Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: New stuff, reviewed? Ammit, Melo III, iJust 2, ECL and ceramic coils. Rayon!

AVF Regular

New stuff, reviewed? Ammit, Melo III, iJust 2, ECL and ceramic coils. Rayon!

Got a delivery of a few things in the last few days, and now it's all 'used' so here goes.

First the Geekvape Ammit. Looks nice, compact but needs too much cleaning when new and some bits were fused together. Once that's sorted though it's easy to build to (with it's own quirks) coil wise, wicking is a bit of a pain but doable. I'm coming off a Bachelor Nano to compare it to, which is pretty much the same idea with the RTA and a Toptank Mini, and the Ammit is easier to coil than both, middle to wick compared to the Bachelor pain coil/easy wick and the Toptank middle coil/painful wick.

That said, I've been using the Bachelor over the Toptank most of late as it's a better vape (flavour) and the wicking is so easy to do along with dead easy refilling. The caveat is that unless it's sitting upright and untouched, it'll leak. The con of dead easy filling. So far the Ammit is fine for refilling (no better/worse than the Toptank), recoiled and wicked once (bad build to start, impatient me!) and works really well. Airflow is for me more than adequate and the adjustment is meaningful unlike the Toptank and Bachelor which are wide open or fully closed and not much inbetween. I don't know how the Ammit does it, but each of the 4 clicks in the airflow actually do something which is great.

Pros, easy to build and put together and coil maintenance while the tank is still laden is possible (but don't let the tank tip over!). Airflow control is excellent, looks sleek and stylish without being blingy. Price was good.

Cons, the cleaning from new. Juice holes are still open when you pull the bottom/coil out of the tank (Bachelor closes off automatically) and that's about it. A little noisy when MTL.

This one will, if it proves to not leak ever, will be a take anywhere jobby. Great vape and works very well.

Melo III also came, and how good is this thing? If you ever buy a Pico and don't get the Melo III on top of it as a package deal, you're mad (like me!). Works well, airflow control is excellent, easy to fill (big burly top cap) so long as you have a needle tip to fill with (tiny little fill section/pocket). Looks good, cheap and uses Nautilus type coils, but doesn't need the top threads. Coil servicing is possible while it's filled so long as it's not completely filled up and don't let the tank tip if you do that. Can get a little warm on the bottom if you chain vape though. Good enough I might grab another one if I can and just leave it as stock. Simple and effective. Boring too, which is sometimes all you want. Another take anywhere tank for those who don't want to build coils and wicks, just replace the coil/wick as a unit.

Pros, it simply works. Not much in the way of bells, whistles or bling (which I like) and shows zero signs or chance of leaking.

Cons, wish I'd got one sooner.

The iJust 2 is one I picked up after using Wick and Wire's test tanks. They use these because they just work, and they do. Not attractive, not easy to fill but coil maintenance on a filled tank is possible because you pull the bottom off this one, exposing the coil when you fill. While top filling is nice and convenient, bottom filling isn't a bad thing if you get a look at the coil while you fill. These things are dirt cheap, use Nautilus type coils and if you need a backup that just works, grab one. Grab a few. Not going to set the world on fire, but they work. Strictly MTL though as there's no real airflow control, except for a cheezy afterthough silicon sleeve. Airflow is healthy, if a little noisy.

Pros, as for Melo III, as this is probably the predecessor for that one. Cheap!

Cons, no real air control possible. Looks as retro as this stuff can get.

To go with the Melo and iJust I got some eleaf coils, 0.5 ohm stainless ceramic and 0.18 ohm kanthal ECL coils.

The ECL coils are in the iJust and just work (funny how that name also 'just' works...). No leaking to speak of, plenty of flow on high VG liquid. No dry hits, running it at about 35W but it can obviously take a lot more if you're up to it. My little 40W thingy takes it's time getting up to temperature though, so maybe keep these for those mods that can deliver a decent punch. Flavour is good, no complaints at all.

The Melo has the 0.5ohm ceramic coil in it. No leaks, stable resistance and very predictable vaping without any noticeable flavour affects from the ceramic. Looks like a relatively coarse AlOx with a binder. Flows plenty with a 50/50 juice, but the coil does take longer to get up to temperature I expect because the ceramic also needs to heat up somewhat. Quite impressed with them actually, but longevity we shall see. It might be possible to 'burn' these clean with a torch so that's something to try in the future.

And rayon wicks! Grabbed a box of Silcot cosmetic pads to try them out as I'd heard rayon was a good thing to have but I don't have any way to get any here, or so I thought. Anyway these are the same size as the regular cotton pads most folks know about (Muji, Puff, etc.) but are rayon, not cotton. Kind of like a very fine grade scotchbrite but soft and folded as supplied so easy to split into thin sheets. Easy to cut with decent scissors, easy to roll up as well. No break in like cotton, but I am finding they're not staying as clean as I'd been led to believe. Maybe that's the juice I'm shoving through it which gunks up cotton in a few days anyway. But they're holding up fine being used in the Bachelor and Ammit and flowing very, very well with no leakage at all.

At the price, if I have to replace the wick every day it's still nothing. Cost me about $2 for a box of 40, plus maybe 10 cents for fuel to go buy them. Maybe not worth the effort to order, but if you can get some without ordering them then worthwhile.

(Might have to send out some boxes to see if they're any good. If I can work out how to pack them up I'll do just that. As it is, they're a pain size to ship out. Wide, flat box and no weight. Envelope maybe? Thinking out loud because I want a second opinion on these things and because I don't often ship out such flimsy, simple and kill proof stuff. Ask me to ship a brick and I can do that easily. Ship out a box of angel farts and I'm struggling...)

So that's what's new here. Maybe not news to anyone, but as I live on the cheap end of the vaping scale maybe this end of the market needs some extra love? Maybe not. I'm just glad that for once an order was all killer, no filler.

Stu.
    Noe, Stomp, Hyper and 4 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Nice reviews. The melo III leaked like sieve for me. Funny how different people have different experiences. This was with both stock coils and the RBA. I've got to rebuild the RBA and see if I can improve on the factory build. The flavour is excellent, but my motivation to do the build is low. I don't like juice on my mods. I run 60/40 PG/VG and I'm wondering if the juice is too thin (!) for the factory stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post

And rayon wicks! Grabbed a box of Silcot cosmetic pads to try them out as I'd heard rayon was a good thing to have but I don't have any way to get any here, or so I thought. Anyway these are the same size as the regular cotton pads most folks know about (Muji, Puff, etc.) but are rayon, not cotton. Kind of like a very fine grade scotchbrite but soft and folded as supplied so easy to split into thin sheets. Easy to cut with decent scissors, easy to roll up as well. No break in like cotton, but I am finding they're not staying as clean as I'd been led to believe. Maybe that's the juice I'm shoving through it which gunks up cotton in a few days anyway. But they're holding up fine being used in the Bachelor and Ammit and flowing very, very well with no leakage at all.

At the price, if I have to replace the wick every day it's still nothing. Cost me about $2 for a box of 40, plus maybe 10 cents for fuel to go buy them. Maybe not worth the effort to order, but if you can get some without ordering them then worthwhile.

(Might have to send out some boxes to see if they're any good. If I can work out how to pack them up I'll do just that. As it is, they're a pain size to ship out. Wide, flat box and no weight. Envelope maybe? Thinking out loud because I want a second opinion on these things and because I don't often ship out such flimsy, simple and kill proof stuff. Ask me to ship a brick and I can do that easily. Ship out a box of angel farts and I'm struggling...)

So that's what's new here. Maybe not news to anyone, but as I live on the cheap end of the vaping scale maybe this end of the market needs some extra love? Maybe not. I'm just glad that for once an order was all killer, no filler.

Stu.
    The zero run in time with Rayon is pretty typical, but lasting less than cotton definitely is not. Someone sent me some cotton bacon to try so I've been giving that a go just to see. After about a week in the Subtank RBA it started tasting like a wet sock so I ditched it and rewicked with Rayon. I then tried the cotton in the NarDA. I found it was not a tolerant to the heat as Rayon and it was tasting burnt after only a week, so that is gone now too. I generally find the opposite to your experience - Rayon usually lasts me twice as long as cotton, and even if the coil gunks up a bit, the Rayon is mostly pretty clean.

I'll put my hand up to try the Rayon pads. The KU stuff has been crimped and compressed and needs a bit of work to get a decent wick. It would be nice if there was something that could be just cut rolled and wicked. The least amount of handling is better for the wick IMO, because it will minimise contamination from your hands.
    Noe and Cat like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Fab, PM me an address. No money, it's not like this stuff is expensive to buy or ship. Maybe $5 which I can put forward as 'thanks' to this place. PIF, whatever.

In that particular build I'm using a really gunky (but lovely) juice (Steamery lemon tart) and it'd dull cotton wicks in a tank or so, and they come out 'singed'. The rayon (which is looser packed, but still no leaks) lasts through a tank easy, but it's still getting gunked up. Partly the liquid, partly because the coil in there is 24G 316 on TC and I'm not being nice to it. It's not so much 'burning' as it is 'heat oxidised juice' I think. Burning off the coil gives off cinders to give you some idea. That's in the bachelor though which does tend to get warm if chain-vaping so it might be a case of heat soak getting to it as well prolonging how long the juice is at higher temperature.

When it's singing though, wow.

The Melo, maybe it's the ceramic coil. I've gone through 2 tanks on that now (with a clean liquid) and it's not done a damn thing but work. It'll end up being that one set up that when it's all gone to chit, you use it because it never fails to deliver, at least for me. On that one, I'm not going to bother rebuilding, just keep feeding it OEM coils.

The Ammit has rayon in it now with a not gunky liquid, and after a full tank the wick looks like new, even though the TC is tending to switch off. I dunno what it is, but this and the Avocado both tend to be flaky for TC. They'll fire up fine, but then the resistance sways and the mod decides "new tank" and switches to wattage mode. Still, after a few hot shots no dry hits and that wick is as fresh as a daisy.

Stu.

AVF Regular
    good review Stu, helpful for a newbie like me, Ive been interested in getting one of these Melo 3 tanks you mentioned a pico? whats that so I can go in search of it. wanting to get another mod/tank combo
    tia!
    just me

AVF Regular
    Fab went off in search of this device and found this 1- Coils are designed for High VG Eliquids. If your eliquid contains less than 60% VG you will have leaking problems,
    fabricator4 and Cat like this.
    just me

emu
    AVF Regular
    Nice easy to read review Stu, good to see another Melo3 user enjoying the magic of Eleaf. The ECL 0.18 & 0.3 coils are both stainless steel by the way not kanthal. The " L " means Large for large wick port as they are elongated and super big for high Vg and chain vaping, those two ECL's are the only coils I use and I've never had a dry hit or leak although it's been a while since I used a high Vg, 70 Pg down to 50/50 is my preference these days.

Melo3 and Melo3 mini's just don't leak, if yours does then ya missing an O'ring or there is a fault in the machining. I've had two mini's for 16 months and haven't spilled a drop even with the old 0.5 small wick port coils, you can lay em down or vape doing a handstand and they just won't leak. The RBA heads are cheap and a good backup although you lose the flavour because they are a horizontal build opposed to the vertical factory coils which give a lot better flavour in my experience. An eyedropper is a good fast way to fill the Melo's even my new 300 I use an eyedropper.
    Cat likes this.

AVF Regular
    Ordered a melo 3 now for painful wait of next day delivery (I hope)
    Cat and emu like this.
    just me

emu
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Ordered a melo 3 now for painful wait of next day delivery (I hope)
    Sully these coils are a must for unrivaled flavour and reliability mate, do yourself a favour and grab a pack of the 0.3 ohm ones. Always prime the cotton with juice on the wick port holes till they stop soaking it up and fill the tank then let it sit for 5-10 mins before first use.

https://www.blacksnakevapour.com.au/...nt=32706414086

Enjoy...!!
    Cat likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Sully these coils are a must for unrivaled flavour and reliability mate, do yourself a favour and grab a pack of the 0.3 ohm ones. Always prime the cotton with juice on the wick port holes till they stop soaking it up and fill the tank then let it sit for 5-10 mins before first use.

https://www.blacksnakevapour.com.au/...nt=32706414086

Enjoy...!!
    oh crap I ordered these - eLeaf iJust 2 / Melo EC Coils [5-Pack] - 0.18ohm
    wrong ones?
    just me

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    oh crap I ordered these - eLeaf iJust 2 / Melo EC Coils [5-Pack] - 0.18ohm
    wrong ones?
    Just higher resistance and Dual SS316 so you can use Wattage or Temp. They will be fine.

Resistance Options:

0.18ohm : 50 - 80W (Dual SS316L)
    0.3ohm : 30-80w
    0.5ohm : 30-100w
    0.5ohm Ceramic : 30-60w (SS316L)
    Cat and Sully like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast