Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: NicoPharm Nicotine

AVF Regular

NicoPharm Nicotine

I purchased some unflavoured nicotine from Nicopharm earlier in the year. I didn't want to do a review at the time because I thought it better not to write a nicotine review on first impressions.

At the time (May 2016) NicoPharm only had a few fruit type flavours, and in any case I wanted to see how the unflavoured would work with my DIY, so I bought 24mg/ml unflavoured. The minimum order was two bottles. When you place the order you have to affirm that you are a smoker and answer some questions otherwise they will not prescribe. There was no way to get the system to understand that you are a nicotine addicted vaper. You need a Medicare number which is only used to check your details and confirm your age.

In Queensland nicotine possession without a prescription is technically illegal (except in cigarettes and big pharma NRT). The fact NicoPharm organises a prescription as part of the purchase was the main reason I wanted to do this. (Edit to add, 22 Jan 2018. I've since found out that the Queensland Dept of Health has had nicotine added to the restricted list, meaning that doctors can not prescribe it, and they don't recognise prescriptions written by NSW or Vic doctors.)

My first impression of the bottles I got was OK. It had a little bit of colour in it, but I wasn't too concerned. It was a light straw colour. I diluted some to make 10ml of unflavoured at 10mg/ml and tried vaping it. It wasn't a great experience. The flavour was typical of bad nicotine, having what I think of as an odour of mouldy canvas. I found myself reaching for the PV, then not wanting to vape on it. It wasn't enjoyable.

I intended to do further testing with this, maybe adding some flavouring. Unfortunately we had a few family issues which involved us travelling, and what with one thing and another I never did the further testing. If I'd been happy with it the first time though, I'm sure I would have used it up in my DIY. I think the fact that I felt it would be waste of materials and my time was a contributing factor as well.

Recently I purchased an Eleaf iCare and decided to test it with the NicoPharm product straight in the tank at 24mg/ml. As you can see from the picture above it is a little darker now, even though it is still within the expiry date on the bottle.

I think I was relying on the muted flavour from the iCare to somehow make a bit of difference with this. Unfortunately that was not to be. It definitely has an unpalatable flavour, and at 24mg/ml I also found it quite peppery as well.

Conclusions
    I think if this was the absolute only way to get some nicotine I'd buy it and maybe try it with a ton of menthol or other strong flavours in it to mask the taste. For use as unflavoured e-liquid it's a fail. Both devices I tried it in, I really didn't want to vape them after a while. I can't really recommend the product if it's all the way mine was when I received it.

The fact that you get a valid prescription (I checked the Doctors prescriber number and details and it checks out) is the only reason I can recommend them (Edit: if you are in a state that will recognise it) and if you feel you need one and your GP won't write one. It was actually cheaper than a visit to the doctor for me, and none of the doctors at the medical centre I go to will write anyone a prescription for nicotine in any case. (I'm going to keep asking each and every time I have to go there though Edit: now I understand - in Queensland doctors could get in serious trouble by prescribing nicotine).

I've noticed that Nicopharm have recently increased the range of flavours that they sell, so it's also possible they have some fresher and better nicotine in the meantime as well. I note that the nicotine really is Pharmaceutical Grade, but we all know that is no guarantee of the quality with regards to flavour and vapability. Just having a "BP" on the label doesn't mean much for us.

If anyone has experience of more recent product from these guys, feel free to add your comments.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 22-01-18 at 03:29 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I meant to ask when this first came up but does the prescription have an expiry date of 12 months like standard prescriptions.
    Robray likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    I meant to ask when this first came up but does the prescription have an expiry date of 12 months like standard prescriptions.
    Well that's just the expiry of when you can get the prescription filled. But yes I would assume it comes with a built in self destruction date, no matter what NicoPharm or anyone else tells you. ( I think they imply that it does not expire, from memory).

I'm not sure what the real answer is to that one. If you have a prescription for something and get the pharmacist to fill it the day before it expires, it doesn't mean that you're not allowed to have the medication in your possession after the expiry date.

AVF Regular
    Dr S Chapman aye????

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefished View Post
    Dr S Chapman aye????
    Yeah, it's Scott Chapman I think. I sooooo want him to be a close relation to Chimpman, like his son or something...

AVF Regular
    Lol, thought this was a setup with the chumpy chimpy chipmunk on there

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefished View Post
    Lol, thought this was a setup with the chumpy chimpy chipmunk on there
    No nothing like that, but I certainly did a double take when I saw it. When I checked the prescriber number it was a Scott.

AVF Regular
    A couple passing whispy thoughts about this post in relation to pharma nicotine

1.) I noticed you said you bought this earlier in the year (May?), but the expiration date is for the November if I am reading right - it got me wondering how Nicopharm determines the expiration date of thier prducts if this is the case -

From what I am reading on places like ECF- nic on its own really doesnt have an expiration date - but the carriers like vg & pg do "2yrs for PG and 1.5-2yrs for VG"

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...n-date.179035/

This got me wondering how Nicopharm determines the expiration date of thier product? How quality control is assured (carriers like pg and vg dont alwas have an expiration date on the bottles esp if they are imported)

Also according to CCvaper (who really aught to come back cause I miss his sillyness ) the french have thier expration date set for 2 years

Does Vape Juice Expire?

Another thing that struck me in terms of expiry is the fact that storage of nicotine is a bit of a debated subject with no real consensus- so what advice are nicopharm following ?

(umm also insert passing thought here about oxidation and nic bases going off or changing colour while being stored at dispenseries etc)

The expirey date thing It feels a bit arbitrary and if shelf life of nicotine in prescribed nicotine is set to only 6 months then it appears to contradict everyones idea of how long to store pg and vg and could be seen only as a money making thing on pharmas/dispenseries behalf ...

2.) Something else that bothered me about this post was the idea that quality control could potentially be an issue in pharma sold/ grade ejuice - Im not a fan of medicalising vaping at all but lets say that in the event of the total medicalisation of eliquid in Australia (there are groups pushing for it) - A few newb or uncaring pharmasists could screw it up for many people if not given options and choices out side of medical nic

Reputations make and break quickly and if pharma stuff is not top notch straight off the bat - it may not take off in Australia if people go back to thier doctors to complain it tastes like crap...

I think there was more that bothered me - but this will do for now
    Last edited by rebelagainstthemachine; 15-10-16 at 09:36 PM.
    ybnice and flyingfox12 like this.
    “But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
    "How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
    Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comic Database: Steve Hughes... Offended?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelagainstthemachine View Post
    A couple passing whispy thoughts about this post in relation to pharma nicotine

1.) I noticed you said you bought this earlier in the year (May?), but the expiration date is for the November if I am reading right - it got me wondering how Nicopharm determines the expiration date of thier prducts if this is the case -

From what I am reading on places like ECF- nic on its own really doesnt have an expiration date - but the carriers like vg & pg do "2yrs for PG and 1.5-2yrs for VG"
    Nicotine on it's own, stored in airtight glass, sure.

As soon as you mix it with something though, all bets are off. The standard for PG on it's own is two years at 20C or something, VG is one Year.

In my experience nic in VG has a great potential to go bad in the wrong conditions. I certainly wouldn't expect nic in VG to last a year with freezing.

Air contact seems to pay a huge part in nic going bad. I left a small amount of nic in PG in a 100ml bottle and didn't realise I'd left it out. After one month it was brown and smelly.

Also according to CCvaper (who really aught to come back cause I miss his sillyness ) the french have thier expration date set for 2 years
    Agreed with the first part, but as for the 2 years: For mixed liquids that would be wildly optimistic in Australian conditions for anything with VG in it. It's the time given for PG on its own... at 20C. (daytime temperature only dropped below 20C on a few days this year).

Another thing that struck me in terms of expiry is the fact that storage of nicotine is a bit of a debated subject with no real consensus- so what advice are nicopharm following ?

(umm also insert passing thought here about oxidation and nic bases going off or changing colour while being stored at dispenseries etc)

The expirey date thing It feels a bit arbitrary and if shelf life of nicotine in prescribed nicotine is set to only 6 months then it appears to contradict everyones idea of how long to store pg and vg and could be seen only as a money making thing on pharmas/dispenseries behalf ...

2.) Something else that bothered me about this post was the idea that quality control could potentially be an issue in pharma sold/ grade ejuice - Im not a fan of medicalising vaping at all but lets say that in the event of the total medicalisation of eliquid in Australia (there are groups pushing for it) - A few newb or uncaring pharmasists could screw it up for many people if not given options and choices out side of medical nic [/quote]

I think 6 months is a reasonable time to put on it. They probably think it's conservative. It's obviously from when it was mixed, which I also think is reasonable. Pharmacists are well aware of the shelf life of reagents, and they are used to tracking quantities, batch numbers and expiry dates etc as part of good house keeping.
    You could raise the same concern over all other pharmaceutical products, and especially food.

The issue both you and I alluded to is that pharmacists don't necessarily have much idea about what vapers actually look for in an e-liquid. Namely flavour, and throat hit with the absence of that peppery/mouldy taste. I remember the first nicotine gums that came out - they were B awful - tasted foul - exactly the same peppery/mouldy taste. If pharmacists are not smokers or vapers, then they won't actually test the goods either, so how would they know until people start kicking up a fuss.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I did fill out all the forms but didn't go through with the order. I noticed that I wasn't even able to state that I had tried nrt in the past, obviously that was the wrong answer ha!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast