reasonable amount of time to try it out, it would be very high on my "must have" list, if I lost it I would replace it, without doubt.
    The Asolo 200W TC mod is a high end device not only in power output but also in quality & feature set.
    Pipesub, Dark, IvanDOTJ and 2 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Good review noe...