Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Reo Grand from www.reosmods.com

Reo Grand from www.reosmods.com

I've had this device for a few days now and thought I'd do a write up on it just to share my experiences so far. It is of course a very well-known device with a proven track record and it has quite a loyal and enthusiastic fanbase.

It took a little while in my vaping journey to acquire an interest in juice feeders, also known as bottom feeders since the way the device gets juice to the atomizer is by injecting it from underneath. This lets you store a fair quantity of juice in the device and puts you in control of how much goes into the atty. My first kit used regular atomizers with a filler cartridge system that had to be topped up quite frequently, didn't perform all that well and was a little messy. The bother of filling and maintaining those carts drove me to direct dripping and cartomizers. I didn't mind the performance of some of the cartos at all but they too needed fairly regular refilling. Even though that was pretty easy and far preferable to the original cartridges that came with my eGo mega kit, it was still somewhat of a bother. I found it less fuss overall to just direct drip and the discovered the flavour was indeed much better. (after my sense of taste returned more fully, that is, haaa) Even though I liked and was fairly satisfied with dripping, as everyone knows it's not always practical in various situations. I eventually realized one could get the taste and performance of dripping with the convenience of a carto & tank type setup by using a juice feeder. Thus began the quest!

I did some reading around the 'net about juice feeders, trawled through the various forums reading about issues that various models had and watching plenty of review videos. While many other juice feeders look like fine and functional units, they were either not attractive to me for aesthetic reasons or I didn't like the way they functioned. One example of that is the Boge Revolution which has no feed tube in the bottle and requires you to invert the device to feed the atomizer. It's also plastic and could be susceptible to damage if dropped or sat on, etc. Now you can't read about juice feeder mods on the 'net without at least hearing of the Reo mods, not going to happen. They're very popular and it's not hard to understand why now that I have one.

It doesn't come in a fancy gift box, so if you like that sort of thing you might be a little disappointed. It does however come very securely wrapped in bubble wrap inside a mailer box and includes an extra juice bottle, a small ziploc bag of noalox for the firing pin, a tiny little tube I had no idea what was for right away (more on that later) and of course the Reo Grand mod itself. You get a photocopy sheet of basic instructions and etc. because this is a very straightforward mechanical mod. It's milled from a solid block of aluminium and has quite a nice heft to it. It's really solid, I'm fairly certain it would easily survive being run over by a truck. You might lose an atomizer and drip tip or at worst the door, but those things are easily replaced. The maker also has a repair option available, which I found quite encouraging. The man stands behind his products! There are no electronics or wires, the only moving parts are the button and the firing pin, which is basically a durable looking spring that is attached to the positive terminal of the atty connector. Pushing the button down nudges the firing pin into contact with the positive battery terminal while the negative connection to the atomizer is the body of the mod itself. This is an incredibly simple design and there really isn't much that can possibly go wrong. The worst thing that could happen is if the atomizer was shorted out, the spring might collapse. Spare springs are readily available from the maker's website as well as spare bottles and doors.

I had a brand new atomizer ready to go for this and the last of my favourite juice, enough for a bottle full. It took about 2 minutes literally to unwrap it, fill the bottle, insert a fresh battery and just like that it was going. Feeding the atomizer is pretty straightforward, the bottle has a feed tube inside that reaches down to the bottom of the bottle, so there's no need to flip it upside down. Give the bottle one firm squeeze and you'll see a little bit of juice in the well around the atomizer, draw on it one time without firing it to pull the juice up into the atty and start puffing away. It doesn't get much more simple than this! If you squeeze a bit too hard the juice well can get kind of full, if you shoved it in your pocket a little bit could dribble out on you but it doesn't take much practice at all to avoid doing. The button isn't clicky but is nice and smooth and fires easily. You can twist it to the right to lock it and then it can't be pressed down to fire, but I haven't really felt the need to lock it yet, the way it sits in my pocket would never press that button down on me, but it's nice the option is there for safety's sake. If it did somehow get pressed in a pocket, the lack of electronic cutoffs could lead to a popped atomizer. I've read that with some thin juices, they can "auto-feed" when you draw on the atomizer which leads to a perpetually flooded condition and less satisfying hits when the coils are drowning. You can use the little tiny little tube I mentioned before that came with it which is called appropriately enough a reducer tube. Installed into the end of the feed tube inside the juice bottle, it will prevent that from happening. Very clever, it wouldn't have occurred to me that could happen.

I love how solid it is, how clean the design is, how easy it is to use and how well it fits in my pocket even with an atomizer attached. It's easy to see how much juice is left and when the hits start getting weak that's your clue the battery needs charging. Happiness is a freshly charged battery with a LR atomizer! :-)

The only fault I could really give it is that it might not be the best mod to use while reclining, lest excess juice dribble out when tipped too far to the side. I generally tend to "blind squonk" which is to squeeze the bottle while drawing on the atty, you get a lot less juice in the well that way and can tell when you've squeeze enough much easier, so that is less of an issue to me already.

I've learned that you can use a Kick module in them but on some of the anodized models you will need to sand a spot inside to expose the metal for the ground spring on the kick to contact and operate. I'm seriously thinking about getting a Kick and a couple of AW 18490 IMR batteries if I can ever see one in stock! Variable power for a Reo Grand would be pretty awesome. There is a VV version of the Reo Grand coming soon but I don't know when.

If you want a mod that is nearly indestructible, easy to use and are interested in juice feeders then I'd highly recommend you give a Reo mod a look. I chose the Reo Grand since I already have the 18650 batteries it uses but there are other varieties on the website in different woods and sizes, when you can actually catch any in stock that is! They sell out fast.

Thanks for reading and if you're interested in a Reo mod I hope you found it useful or encouraging!
    Chrisso, CCC, eTama and 3 others like this.

Owned 2 Reo Mini's. 1 Reo Grand, 1 Reo Woodvil. Tough and reliable, never had an issue with any of them. With all mecanical mods you need to give them a good clean and noalox each fortnight, but other than that they last. Box mods and bottom feeders, aren't for everyone but if you want a 3.7v bottom feeder you cant get better than a Reo.
    zainwolf, CCC and eTama like this.

People do tend to get collections of Reos once they start. I'm more than happy with the one I have I think, the next mod I score will have to be a Silver Bullet and then I'll start saving up for a ProVari. :-)

Always appreciate your reviews zain you're a champ.

Could we possibly get a quick follow up in a few weeks time? Being a dripper, I like the idea of making things a bit easier for myself...and if a fellow dripper can go bottom feed and be perfectly happy with it I'll probably grab one.

Quote Originally Posted by zainwolf View Post
    People do tend to get collections of Reos once they start. I'm more than happy with the one I have I think, the next mod I score will have to be a Silver Bullet and then I'll start saving up for a ProVari. :-)
    I should say I only have 1 Reo 18490 Woody left in my collection, as I love to buy mods, so apart from the Reo woody which i use alot, I also have a Provari, GLV2 super mini, GLV2 5v, precise 16340, and a Katana on the way and VVPV off for repair, as the GF has told me I can only have 6 mods at a time. I have 7 but nobody's perfect lol, I just couldn't cope with selling any more lol (sold off about 8 mods in the last 6 months as it is)

Chrisso - I pretty much drip/bottom feed/top feed 95% of the time. The Reo's are good, but with the tube that goes all the way to the bottom of the bottle, it does take a while to master the "squonk". "Tip and shoot" bottom feed systems, like the Phids or Redskymods are a little bit more precise, but a little bit less convenient to use. Top feed box mods are the best of the lot, but you have the messy looking tube up to your atty. So there is pro's and cons with all feed system, all though are still a good experience.

With the Reo's its not that it overflows , because it has a catch cup, but you can flood them. But I used my Reo's in the past alot and with some practice they are good, and you learn how to squonk just right, and how to draw the juice up through the bottom of the atomiser, just right with time - but in the big scheme of things its still a good dripping experience. Still often at home/out 60% of the time I still drip as I like the routine of it.

Bottom feeders are convenient, particularly out and about, and still a good "dripping" experience but hasn't replaced dripping for me 100%. But I dont really like carto's or tanks, so put them a few steps bellow bottom feeders and dripping.
    Last edited by Mickg33; 09-03-12 at 02:54 PM.
    Chrisso likes this.

If I wasn't in the process of giving up vaping.. I'd probably get myself a Reo Mini.. I had a Wetbox for a while, till I broke it, and I really liked the idea of bottom feeding the carto/atty. The problem I had with it back then was that I was constantly changing flavours, which made it a chore with such a device.. but these days I stay on a single flavour fairly steadily.. so it would be ideal.
    To view my e-cig reviews and videos visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/light487

Thanks Mick! Just the info I was looking for. They sound awesome.

I was actually pretty impressed with how easy it is to change flavours. I'm no purist for swapping over so I pretty much just blow out the atty, blow out and wipe off the feed tube and stick the spare bottle on full of new juice and get to vaping, takes about 1.5 minutes really. :-) Old flavour doesn't linger long at all but for me I vape mostly tobaccos so a little mingling is never a problem.

Every bit as good hits as dripping with the same atty!

I'm one of the ones who never really wanted to quit despite having tried many times, I just had no choice with the ever-increasing taxes on them. I certainly can't imagine giving up vaping since it pretty much excludes all of the negatives about smoking. :-) I do like that I can have much less nicotine now and still be happy. Tailor-made cigarettes give you way too much to keep you hooked forever.
    Last edited by zainwolf; 10-03-12 at 06:44 PM.

I just bought a Rio Grand from Rob at riosmods. Now the usual shipping wait starts.
    I'm hoping for good things.
    Got the RM2 rebuild able as well, along with a bunch of spares and building gear.
    I've gone in the deep end.
    Fingers crossed.

J.

I've had a love/hate/throw at the wall/love relationship with my Reo Mini.
    I've finally got it sorted to deliver reliable operation, and when it's good it's very very good.

My smallest commercial box mod, and as robust as a pineappley truck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast