Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Sophia v2 (byleo)

AVF Regular

Sophia v2 (byleo)

A quick review of the Sophia v2 (purchased direct from Byleo - long and standard body)

If you are new to Sophia. It is a rebuildable atomiser with eliquid control for carto tanks or dripping. The v1 has been out for quite a while now and I am a big fan. Using them allows me to tailor my build for each of my liquids. Refer Btobw's how to use a Sophia.

The v1 had irritants for a lot of folks including, tight airflow, prone to flooding, ceramic cups and the need to use NR-R-NR wires for your coils. I was a lazy user of the v1. I bought prewicked coils with silica wicks from fasttech and did not encounter the flooding issues. Airflow was the same as cartos so it was business as usual. For me it was easy to dry burn the silica and the prewicked coils are extremely cheap and I also found them consistent.

Bring on the improved v2. The v2 is a different concept. It is designed with a SS cup and a small deck that allows you to use all wire types, it has bigger airflow holes (still in the 510 connection) and has a different eliquid control path that limits flooding. Because of where the coil sits above the airflow hole the flavour should be better.

Pic courtesy of byleo

First impressions.

Out of the box it is tricky to build because of the tiny size of the components but there are now videos that show you how to hold it all together. My first build was a complete mess and it was frustrating. (Note to females with long nails it's hard to hold all the bits together)

The second build was a SS wire 9 wraps 30g 1.4ohm with rayon wicking and worked beautifully. The eliquid control worked well and I could see the attraction for people to switch to this version. All the different builds are possible and I understand the atomiser itself has been tested to .4ohms with really good results.

But I actually don't like the taste of rayon and found the SS coil a bit slow to heat fast enough for my fairy vapes. After a week I decided to go back to kanthal and silica and had a lovely build and everything was back to normal (still a bit slow to heat) No flooding, airflow was reasonable and all was sweet.

This morning was my weekly maintenance routine and I looked at the two different versions of the Sophia with a critical eye.
    - My v1 took me less that 3 mins to setup, the v2 a good 10-15mins and was messy.
    - I put NR-R-NR coils with silica wicks on both to get the speed up. But I had a bit of trouble getting the wicks set properly in the channels of the V2.
    - Because of how high the coil sits on the V2 and the way the air flow is directed, I think it is a warmer vape (not necessarily a good thing with menthols).
    - Again because of where the coil sits over the air hole the flavour is a bit better on the V2. However vapour production seemed to be the same. It would probably be better for people who vape with a different technique.

These are some links to reviews and instructions by the maker and in their thread on ECF.
    Byleo
    http://www.byleo.eu/bl/en/σοφια-rta/177-σοφια-v2.html

ECF - Qorax review and tutorial (post 194)

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...706073/page-10

Final thoughts.

I can see the attraction of the V2. The flexibility of coil builds and wicking and importantly no more reliance on NR-R-NR or ceramic cups (which are becoming scarce)

For my fuss free style of vaping however I prefer the v1. I can build in mins and have a setup I can just vape. It also helps that I have a large stash of consumables. I would recommend the V2 as the concept is excellent and it works..... For me and how I want to vape I will stick with my v1s.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 14-11-15 at 10:49 AM.
    giruvian, gtadmin, btobw and 3 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    A quick review of the Sophia v2 (purchased direct from Byleo - long and standard body)

If you are new to Sophia. It is a rebuildable atomiser with eliquid control for carto tanks or dripping. The v1 has been out for quite a while now and I am a big fan. Using them allows me to tailor my build for each of my liquids. Refer Btobw's how to use a Sophia.

The v1 had irritants for a lot of folks including, tight airflow, prone to flooding, ceramic cups and the need to use NR-R-NR wires for your coils. I was a lazy user of the v1. I bought prewicked coils with silica wicks from fasttech and did not encounter the flooding issues. Airflow was the same as cartos so it was business as usual. For me it was easy to dry burn the silica and the prewicked coils are extremely cheap and I also found them consistent.

Bring on the improved v2. The v2 is a different concept. It is designed with a SS cup and a small deck that allows you to use all wire types, it has bigger airflow holes (still in the 510 connection) and has a different eliquid control path that limits flooding. Because of where the coil sits above the airflow hole the flavour should be better.

Pic courtesy of byleo

First impressions.

Out of the box it is tricky to build because of the tiny size of the components but there are now videos that show you how to hold it all together. My first build was a complete mess and it was frustrating. (Note to females with long nails it's hard to hold all the bits together)

The second build was a SS wire 9 wraps 30g 1.4ohm with rayon wicking and worked beautifully. The eliquid control worked well and I could see the attraction for people to switch to this version. All the different builds are possible and I understand the atomiser itself has been tested to .4ohms with really good results.

But I actually don't like the taste of rayon and found the SS coil a bit slow to heat fast enough for my fairy vapes. After a week I decided to go back to kanthal and silica and had a lovely build and everything was back to normal (still a bit slow to heat) No flooding, airflow was reasonable and all was sweet.

This morning was my weekly maintenance routine and I looked at the two different versions of the Sophia with a critical eye.
    - My v1 took me less that 3 mins to setup, the v2 a good 10-15mins and was messy.
    - I put NR-R-NR coils with silica wicks on both to get the speed up. But I had a bit of trouble getting the wicks set properly in the channels of the V2.
    - Because of how high the coil sits on the V2 and the way the air flow is directed, I think it is a warmer vape (not necessarily a good thing with menthols).
    - Again because of where the coil sits over the air hole the flavour is a bit better on the V2. However vapour production seemed to be the same. It would probably be better for people who vape with a different technique.

These are some links to reviews and instructions by the maker and in their thread on ECF.
    Byleo
    http://www.byleo.eu/bl/en/σοφια-rta/177-σοφια-v2.html

ECF - Qorax review and tutorial (post 194)

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...706073/page-10

Final thoughts.

I can see the attraction of the V2. The flexibility of coil builds and wicking and importantly no more reliance on NR-R-NR or ceramic cups (which are becoming scarce)

For my fuss free style of vaping however I prefer the v1. I can build in mins and have a setup I can just vape. It also helps that I have a large stash of consumables. I would recommend the V2 as the concept is excellent and it works..... For me and how I want to vape I will stick with my v1s.
    Ive considered the sophie, but if your gonna go rba you might as well go with an rba tank imo. Its so much easier just to slip a carto in there and at $7 a pack, with each carto lasting around two weeks its cheap as. These sound like more trouble than their worth.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    Ive considered the sophie, but if your gonna go rba you might as well go with an rba tank imo. Its so much easier just to slip a carto in there and at $7 a pack, with each carto lasting around two weeks its cheap as. These sound like more trouble than their worth.
    It comes down to how you want to vape. Plenty of choices out there.

For me the Sophia v1 is a beautiful vape and cartos don't come close. Silica wicks & Coils last for ages and I have a lot of tanks.
    gtadmin, Fatman and steve.c like this.

AVF Regular
    It comes down to how you want to vape. Plenty of choices out there.

For me the Sophia v1 is a beautiful vape and cartos don't come close. Silica wicks & Coils last for ages and I have a lot of tanks.
    If its a better vape, fair enough. But a proper rba would be better i reckon. I suppose to each his own but if ive got a carto tank ill put a carto in it. With and rba tank, it has a proper deck easy for building.

AVF Regular
    If its a better vape, fair enough. But a proper rba would be better i reckon. I suppose to each his own but if ive got a carto tank ill put a carto in it. With and rba tank, it has a proper deck easy for building.
    Not questioning your choices. This was a review of something I tried.

I don't want a RTA been there done that and I won't go into all the things wrong I found with most RTA's
    Fatman and Midlife like this.

AVF Regular
    I have a early Diver and a V1 Sophia and I have found the vape is good with both but I don't like the taste of silica much. I have built both with silica and cotton and while they are good I have always had leaking and or dry hits. I rebuilt the Sophia last weekend and I found I had to have the juice control open a lot when the tank was full but as the juice level got down it started flooding. I ended up putting a carto back in. I will try rewicking again as I do want this to work but I don't need the hassle of mucking with juice control all of the time.

Thanks for a great informative post Crisscross.
    gtadmin, Crisscross and Fatman like this.

AVF Regular
    Not questioning your choices. This was a review of something I tried.

I don't want a RTA been there done that and I won't go into all the things wrong I found with most RTA's
    Agree about the whole rta thing, really not into them. I suppose the Sophia is a good choice to put into a small carto tank for compatibility. Rta's tend to be bulky. What are the size choice with the Sophia? Is it standard size only or are they extendable?
    Midlife likes this.

AVF Regular
    Agree about the whole rta thing, really not into them. I suppose the Sophia is a good choice to put into a small carto tank for compatibility. Rta's tend to be bulky. What are the size choice with the Sophia? Is it standard size only or are they extendable?
    There are three sizes, short (35mm equiv) standard (45mm equiv) and long which has a built in driptip

They can be used as a dripper with the eliquid control closed.
    steve.c likes this.

AVF Regular
    Part of my testing and using these types of atomiser/rebuildable cartomizers is the writing on the wall. If you like tanks the way I do then cartos are getting hard to come by. Unless you have a significant quality stash then you are going to have to rethink.

I would rather do it now and not be forced into a frustrating search when I need an alternative.
    Fatman and Midlife like this.

AVF Regular
    Part of my testing and using these types of atomiser/rebuildable cartomizers is the writing on the wall. If you like tanks the way I do then cartos are getting hard to come by. Unless you have a significant quality stash then you are going to have to rethink.

I would rather do it now and not be forced into a frustrating search when I need an alternative.
    I agree. It is frustrating for anyone that doesn't want a low ohm tank on a huge box mod. The push to get new vapers onto these devices is wrong in my opinion and I am sure it is turning a lot of people away from vaping.

If I can get one of these rebuildable carto's to work consistently like a normal carto I will be a happy camper.
    giruvian, Fatman and steve.c like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast