Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: More schtuff! Pico dual, OBS Engine, Innokin Axiom.

AVF Regular

More schtuff! Pico dual, OBS Engine, Innokin Axiom.

Hello All,

As mentioned during the previous (surprisingly popular) review thread, I'd mentioned some new stuff I'd just got and here's what I think of them.

First, the Pico dual.

I wanted something with a bit more punch (in case I ever needed it), I'm a tightasre and the Pico promises 200W on 2 cells and it's about the same price as the regular Pico, so I took the plunge.

If you've ever seen a Pico, smear the battery section across 45 and that's what this thing looks like top down. It's a not quite Wankel rotor and actually does look somewhat cobbled together. But it works, kind of. It'll handle 25mm tanks (Engine!), but there is an overhang over the fire button because it's a smeared Pico, and the Pico won't handle a 25mm tank without overhang and interfering with the battery cover.

It's klunky and cobbled together, however once a silicon sleeve is available for it I'm 99.9% sure that overhang will disappear and it'll be as slick as snot. Chunky, not runny...

Came with a Melo III mini, which is nice. Also came with an adapter to use it as a power bank if you so need it to be one. I installed Arctic fox firmware almost instantly, which doesn't have the power bank functionality (as yet), so that's a bit of a paperweight, and besides I already have 2 much slicker USB battery things anyway. I guess if you're on the go-go-getter type, it might be handy. But the Pico dual isn't exactly portable because it's a heavy beast and odd shaped. If you need it, it's there. Pointless to me but it's a 'feature'.

('Feature' in the construction trade is slang for 'foul up'. Works here too I think...)

It works, it's not bad and it's relatively compact. If it was 1.5 times the price of a Pico, I'd be a little 'meh' about it, but as mine cost the same as my Pico did, winner!

The OBS Engine was suggested by Noe originally, pushed along by a few others. Cheap, big, different. Looks good and well made. Minimal parts to lose and the design promises no leaks, let alone the reputation. It has everything right there to be a bit of a hit.

The problem I've found is that it's very sensitive to it's coils, which while the tank is 25mm in diameter, the build deck is more akin to a 22mm small scale build deck. It's tight in there, so you need to make sure your build is compact to prevent shorts. I've had some trouble working up a nice coil pair to get the promised 'flavour' out of it, and I've only just managed to work out what I was doing wrong.

It's super, mega, HYPER sensitive to it's coils. The flavour is really hiding in there, but if your build isn't up to scratch, all the nasty from your build is what you're going to get. After trying some heavy coils and getting erratic temp control (it gets real hot, real fast and stays warm for a long time), switching to some lighter but still somewhat heavy coils and getting the same lack of Goldilocks, I'm now running some very light coils (28GA 316 SS, 3mm ID, 13 loops for 0.78ohm the pair) and it seems to be pretty good.

But coil sensitivity is still there, as I was getting an off taste that was telling me "rayon wicks are overheating!". On such a mild build, I didn't think it was possible, but ripped it open and there's the hot spots. Evened it all out (rayon doesn't burn so much, but hot spots will overheat and singe the liquid.) and it's what was promised. Plenty of flavour, no leaks of any kind and once sorted, great.

Huge capacity tank, meaningful airflow control and no leaks at all. It's not fully what I expected, but it's very good and will be used often. I also think it should be filled with a robust flavour, nothing too subtle. Subtle seems to be a little lost on this one. I'm not sure it's going to be a cloudchasers tank, although it does have the airflow for it, I think that chamber stuck deep inside holds too much heat and running a really hot set up is asking for trouble.

Also stripped a grub screw. Soft stainless screws in it so make sure your allen key is in good shape.

Lastly, but by no means least, the Innokin Axiom.

I stumbled across this one while looking at reviews somewhere, dunno where. Found it, looked ok so I bought it.

I was expecting a 'normal' sized tank, something like a Toptank , Melo, etc, etc. After all it's a rebuildable tank and holds 3.5ml of liquid in it. Promised to be a flavourful device too.

What I got was something that's cute, and tiny. Really, really tiny. If you have a Melo III mini on hand, that'll give you some idea. But you'll need to take the fill cap off the Melo Mini...

Tucked in there is a 'big' coil pack and it also comes with an rebuildable deck as well. Normally in this size of tank, because they're so small and compact the build deck is either postless, single coil or some other compromised design in the name of compactness. This one sports a miniature 2 post deck, not too dissimilar to what's lurking under an Avocado. But with bottom airflow. And a silicon coil blank block, like an Avocado. Think of it as a bottom airflow Avocado wrapped in a tank, and you'd be getting real close. It's like the iJoy Tornado Nano with actual posts in it. I couldn't get the Tornado to stop leaking like a sieve, but the Axiom, no leaks. Maybe a weep, but it's likely that's merely misplaced liquid, so not even leaking.

Now don't get the idea it's an easy build. There not much space and it's all covered with a tube chimney with wicks poking out of cutouts on the bottom of the deck and there's air ports under the coils and there's a heck of a lot going on in there, but not much space to fit it all. If you have sausage fingers, don't. Just don't. If you must, buy the ready made coils.

I've got a 0.25ohm pair of coils in there, so very low resistance but they're really small compact coils so not much power in them. 30W and it's singing.

And singing is exactly what it does. Lots of flavour, more than you'd ever expect off something so small. It's not airy, but airflow isn't bad and the adjustment is very positive. You change it, you can tell. The adjustment is a little tight, and the ring is smooth, so it's not something you can adjust on the fly but once set it stays which is good. And wide open it's very quiet, not much whistling or screaming, unless you're one of those who can suck-start a Kenworth. Closing the air down, it gets a whistle to it. But because you can really close it down with finesse, as an MTL tank it's pretty good too. On the same build down to 20W and barely any air, it'll MTL ok, but you'd want to put a smaller tip in it. A standard 510 fits in the hole so that's handy. Dial down the watts, close down the airflow and I think it'll do whatever you ask it to.

Very, very nicely made. Nice box it came in, a few spares as well (as usual) make for a very, very impressed Schtoo.

What gets me is the size of it, that it'll hold 3.5ml (with top fill) and you can service the coil without completely emptying the tank, if you're careful. There's no bling on it at all, just a neat stainless tube (or black), a slip of glass so you can see when it's getting low, and that's about it. Doesn't seem to worry about being refilled and leaking or gurgling because of opening it up, which is another win.

It's not for everyone, but if you're after the smallest of the small with big hitting performance then it's got to be worth a look. I've been looking for a smaller rebuildable tank, and have several and they've all been made redundant. This thing just killed them all.

And stuck on a Pico, I can make it disappear completely. I think next I'll be trying to work out how small a box I can find to run it on.

Oh, also made a clapton maker from stuff I had laying around here. After some bugs sorted, it'll make a foot and change of clapton coil as nice as can be. I guess that someone will want to see it, but let me know and I'll see what I can conjure up.

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Yeah. We want pics mate

AVF Regular
    Yeah, it's not done yet. Still needs some massaging.

But it's mostly bolt together, which is good. Just a lucky combination of bits and pieces that managed to slip together (mostly) like they were made for each other.

Stu.
    muscovyduckling likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    I didn't have as much trouble with the OBS Engine as you did but I don't use TC unless I'm testing a new device for review. I have dual, 4mm inner dia, contact claptons, reading 0.36ohms (total), running at 40W, in mine.
    The build deck was a little tight to fit the claptons in there & it took longer than normal but for someone with less experience popping in say a 3.5mm or 3mm set of claptons shouldn't be a big problem.
    The main thing I had trouble with was getting the coil height right, the top of each coil needs to sit no higher than level with the top of the posts, not 0.1mm higher or it'll short out on the barrel, took me a while to work that out (maybe with smaller coils sitting more central you could go a tad higher but I wouldn't risk it). Also to get the most flavor out of it, you want to coils sitting close to the edge of the deck, because that is where the airflow is directed from above, lining the airflow up so it hits the coils properly is important for flavor builds.

Now as for needing strong flavored juice, no not at all!
    My ADV, Bewdy which I make myself, is more pronounced in the Engine than on most of my other rebuildable tanks, the Ijoy Limitless Plus RDTA & the Ijoy eXo RTA (in single coil mode, which I haven't had long) have near identical flavor strength to the Engine but I am using different builds in each tank, to get a true comparison I need to use the same build & the same juice in each tank, instead I have built each tank for how I think it will perform best.
    So to me, flavor-wise, the Engine is one of the best tanks around, I think you haven't quite got your build right in it or something, maybe it isn't suited to TC builds but if you're not getting stellar flavor from it I think there is something not quite right.

Also heat-wise, I don't find mine is getting hot at all, I can chain vape 5-10 puffs in a row & it's not getting all that hot.
    In fact, to test, I just pulled 9 puffs in a row & had to stop because of that possible nic OD feeling coming on, unscrewed the tank from the mod & felt the tank's 510 connector, it was cool to the touch, this is where the heat should be traveling to if there is any. So I think there is possibly a short of the coil to the barrel or something on your tank to be getting so hot.
    Check the ohms with the barrel off, then with it on, make sure there is no change, if it's not that then there is something else not quite right with your build, it shouldn't be how you describe
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Noe, I'm getting the hang of it now. Not plug and play (as I'd expected), but actually taking a little time to think about it and what's likely to work best has given me a nice, absolutely flavourful setup.

10 x 26GA 316SS, plain coils. The pair coming in at 0.37ohms (which I think is probably a nice place to be at with this one) and at 40W the subtle liquid in there is coming alive.

Seems to be one of those that doesn't really 'like' TC, but I do like TC when it's working properly. I can do watts, and if 40W is where it's happy every mod I have will run it. Even if it only fits on half of them...

Maybe it can be run hotter, but I don't want that. I'm not a tooter much any more (but have stuff to do that) and I don't need clouds but don't mind them. In the middle is fine, and it really does look like this one, once I work out the setup for me, will be one I'll work on wearing out. That'll take a long time and I'll enjoy every minute of it.

So thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it's going to work out pretty nicely, but it's still not a 'my first tank'...

As this is 'my tenth tank' I think I'll be ok.

Stu.
    Noe likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Noe, I'm getting the hang of it now. Not plug and play (as I'd expected), but actually taking a little time to think about it and what's likely to work best has given me a nice, absolutely flavourful setup.

10 x 26GA 316SS, plain coils. The pair coming in at 0.37ohms (which I think is probably a nice place to be at with this one) and at 40W the subtle liquid in there is coming alive.

Seems to be one of those that doesn't really 'like' TC, but I do like TC when it's working properly. I can do watts, and if 40W is where it's happy every mod I have will run it. Even if it only fits on half of them...

Maybe it can be run hotter, but I don't want that. I'm not a tooter much any more (but have stuff to do that) and I don't need clouds but don't mind them. In the middle is fine, and it really does look like this one, once I work out the setup for me, will be one I'll work on wearing out. That'll take a long time and I'll enjoy every minute of it.

So thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it's going to work out pretty nicely, but it's still not a 'my first tank'...

As this is 'my tenth tank' I think I'll be ok.

Stu.
    Certainly not one for a beginner to rebuild on, the Ijoy RDTAs are better for that, intermediate or experienced rebuilders should be able to get the build right on it though.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Hey Stu - totally OT but I was reading some reviews about Inawera flavourings today and stumbled across this:

"The Baihrani Apple is amazing at 2%. Very similar to Halo Midnight Apple."

Thought you might be interested.

AVF Regular
    Hey Schtoo,

Great review, glad you like the Axiom! I have one too and was selling it in the classies. After I ended the sale when no one wanted to buy it, I actually revisited the Axiom. It's not a bad tank but I find the build way too small and yes my tank leaked. Originally with the included coils and with the build deck. After checking further I realised that the centre post pin on the build deck was slightly loose which was causing the leaks. After I tightened it, it was all good to go. Flavour was good.

However I did find to get the best out of the tank depended on the type of cotton you used. I found that Kendoh gold was good (as that and muji unbleached is what I have on hand) - just the right amount though as it either tended to leak too much or spit too much. It can also cause dry hits as the four feed channels are way too tiny to keep it fed properly, especially with thicker liquids.

The muji cotton wasn't it great at all. No matter what thickness I used muji tends to suck up to much liquid. This caused way to many leaks and a hell of lot of spitting. At the moment I use it really as a back up - It's an good tank if you get the build right. Also 26g claptons have a hard time fitting, so I just use 28g SS in them at 10 wraps per coil. Gives me .5 and great at 30w.

AVF Regular
    Inawera huh? Reasonable sized bottles, seems like reasonable shipping.

Looks like I'm diving into DIY again. How many Euros does my Paypal have? Dammit. Not many! Have to wait until next week...

If Japan wasn't so uptight about this kind of thing, I'm sure I could buy flavours that are made here that would be every bit as good as anywhere else and trustworthy. That's a rabbit hole I'm not going to get sucked into...

Thanks for the tip. Will have to give Noe's wares a try out before though. While I like Midnight Apple I fear going overboard on it would dull it's edge and maybe I'll just pony up for a bottle of the real thing once a year. I do like fruits though, and never get tired of apple so I don't know.

Seminew, I'm using rayon in it and when rayon isn't pushed hard it has virtually no taste to it. Get a hot spot in it, you know about it. It's not nice, but it's not obnoxious like burning cotton. I expect that the build in the Axiom is pretty much bullet proof as is. The range it has is so broad as it is right now I'm not going to even attempt to fool with it. Rewick when it needs it, recoil when it needs it and that's about it.

It's been sitting on the table here all day, on it's side, and no leaks. The 'leak' wasn't even that, I think it was misplaced liquid.

Pico is still a big, ungainly thing. Desperately waiting for a sleeve for it...

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Inawera huh? Reasonable sized bottles, seems like reasonable shipping.

Looks like I'm diving into DIY again. How many Euros does my Paypal have? Dammit. Not many! Have to wait until next week...

If Japan wasn't so uptight about this kind of thing, I'm sure I could buy flavours that are made here that would be every bit as good as anywhere else and trustworthy. That's a rabbit hole I'm not going to get sucked into...

Thanks for the tip. Will have to give Noe's wares a try out before though. While I like Midnight Apple I fear going overboard on it would dull it's edge and maybe I'll just pony up for a bottle of the real thing once a year. I do like fruits though, and never get tired of apple so I don't know.

Seminew, I'm using rayon in it and when rayon isn't pushed hard it has virtually no taste to it. Get a hot spot in it, you know about it. It's not nice, but it's not obnoxious like burning cotton. I expect that the build in the Axiom is pretty much bullet proof as is. The range it has is so broad as it is right now I'm not going to even attempt to fool with it. Rewick when it needs it, recoil when it needs it and that's about it.

It's been sitting on the table here all day, on it's side, and no leaks. The 'leak' wasn't even that, I think it was misplaced liquid.

Pico is still a big, ungainly thing. Desperately waiting for a sleeve for it...

Stu.
    Yeah i kinda keep it as a back up with a simple build. I use it for all my dessert flavours. Speaking of which I wonder if there is a thread about stubby tanks? Considering there are a heap being released maybe because of the 2ml restriction in europe or UK.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast