Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Jazz Cartopipe from JuiceWhore

Jazz Cartopipe from JuiceWhore

OK, so there's been a few reviews already covering the Jazz Cartopipe but, now that I own a few variants, perhaps a comparative review is in order.
    I will divide the review into parts, firstly a general review covering all variants and then on to the separate models.

General:
    The Cartopipe is a 3.7v all mechanical mod optimised for use with cartomisers. That is a simple explanation but what it doesn't address is the aesthetic and architectural qualities of this work of art.
    Each one is hand-crafted from real wood and has an individual charm and character. The wood is rich and warm and each one has an engraved logo on the stem which only adds to its classiness. The architecture of the pipe is just as important, as the cartomiser is fully encased in a wooden chamber. The air intake, on the un-tanked models at least, is via a small hole in the wooden stem. The air is drawn into the wooden chamber and “pre-heated” by the cartomiser's residual heat. The end result is that the vapour is warmer and more “smoke-like”. The other benefit of the chamber is that it muffles the sound of the cartomiser.
    To compare it to the DSE601 E-pipe would be unfair as the 601 is a toy alongside the Cartopipe. What I will say is that the Cartopipe is considerably smaller in all ways and much more solid... oh, and it works.
    Compared to other e-cigs it really lacks nothing unless you are the type who needs digital feedback to experience the world. One major benefit of the pipe format is in the safety area. The battery is further from your face and has a large vent area pointing vertically and away from you, mitigating explosion dangers.
    The Cartopipe is designed to take a single 18350 battery but will work with a 16340. I use AW18350s but have used the 18350s from a 601. Can't really tell any difference in function nor longevity but the AWs are prettier.
    A lot of reviews have commented negatively about the button. Frankly, it's one of the best I've used. Light to press and fully mechanical. I don't know whether they have changed the design of it or maybe I have super-strength but it just isn't an issue.
    The first one I bought with the battery cover as I thought I would hate seeing the battery. The second one I didn't get the cover and it didn't faze me one bit. This comes down to personal preference I suppose.
    I have read reports that people have used these with atomisers for dripping with success but can't say I have tried it myself. I use these with Smoktech 1.5 DCs.

So let's look at the variants.

Original Jazz:
    This is the bent stem which Americans refer to as European style.
    A very compact unit which almost hides in your hand. It has a broad mouthpiece and angles down at about 45 degrees

Straight stem:
    This is the one which Americans refer to as American style but I like to think of it as Madmen style.
    I was hesitant to try the straight stem pipe as I was sure that I would prefer the bent but it has worked its way into my heart and is now my favourite.
    It is more “petite” than the original. The bowl is smaller, the stem is smaller and the mouthpiece is smaller but overall it is longer.
    The wooden chamber is about 1mm smaller in diameter than the original, the upshot being that the air is pulled closer to the cartomiser and therefore pre-heated more. This means that the straight pipe has more of a throat hit than the bent one. I think also that the bend in the original cools the vapour more than the straight pipe as the vapour increases in velocity as it goes around the corner.
    Another plus for this model is that the cartomiser pokes out of the wooden stem more than on the bent one, not that it is a problem but it's always nice to have a little more to grab on to.

Tank Cartopipe:
    My tank of choice is the Smoktech but if the Liquinator is your TOC, I am sure it will work to your requirements.
    This is where my worlds collide. The only reason for using any other mod for me was so that I could use a tank for hassle-free non-stop vaping with a tank. My other mods are now collecting dust.
    Unfortunately, there is a downside, When the tank is attached the air no longer comes in through the hole in the stem but through a small gap around the bottom of the tank. This changes a lot of things. The air is no longer preheated and the sound of air intake is louder. Having said that, no different to using a tank on any other mod.
    One other benefit in using the Smoktechs is that the new coloured tanks are interchangeable with the clear ones. This reduces the length (albeit a bee's ****) and allows for matching the tank to your outfit (so important in these fashion concious days :P).
    I think that the Liquinators can do a presto change-o trick too.

To End:
    Which one to get?
    Depends on what you want. I love having all three in my armoury. The “Tank” is probably too big for public use but having said that, I used it as I walked through Melbourne city the other day and no-one looked twice.
    The “Bent” is very compact and feels right when I am working.
    The “Straight” is good for out and about. If you have smaller hands this would be the one for you.

If you are looking to upgrade and get a mod you could probably pass on to your descendants, you could do a lot worse than one of these but I'm not sure you could do much better.

Get it here:
    JuiceWhore E-Liquid E-Juice - JazzCartoPipe
    wood duck likes this.

I have a "bent" one. I hesitate to call it a mechanical mod because it has wires. I suppose that is according to your definition of mechanical vs. electrical. But the switch is mechanical even though it has wires in the circuit. I tend to think of mechanical as your megaladon and empire that have no wires and uses the body of the mod as a ground. And just shifts the battery or a plunger to complete the circuit. But if you define it as mechanical, semi-mechanical, or something all together different. I think we agree it is a well built mod. It has a permenant home in my mod collection.

-s

My definition is based on mechanical vs. electronic. I would say that all mods are electrical but the major difference is whether the switching is done mechanically or indirectly and whether the current is processed by an electronic circuit or direct to coil.

Hmmm that reminds me. I might drag mine out of storage again.

I bought it around a year ago. I also got the Liquinator tank as well. The button on mine seemed to go a bit funky and became a bit of a pain in the you know what to get to work so I just went back to my eGo T.

Best have another look and see if I can fix it.

Apart from my button issues, it really is an awesome piece of kit and am glad I picked one up.

Purchased my father one of these. They are very distinguished and truly a fusion of old world craftsmanship with modern technology creating the best of both works in the art of advanced smoking through electric cigarettes.
    Brief respite in the cold world of mass produced consumerism
    Last edited by besure; 21-02-12 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron220981 View Post
    Apart from my button issues, it really is an awesome piece of kit and am glad I picked one up.
    I had exactly the same problem. After close examination it ended up being caused by me dripping into the carto to refill it, having excess juice come out the battery end, and when this juice dried up it clogged the bottom of the switch assembly.

Pulled it apart, gave it a really good clean, and now it's like new again!

Hello, had mine for quite awhile now (it's my first) and I am still loving it! It has a sort of protection from shorts. A carto I used shorted my battery and the bowl became very hot. The spring lost it's, um, springiness which made the battery lose contact with the mechanical arm before the battery blew up. As of now, I use copper coins wrapped in aluminum (but I make sure every couple of drags that the mechanical arm doesn't get too hot since I "lost" my circuit protection) - I really have to get the spring replaced.

Another problem I had is the mouthpiece. It lost its snugness to the stem and now it doesn't sit flush anymore. I use tape to add to the width of the mouthpiece but it still isn't as flush. It seems the end of the stem widened a bit. Anyone know how to reshape the wood?

BTW, aside from XL cartos I am also able to use atomizers for dripping. I change the rubber seal with something thinner so that an atomizer with drip tip can fit. For those days when I want to test out flavors

In all, aside from my fear of shorting out a carto/atty, I use my pipe non-stop. I have a VV mod, but I use it only as backup. The hit and flavor the pipe gives is much more satisfying for me.

edit: Oh, just realized this is my first ever post... been lurking since December, I don't remember if I ever posted or not Hi everyone!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by frazam View Post
    Hello, had mine for quite awhile now (it's my first) and I am still loving it! It has a sort of protection from shorts. A carto I used shorted my battery and the bowl became very hot. The spring lost it's, um, springiness which made the battery lose contact with the mechanical arm before the battery blew up. As of now, I use copper coins wrapped in aluminum (but I make sure every couple of drags that the mechanical arm doesn't get too hot since I "lost" my circuit protection) - I really have to get the spring replaced.

Another problem I had is the mouthpiece. It lost its snugness to the stem and now it doesn't sit flush anymore. I use tape to add to the width of the mouthpiece but it still isn't as flush. It seems the end of the stem widened a bit. Anyone know how to reshape the wood?

BTW, aside from XL cartos I am also able to use atomizers for dripping. I change the rubber seal with something thinner so that an atomizer with drip tip can fit. For those days when I want to test out flavors

In all, aside from my fear of shorting out a carto/atty, I use my pipe non-stop. I have a VV mod, but I use it only as backup. The hit and flavor the pipe gives is much more satisfying for me.

edit: Oh, just realized this is my first ever post... been lurking since December, I don't remember if I ever posted or not Hi everyone!
    welcome frazam, its a funny thing deciding to make your first post, i waited for months to, first time i every posted on a forum was here

AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder
    I will make sure to send Dell some additional parts like springs and button parts. All pipes have a limited lifetime warranty .If you send the pipes to me I will repair them free of charge. The only expense would be the shipping costs.

WWW.JAZZEPIPE.COM

Del
    AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by romaniac View Post
    I will make sure to send Dell some additional parts like springs and button parts. All pipes have a limited lifetime warranty .If you send the pipes to me I will repair them free of charge. The only expense would be the shipping costs.
    Thanks Romaniac that will be great to have some spares on hand

Del
    The original and the best !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast