Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By nanokatz

Thread: Geekvape Griffin Review

AVF Regular

Geekvape Griffin Review

So I got my hands on a griffin. After trying it out I decided to do a review of it and my experience so here we go.
    For reference other tanks I am using are a Subtank mini, Bellus, Cthulhu V2, and a Lemo V1; alongside various drippers.

So starting with getting with the box. It comes in a nice little plastic case in a plastic sleeve. It's well presented and securely packed which I always take note of.
    No smell or taste of machining oil was present. I feels a little light in the hand but solid at the same time. Looking at the glass it is a little thinner than I would like but not bad. The threads are smooth and easy to catch.
    In terms of looks I think it's kinda meh at least with the black. The large bell makes it look like a large lump. I also don't like the geekvape written on the topcap; I think it's just kinda out of place. But I do like the griffin logo and name that is on the bell.

On to the build. I just did a simple 2.5mm 26g 316L SS dual coil which came out at 0.39ohm. Thanks to the velocity style deck seating the coils was as easy as can be. The screws were a little stiff at first but loosened up with some screw cycles.
    Wicking was just as easy, through in some cotton; trim it to just below the ring and that was it.

Now here is when I started to have an issue...briefly. After reassembling it I was trying out the air flow ring and juice flow control. But i found them both very very hard to adjust. I couldn't move the juice without moving the whole base and air ring. I couldn't really move the air ring without moving the whole base affecting the juice control. At one point the chimney even started to unscrew. I was really confused at this point but filled it up and threw it on a mod (The fill was super easy. Close the juice flow, unscrew the cap and fill through the large open areas)
    Instantly that issue when away. With it screwed on I can move the air ring as I like and I can simply turn the tank to adjust the juice flow control.
    Went from confusion to utter delight in the time to fry a DNA30 with a reversed battery.

So it is time to vape (I filled it up with some DIY'd bronuts). Set at 450F on my VF lite. I only have one word for it....damn. This tank had the best flavour I've gotten yet. It's even better I think than some of my drippers. Not only taste though but it is a nice thick vapour that really fills your mouth. For the coil I have it's a little warm which is what I like but of course that is build dependant. Replacing the wide bore tip with a normal 510 only enhanced the flavour but it was great with the stock one. A note though is that both the wide bore and the 510 adapter are a little hard to get in and out thanks to really beefy o-rings. The airflow can be opened more than enough for a direct lung; and while it can be closed down enough for MTL I find it a little harsh but that might be build too. Juice flow is easy, just turn the tank! What I really like about this is it is really easy to see how open it is. What I don't like is there is no stop point, you can spin it all the way around all day if you want. But it's so easy to see I don't mind that much.

Then another panic moment. Leaking. Lots of leaking. Off the mod it comes and out comes the build deck. Everything looks good but then I figured out the problem...the chimney wasn't screwed all the way back down! Fixed that and no more leaking.

So overall what do I think?
    It's awesome.
    The build and wicking was super easy. Filling is even easier than the bellus thanks to the large open area rather than just two holes.
    The flavour is amazing even with it more open and remains thick and tasty.
    My only real complaint is the 3.5mL capacity but that's a trade off for the larger deck. Replacing the drip tip was also a bit of a challenge (pliers were involved) but since that's really a once off thing not a big deal.

Photos of my build:

AVF Regular
    Nice write up. Been considering this tank but in the end have decided to wait for the Smok RTA G2 (velocity style deck as well) Decision was based on the larger capacity and having already purchased spares for the TFV4 which appear to be compatible.
    Hopefully it will have as much flavour.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    thanks for the review nanokatz well done.

I got one to with the Top airflow adaptor.
    With top airflow its very airy but 0.16 ohm twisted coil at 100w (4.0v) its a clould chucker, Beats most of the RDA's i own.

Very easy to build on with the only fidgety part being eye balling the amount of cotton to cram in the channels for optimal draw/not catching on the thread rings

AVF Regular
    It is awesome its my daily use tank. Good review also!

Current Mods = Joytech Cuboid 200w , eVic-VTC Mini 75w , Istick 120W and 40w , Wismec Reuleaux RX200S
    Current Tanks = Joytech Cubis , Smok TFV4 Mini , Smok TF-RTA G2 , S-body Astral Tank , Uwell Crown , Wotofo Serpent RTA , Geekvape Griffin RTA , Geekvape Griffin 25 RTA , Geekvape Tsunami RDA , Geekvape Avocado RDTA and Velocity v2 RDA clone

currently vaping 10mg Home Brewed E-juice

Jason Richards