Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: SJMY Kayfun v5 (Clone)

AVF Regular

SJMY Kayfun v5 (Clone)

This is not going to be a full review, just a mini one with observations/first thoughts. for any more info, and build tutorials id recommend watching the nice review/tutorial from Daniel (DJLSB Vapes) here:

So last friday i ordered a SJMY Kayfun v5 from 3fvape. Note: they also carry an SXK Kayfun clone. This mini review doesnt speak for that one, someone i know got one of these and im sure will pass along their thoughts. On other forums, both are discussed, along with the Tobecco version and none have any notable downsides thus far, the only thing worth noting is that the glass wall thickness on the SXK Kayfun v5 is thicker than the SJMY, the Tobecco and authentic...so the glass from the SXK will not fit the SJMY, Tobecco or authentic, but the glass from the SJMY, Tobecco or authentic will fit the SXK....

The price delivered: AUD$37

Delivery:

3fvape ship via China EMS unless you change the option at checkout, and its the quickest anyways from memory

Tracking via a link emailed to you to a third party tracking site, but Auspost will also track it due to an agreement with China EMS.

That said, at least on this occasion, tracking was useless. My package was picked up in China last saturday, and then a few days later tracking changed when it took a couple fo days holiday on the shores of Ascension Island. that was the last tracking entry i got. No tracking from there until it arrived today and Auspost tracking marked it as Delivered and i got the email saying this. So ordering from 3fvape may not be for the delivery date panic merchant. I guessed days ago, going on my friend who bought the SXK version having hers delivered, that it would arrive today, and it did

How it arrives -

It comes in a flimsy cardboard box to be completely honest....clone cred.

Opens up by lifting the flap on the side with the white label on with barcode - seen at bottom front of pic.

Comes with the SS tank on, but until i gauge what the jfc (which i think you know i think is a pointless wank) is like - every other tank ive had that crap on ive just left it wide open - if this the same, ill put the steel tank back on...looks classy.

Comes with a baggie of spares, including orings, deck screws and the magical blue screw driver of which we all have enough by now, and which will probably outlast mankind. I havent used the blue screwdriver on the deck screws as it looks too small, ill use something i dont worry might strip the screws heads. A better option might have been a spare drip tip

Top tip for anyone thinking of getting the SJMY KF5, when you unbox it, the foam packing is in sections, i.e. theres a bottom layer of foam that is separate to the foam surrounding the gear that sits on top of it (i.e. it comes apart), so be careful when you take it out of the box, you dont want the glass tank (or the atty) hitting the floor. They wont win any awards for the packaging, but at least its better than the way the authentic comes...in two boxes like you buy spark plugs in (for THAT money?)

After a bath, it is built...

Observations:

Overall build quality -

I havent found anything in the machining to even have a niggle over. Its better made than my main squeeze, the Lemo 2. Threads are extremely well machined.

That DJLSB mentioned the authentic has slightly wonky threads, and at that price, when the clone is buttery makes me feel less guilty about buying the clone.

Build time....

Fitting a coil -

I use tc full time, so its my usual 7 wraps of 26g 316L SS on 3mm id - usually gets me around 0.6.

The kanger style coil leg trapping is a plus, its the only thing id change on my beloved Lemo 2 deck (i did beg them for this in the Lemo 3, but they went the other way and built a heretical dual coil piece of nonsense with a massive airflow trough in the middle that Lemo devotees dont want to buy - but they did put in arguably better coil leg trapping, so...). I put the leg in the channel and bent the leg around the screw (warning, at least with 26g, you cant rely on putting it in the channel, straight through and trapping it...at least on the clone, as the outward pressure form the coil forces the leg to the outside of the channel, and the screw doesnt quite reach). So down the channel and bent around the screw, and screwed down and youre good. I suppose you could "u" it back around the screw, but you'd need snips to get down there on the return channel to snip it off. Anyways, trapped the leg was. Whacked it on the TreeBox, new coil ...yes, and 0.56ohms it read. Whacked it on the Efusion DNA200 and ran atty analyser (live readings) in Escribe.....0.56 and stable as my Lemo 2...so conductivity and stability looks good so far for tc. Put the TB in watts mode, turned it down to 12w and pulsed the coil...uniform heating yay - i rarely even bother to pulse/dry burn my builds these days (in fact i havent done it in 7 months up until this point), but with a new tank i wanted to get this right and rule out this if there was an issue. One comment on the deck, id personally like it to be a bit wider, but then id probably like to see most decks a little wider - getting 7 spaced wraps in there is a bit fiddly, as i like to leave a good space between each wrap...and this is my own belief/observation, because once you fire it the outward tension or the tendency for the wire to want to spring outwards changes...the wire loses that outward tendency with heat and instead wants to collapse...hence why i like to leave a decent space between each wrap. So bigger decks, yes please for spaced coil people maybe...people stuffing in kanthal contact coils and low wrap/ohmage claptons etc probably arent going to complain. Maybe im the only one who wants slightly wider decks....

Coil centered and pulled about 3mm off the deck, same as i do on my Lemo 2

Wicking -

Cut the wick ends just outside of the base diameter. Despite after 18 months of knowing that what appears as large and easy in youtube tutorials, putting the wick into the channels was just a bit more fiddly first time out than Daniels review and build youtube video made it seem. I dont have the curved tweezers, so the bend and slot it back into the channels was a bit fiddlier. It will get easier with each build though. I made sure that the wick filled both the length and the width of the channel, and by looking at the cutaway slots on one side of the deck, i could see i got it pretty much spot on...the wick ends touching the deck uniformly, and the wick coming out of the coil flowing down nicely, i.e. no upward kink of wick above the coil. Not bad considering when i cut it just outside of the base diameter i was eyeballing, and initially thought i hadnt left enough on

Airflow control -

Im starting to think its a bit of genius in the way it works. The dots, exposed on the outside of the base once you pull the airflow ring up, on the clone at least could be easier to see. But the lift up and twist until you see the size you want via the dots and then push back down is the goodness. It will not move without user intervention. I like it, a lot.

And now we come to my bugbear and my most contentious device feature in vaping, and one i loathe, because i personally believe its a marketing bullet point, and a bit of wankery/gadgetry thats to me entirely unnecessary...

Juice flow control -

I closed it up. I filled the tank. I opened it 2 turns. I vaped. At thsi point i knew the wicking was good, i cranked it another turn. I vaped. Then i opened it all the way. I vaped.

No leaks.

Now my unflavoured mix, since moving to distilled water is like water compared to my previous mix at 50/50 or 60/40 VG/PG.

Currently it is (14mg 30ml batch):

* 2.1ml Nic (200mg/100% PG based - usually i do 12mg mixes, but moving to DW, i adjusted it up to counter the water a bit)
    * 24.9ml VG
    * 3ml Distilled Water

In percentages thats

7% Nic/PG
    83% VG
    10% Distilled Water

83% VG might sound thick, but not once the DW gets thrown into the mix. Its easily the thinnest mix ive ever run.

My point being that if if any of my tanks was going to leak, it would do it with this mix in it

JFC wide open, chain vaping...no leaks...

So im going to have a slight rant on jfc again, and then ill leave you in peace. I made this same point when i had the Merlin...jfc does effectively nothing to stop leaking, with one caveat, you have your wicking right. In less details (probably) than my rant in the Merlin thread (where i purposely badly wicked it to make my point), even in the most often fired back defence of it...at filling time, i still call bs. Because any tank with the wicking done right, a properly sealing afc, and a fill method with return pressure path, theres no need for jfc - it wont leak even during filling. I wont rehash my entire post on the fluid dynamics and physics that make my ultimate point about jfc here, except to say that Svoe Mesto made topfill pressure leaking even less likely by the chamfering of the topfill cap...so even less reason for jfc during filling. Like i said in that thread and in many threads since, jfc needs to die, its unnecessary in a well made tank, introduces an extra mechanical element/complexity, and often steals space at the bottom of a tank which could be better devoted to knurling or other tactile areas.....id much rather a tank had extra space to grip than blooming jfc, at least on this its internal...but i bet you i could as i do on my Lemo 2, leave the airflow (and in the KF5's case, jfc) open and refill it without a leak.

btw the tanks been sitting there for an hour now wide open jfc, no pool of juice on my beloved TreeBox. This thing will not leak if you get the wicking right, ruling out a manufacturing error, bad orings...
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 30-12-16 at 07:27 PM.
    gtadmin, fabricator4, lou and 6 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    The importanty bit - after the rantage:

The vape -

The vape, even using unflavoured is really good, due to the chimney and airflow its a little denser than my beloved Lemo 2. Is it as cloudy? Im no cloud chaser, but even i get pretty decent clouds out of my Lemo 2 with my normal mix. With the Kayfun 5 its hard to measure per draw, due to the restriction on it, but someone going past my window (which i vape right next to when im too lazyo go outside, and eject my vapour out of so i dont set of the fire alarm) just a little while ago said "bong on". I then had to let them down and tell them what it was, and that i dont even drink caffeinated coffee

I suspect when i get a flavoured juice in their when this tanks empty it will be very very good.

How it looks -

As expected as modelled on the mighty mighty TreeBox it looks the shiz

As compared to my Lemo 2 tank, the Kayfun v5 is 5mm taller sans drip tip on both tanks, and 2 mm taller with drip tips fitted.

Would i buy it again/buy another one? -

Going on the very limited time ive had it, and barring any unforseen drama arising...yes.

Its AUD$37, what i paid for my Lemo2 locally over a year ago. Its built well, and everything on it makes sense and works in a well thought out manner (excepting the loathed (by me) jfc...)

How does it rate against the most holy of my tanks, the Lemo? -

Not better, because the Lemo 2 has never given me a single issue, which puts it above every other tank ive bought (to the point where i think vendors are quite happy for me to not buy a lot of tanks, so many have come, and many, lets call it most, have gone back...some dead to me in hours for faults), and why i have 3 of the things, but different.

The Lemo 2 is already known to be a great flavour tank, but i suspect the Kayfun v5 may edge it out....

Link to Fasttech KF5 spares (from a user their forum): https://www.fasttech.com/forums/4984...fun-v5?2224579

Kayfun 5 Schematics:

The only reason i ummed and ahhed over buying one of these for a month was the fact they have so many damn parts, though this version has less than the originals.

Edit/Update - Cleaning - the Sequalling:

Talking of parts. After i'd put about 5 tanks through it i started to get a funky machine oil taste, so there was nothing to do but pull it right apart...one of the things that had always put me off about Kayfuns were the number of parts....

Thankfully, i had no dramas. I pulled it completely apart a little earlier...all the orings off - not missing the little one inside the topfill (Part 21)! (laid on a sheet of paper with where they came from written on it underneath each oring), and found a bit of machine oil surrounding inside the top of Part 3 (see schematic above). it was probably elsewhere but this was the most visible trace. Obviously the first wash hadnt gotten it all. Soaked the metal parts in Isocol (Isopropyl Alcohol). After an hours soak, i then scrubbed the metal parts with an old toothbrush - well its now an old one. Rinsed the metal parts in hot water. Gave the orings their own bath and rinse, not in Isocol. Reassembled slowly, making sure to be careful putting the orings back on (lubing with a bit of unflavoured juice). Rebuilt it and funky taste gone....

(i exceeded the post character limit on the first post by 758 characters, but i wasnt going to takeout my jfc rant )
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 24-09-16 at 02:39 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Ill read it when i have 4 hours available
    fabricator4, disley and zeth like this.

Big shout out to AVF and Everyone that helped me on my Journey to quit the the Death Sticks

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneo View Post
    But at least you'll be able to find it in the "Reviews" sub-forum
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneo View Post
    Jesus, the forums already reprimanded me for being wordy, now youre piling on
    fabricator4 and shaneo like this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    But at least you'll be able to find it in the "Reviews" sub-forum
    And you too lol

Are you pulling me up for

a) pretty much mini reviewing in the postman thread
    b) lazily quoting Daniels review in mine
    nicoandlaughter likes this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Jesus, the forums already reprimanded me for being wordy, now youre piling on
    Hahhaha
    Ill have what your having
    Ill will check out the review but good stuff

Big shout out to AVF and Everyone that helped me on my Journey to quit the the Death Sticks

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    And you too lol

Are you pulling me up for

a) pretty much mini reviewing in the postman thread
    b) lazily quoting Daniels review in mine

It's a good review, much easier to find here than buried in some other thread.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post

It's a good review, much easier to find here than buried in some other thread.
    Well its been a while since i bought something (and then sent it back), but i always try and use this thread

i think this might stand out even more as it may be the first thing in a while i dont send right back

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    I have 2 tobeco kayfun 5s and they're brilliant!!!!!!!
    stylemessiah likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast