Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree298Likes

Thread: Hiliq NTN (synthetic nicotine)

AVF Regular

Hiliq NTN (synthetic nicotine)

This review is about a sample of non-tobacco nicotine sent to me by Ryan at Hiliq. It was included with my order on the offer of "buy a litre, get a free NTN sample". I'm posting this here after checking with the Fatman that it's OK to do so as long as I "don't include any links".

The product that Hiliq are calling NTN (non-tobacco nicotine) I believe is essentially a synthetic nicotine product. It is usually far more expensive to manufacture than nicotine derived from tobacco.

Since first writing this review NTN has gone live on the Hiliq site. You can buy 100ml of NTN for US$50 while 1 litre will cost you US$300. That's manageable, but shame about the exchange rate. Use the code "HILIQAussie" to get a discount of 15% which is very helpful if you are buying a litre. If you get the 15% discount on a litre and add shipping it comes out to less than AU$0.22 per ml. To put this in perspective: in 2013 many people were getting their (ordinary) nicotine from the US at the cost of over AU$1 per ml.

This is an image of the actual sample that I got before I opened it. It is 100mg/ml in 100% PG. As you can see the colour is extremely clear. This would be expected in such a small sample as good nicotine needs to be seen in a large sample to gauge any colour if it is fresh.

On opening the bottle I had a first sniff. I was able to detect a very slight chemical smell but it was faint and was not unpleasant. I was surprised to note it smelt exactly like regular nicotine, just not as strong. (not sure what else I was expecting, really).

After the bottle had aired for a minute or two, even this slight smell faded a bit.

The nicotine I am comparing the NTN to is the 100mg/ml nicotine I got in VG in the same order, since their age and handling during transport are identical. It was in transit for six days (shipped Saturday, received Friday 4th Nov). The nicotine in VG was also extremely clear even in the larger quantity - I've since moved some to a 250ml clear glass bottle and was able to evaluate it closely. The smell of this tobacco based nicotine was also the typical chemical smell of nicotine but was slightly stronger, but by no means overpowering or bad. For reasons of brevity I will refer to the two samples I mixed as "NTN" and "100VG" for their respective sources.

Methodology
    5ml samples were mixed of both the NTN and 100VG in identical mixes - 60/40 PG/VG and 12mg/ml. I don't normally use this concentration on an RDA but thought it would be more practical for a test of the nicotine. Samples were mixed in a 10ml vial on an electronic stir plate. This was the first big surprise for me: While the 100VG sample still had a detectable odour even though it was very slight, I could not detect any nicotine or chemical odour from the NTN mix. Dilution to this level seems to have taken it below my threshold for being able to smell it.

Testing was done on a production RDA with dual spaced coils, total resistance 0.39 ohms, at 40 watts (lowish for this RDA). The wicking material was Rayon, and unflavoured PG was vaped first to ensure neutral flavour. Vaping just unflavoured PG I'd describe as just a little bit sweet. Both samples were evaluated for the same subjective characteristics of taste smell and throat hit.

The Results

Point of evaluation
    100VG 12mg/ml
    NTN 12mg/ml
    Smell
    Very slight. Chemical I wasn't able to detect anything
    Taste on inhale
    Sweet. PG/VG Sweet. PG/VG
    Throat hit
    Distinct. Scratchy(slight). Back of the throat Distinct. Smooth. Deep in the throat
    Taste on finish
    PG/VG Nothing to speak of. Slightly sweet
    Nose exhale
    Very slightly chemical Not much. PG/VG

Conclusions
    This was really hard to judge because the quality of the normal nicotine I got from Hiliq this time was quite excellent. The smell of the mixed 100vG was detectable but by no means objectionable. When vaping it only a very slight chemical nose was detectable, and it left no lingering off tastes. I'd be quite happy with it if I normally vaped unflavoured liquid. The smell and taste of the PG and VG was by far the most characteristic notes.

The NTN mix surpassed this however. In three tests I was not able to detect *anything* but PG and VG at this concentration. My nose is about average for sensitivity so it's possible that those with a more sensitive nose or stronger concentrations would be able to detect something, but I could not.

I tried many times over the course of the day to detect nicotine in the NTN liquid but could not based on taste or nose. I was unable to do a double blind test unfortunately, but if I did I think I would be able to tell the difference between the two samples based on throat hit alone. This was the biggest surprise to me. The NTN sample definitely gave a smoother throat hit, and it was deeper in the oesophagus rather than at the back of the throat as it was for the 100VG
    Last edited by fabricator4; 14-12-16 at 10:01 PM.
    Flea, Noe, gtadmin and 17 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Great review fab, thanks for taking the time.

Do you have a "Nic hit" comparison? Did they satisfy Nic cravings equally?
    Fatman, fabricator4 and RyanohRyan like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie9300 View Post
    Great review fab, thanks for taking the time.

Well, a bit hard. I've been bordering on over nic'd all day, testing 12mg/ml on an RDA LOL

While the standard nicotine gave me the usual warnings of overdose (nausea) the NTN sample was a little bit different. It seemed a bit sneaky and I was trying to be cautious. I've still got 2ml of the mixed NTN sample left (I really was enjoying it actually) so I'm going to give vaping a rest until after I've made tea and eaten it, then push the boundary with just the NTN. If I've got anything to add then I'll do so.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 06-11-16 at 07:29 PM.

AVF Regular
    That was interesting Fab. Thanks. Id be curious how it stacks up price wise to conventional nic. Ill be watching this one.
    fabricator4 and RyanohRyan like this.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Be sure to let us know if you start glowing in the dark

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie9300 View Post
    OK, been using the NTN for nearly four hours now. I really notice very little difference between regular nicotine and this. I still find it satisfying.

Maybe (just maybe) the nicotine buzz is a little bit different, and overdose symptoms are may just a little bit more subtle. This could just be a perception thing because the throat hit is different too.

I think I'm missing my flavours more than anything else at the moment.
    laurie9300, RyanohRyan and Cat like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
    That was interesting Fab. Thanks. Id be curious how it stacks up price wise to conventional nic. Ill be watching this one.
    I think it's going to be a lot more expensive. Ryan hasn't got back to me yet on this.

I have a friend who is PG sensitive, but also has trouble with the VG only vapes, and unflavoured juice. I'm going to suggest he tries NTN and see if it make a difference for him. He doesn't seem to have a problem smoking, or with gum.
    RyanohRyan likes this.

AVF Regular
    Ryan said roughly same price as pure nic (not 100mg but 1000mg)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Id be interested to give it a go as a primarily unflavoured vapist, seems unthinkable Ryan wouldnt be chomping at the bit to sign me (worlds most reserved and easy to please customer/reviewer) up as a guinea pig

Maybe when theres another special on ill grab some

For sure its wasted on Fab, with his whiny "its too much at 12mg in my RDA". Some of us subohm 14mg all damn day long. Take the sissypants off ....
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 07-11-16 at 12:01 AM.
    Noe, DogMan, disley and 2 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale)

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Id be interested to give it a go as a primairly unflavoured vapist, seems unthinkable Ryan wouldnt be chomping at the bit to sign me (worlds most reserved and easy to please customer/reviewer) up as a guinea pig

Maybe when theres another special on ill grab some

For sure its wasted on Fab, with his whining its too much at 12mg in my RDA. Some of us subohm 14mg all damn day long. Take the sissypants off ....
    40mg at 0.2 ohm is my ADV

60 or 85 mg to kill strong cravings

TDN from hiliq is like acetone at that strength, so i use nude nic now... but this might get me over to china
    stylemessiah likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast