Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: NFE Toolbox and Arctic Fox firmware.

AVF Regular

NFE Toolbox and Arctic Fox firmware.

Not a product actually, just something that works with some products.

NFE Team

I stumbled across these two yesterday while looking for some pointers on adjusting the settings on my eleaf Pico to try and make it work better than it was, which was ok but not great.

The problem I had was in TC mode on a stainless steel coil, it would work, but seemed to 'bash' into the limit, then stop, then bash again, repeat, repeat. So it worked, but the end result was turning what should be a nice vape into something that was good-too hot-ok-good and basically, the 'too hot' part smeared itself into the 'good' and made the whole thing 'meh'. Giving up on TC and switching to wattage mode I got mostly the results I was after, so long as I kept the draw time relatively short. More than a few seconds, it would become too warm and not nice. Setting a lower power, anaemic. The sweet spot was one I couldn't nail down. It needed to get that coil hot enough to work, but not too hot and I couldn't get that 'hot enough' without blowing into 'too hot'.

So there had to be a nice middle ground in there, so I went looking for some pointers to see if I could work up my own settings in the user defined profiles in the Pico. While looking I found these two, and they looked promising.

I have the Pico, but I also have an eleaf iPower 80W, and this combination of tools also work with that one.

I'll tell you up front, I don't have that much experience with these bits of software having only been using it for a single day and there may be problems and troubles I can't identify. But the short version is 'the setting' I was chasing I managed to get in under 10 minutes from downloading them, one that many hours of fiddling and playing and searching couldn't manage to get close to on the standard 'as supplied' device firmware allowed, as well as the 'updated' firmware for these two devices.

Arctic Fox is the firmware you put onto the device, which controls how the device does it's job. It's easy to do, and the toolbox has the 'tool' to allow you to install this firmware onto the device. You can't try any of this without the firmware installed.

The real game changer for me is the toolbox, which allows you to finely adjust the settings on the device through the computer, as well as monitor what the device is doing while it does it (if you wish) and adjust all manner of things that you may or may not wish to adjust. Some of the things you can do I don't even try and understand, but they're there if you want to use them. As the blurb on the site says, it gives the devices it works with the functionality and adjustment of DNA devices.

You may lose some of the handy points of the standard firmware, like automatic resistance setting. Maybe it's in Arctic Fox already, but I haven't found it. No mind, it works better and more reliably anyway.

I think that if you use relatively low power coils, this might not be of much help. If you use very high power coils, then you might not have much use for it either, but that middle range where what the device/mod has to actually do something more than simply provide a trickle or a flood, then it makes a huge difference.

As mentioned, the standard firmware seemed to 'bash' into it's limits, whereas Arctic Fox will gently nudge into the limit, back off a little and 'caress' the temp setting. It's going over the set temperature (because it tells me on the screen) but not by much, and I can't sense that it's going over. The 'bash' was abrupt in both taste and sound (crackle-stop-crackle). I've also now got the ability to set how much power I send to the coil in TC mode, how the power gets to the coil, etc, etc. None of this was available in the standard TC setting of the Pico, and only a rudimentary 'power' setting on the iPower in TC mode.

It's also a lot more stable, in that occasionally these mods would get a bad resistance reading, use that and either burn or become anaemic. I did not lock the resistance into the device to stop that happening, if only because 'locking' the resistance was not a simple thing to do. The Pico has 3 buttons, there's a practical limit to how many times you can press those buttons to get at different settings and adjustments. And even then, Arctic Fox lets you get at a lot more of them easily if you wish to do so giving you a scrolling menu of adjustments so you can adjust in the field away from a computer.

There is a learning curve to it no doubt, and if you're happy with what you've got and it's working well, then don't bother with these as you could make a mess of it all quite easily. I think the toolbox will allow you to re-install the original firmware but I haven't tried because there's no way I'm going back.

Also know this will undoubtedly void any and all warranties and while I've not managed to notice any problems, there may be some that occur so use at your own risk. I think that similar to these kinds of not OEM firmware, any glitches are usually limited to functionality and 'not working' rather something dangerous.

Anyway, I am very impressed and very pleased to have both devices working far better than they ever have before, but sad because I don't have to hunt down something better to see what I'm missing.

Just to be clear, I think it's very possible and likely that with all the possible adjustments we have available to us with liquid ingredients and composition, coil resistance and wicking material, atomiser design and all the rest of it, it's completely possible to get something that works, all the time, with nothing more than a battery and a switch. But doing that takes time and experimentation and money to find that sweet spot unless you luck into it. What these two pieces of software allow is to fine tune that last piece of the puzzle, and do it easily for not much money on devices that are common and not expensive. It does not magically make a cheap device into something incredible, only allows the cheap device to work as well as it's able to do so.

And no, I'm not being paid for this at all and didn't even pay for the stuff. Not yet anyway. I might slip them some cash if only because of how well it all works and because I'll be using it every day.

Stu.
    Noe, gtadmin, fabricator4 and 6 others like this.

AVF Regular
    That is crazy stuff. It works on the VTC mini. Why the hell didn't Joyetech make something like this? I figured someone would do it eventually...

I got it running on a virtual machine and configured it for basic SS temp control with a TCR of 92 and a temperature of 220C

It seems to work great, but the up/down buttons change the preheat punch, not the temperature. WTH? Did I miss something?

ETA: Oh, you need to select "temperature dominant" at the bottom, then the buttons control temperature. :-)

**This program is HIGHLY recommended. You can plug in the correct resistance and then lock it, so it won't matter what the ambient temperature is or if you are swapping atties between devices, as long as you pick the right profile.

It also lets you put the clock up on the VTC mini. I'm just trying to figure out how to turn DST off LOL
    Last edited by fabricator4; 06-02-17 at 03:15 PM.
    Schtoo and emu like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Crazy...

gtadmin and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    You may lose some of the handy points of the standard firmware, like automatic resistance setting. Maybe it's in Arctic Fox already, but I haven't found it.
    It is. If you change atties it asks the new/old question and gives the new/old resistances too. Nice.

I think that if you use relatively low power coils, this might not be of much help. If you use very high power coils, then you might not have much use for it either, but that middle range where what the device/mod has to actually do something more than simply provide a trickle or a flood, then it makes a huge difference.
    I think it's good for everyone. Being able to fine tune your vape and see things like battery sag in real time is incredibly helpful for setting up and understanding what is happening.

The Pi-Reg control for TC is excellent too. Make the way it regulates temperature much smoother, especially if you want to run it a little on the cool side. I haven't really had a play with the Pi-reg parameters yet, it's working great with the defaults.

Solved the problem with DST - because it's a virtual machine I hadn't configured the clock properly. DST had to be turned off *before* I started the NFE configuration program. It must pass clock information to the programme only when it's first started.
    Cat and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    OMG, I switched from the NarDA to a Subtank and it automatically changed profiles.

... In Geek Heaven...

For this to happen It's necessary to have the profile locked in obviously. I've set up three profiles and locked the resistances - I'm not sure how important that last bit is - I think it compares the resistance of the new atty to the ones it's got in all the profiles. :-)
    Last edited by fabricator4; 06-02-17 at 05:04 PM.
    Noe, Cat and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    I think Fab might have lost his little Westie mind...

Been busy working most of today, so not much playing but I'll have more of a fiddle later on in the week when some new bits show up.

I do know that any plan I had for considering another mod have been somewhat shelved, and anything I consider in the future must have this kind of functionality available to it, be it OEM or something I stick on it. It gives a new lease on life to some mods as well, which is nice.

Stu.
    fabricator4 and Cat like this.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Thanks you two just downloaded NFE And Arctic Fox. Time to play..!
    emu's pre-loved mowers.com

Cat
    AVF Regular
    Thanks Schtoo I've written it down for future reference.
    emu likes this.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    Just to add, when charging the iPower (internal battery) it's giving a blinking battery, % of charge (96), battery voltage (4.09v) and apparently board temp (28C). Still works as normal when charging as well.

Seems like, if those readings are moderately accurate, it's able to take care of the battery when charging or at least monitor it. If it has control of that circuit as well then it seems like it's going to take very good care of the battery as well. An added plus.

Also, according to what I've been reading, this is a fairly new thing which is why it's only just been 'found'. Only a matter of time before one of the makers tacks this on as their default OEM firmware methinks.

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Thanks Schtoo I've written it down for future reference.
    It seems to work with all or most of the Joyetech family that can have new firmware uploaded to them - so Joyetech, Wismec, Eleaf...

I've heard people say they love their Wismecs, but they'd like some of the configurability of the DNA in them. This looks like it. I haven't played with the shunt resistance yet - that's another level of fine tuning. Might see if there's any advice on that one out there. I think it's to fine tune the programme for the resistance of the mod, but it seems to work in %, so maybe not...
    Cat likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast