Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Eleaf ICare Solo

Super Moderator

Eleaf ICare Solo

Good afternoon AVF'ers Just a short review (mainly initial thoughts) on the new ICare Solo.

I bought this (yes, from my own pension money and therefore an unbiased first look) from a Chinese re-seller who has a presence on this forum, and I paid $18.50AU including $2US for "quicker" postage (NL), but it still took 30 days to arrive at home base (8 days of which it was in AusPost's possession).

That aside, the greatest difference between this and the ICare mini is the Solo is a button fire, not suction switched fire like the mini. This also allows you to switch the device on or off, with the standard 5 quick clicks. Other immediately noticeable differences are the form factor, with the Solo being more like a traditional 510 device but wider and flatter, and very similar to the current crop of vape pod devices. Because of this, I have loaded the Solo with 24mg/ml nic salts rather than traditional freebase nic. Filling for me (1.1ml) is easier than the mini, as there are two tank view ports and the max fill line is much easier to see because of this.

The coils remain the same as the normal ICare (which is a good thing) and the vape is very similar. It is primarily a MTL device, although at a pinch you can DL it, but then why would you want to?

Interestingly, if the battery is 3.7V or greater, only 3.7V is supplied to the coil, but under 3.7V battery voltage is supplied, so there must be a buck circuit in there somewhere. To me, this is a good thing as you get a consistent vape for >50% of battery charge life. I know that as soon as I notice any drop off in performance, it'll be on the charger. Speaking of which, it is charged with the normal 'USB to mini USB' cable, and the specs say can be charged at 1A (which means full charge in under 15 minutes).

Initial thoughts are positive, although the stealth factor of the mini is lost somewhat due to the form factor. I'd buy another.

Last edited by gtadmin; 30-03-17 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added images
    gert, Crisscross, Fatman and 3 others like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    I'm interested in a device like this as a work vape because a istick 40w and kayfun Mini v3 is still kinda bulky to carry on me and can't be put in a locker because of the fear of being pinched. How do you find the nicotine salts? Are they any different then freebase like traditional vaping? I've read somewhere that they absorb much more quickly into the systrm but not sure if it's just a gimmick or not

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Re salts ... you use nic salts for one thing IMO, and that's so you can use higher nic strength liquids without the corresponding higher TH, and because of the higher strength you vape less (a lot). Also, again because of the strength you feel it's affects sooner.
    gert likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Re salts ... you use nic salts for one thing IMO, and that's so you can use higher nic strength liquids without the corresponding higher TH, and because of the higher strength you vape less (a lot). Also, again because of the strength you feel it's affects sooner.
    I'm curious to try them out, do you have a link to a trusted website where you get nic salt base/eliquid?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    DIY Nicotine salts ... will finish post soon Have patience ...
    Last edited by gtadmin; 30-03-17 at 02:53 PM.
    jobics and 1ynne like this.

AVF Regular
    do you think it would suit an older lady, new to vaping, who needs a light weight kit due to arthritis... ? I was also just looking at a store that that this I care Solo and also Eleaf iCare 160 Starter Kit - 3.5ml & 1500mah .. which for about $13 US might be even better ? ohhh no... look they even have Eleaf iCare Quick Starter Kit Tiny Type - 1.8ml & 650mah for $7... but is this a false economy? whatcha think ?
    gert likes this.

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

Super Moderator
    The Solo is about 1/2" longer than a cigarette, but twice as wide but the same thickness (from memory of course, so the dimensions may be a little out). It is quite light, and I bought mine in white. That means that for older people (and I am one of those too you know ), it is not a big step from cigarettes to vapes. The only drawback is she may have problems filling it, but my 75yo neighbour fills her ICare without drama and I just change the coil for her.

The bigger ones to me look like the old eGos with a EVOD on top
    gert, Crisscross and AllyP like this.

AVF Regular
    I just watched DJLsb Vapes review.. and he shows them all... opening to refill looks much easier on the biggger versions... more to hold on to.. white.. good tip .. (see I dont even know what an old ego with an evod is.. um well I know ego.. but not the vaping sort lol) :0 and the coils are cheap. $2.45 for 5 !!! its funny but I think she is more likely to vape with one these than a mod with a tank to start with.. thanks for planting the seed !..
    gert and Crisscross like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    do you think it would suit an older lady, new to vaping, who needs a light weight kit due to arthritis... ? I was also just looking at a store that that this I care Solo and also Eleaf iCare 160 Starter Kit - 3.5ml & 1500mah .. which for about $13 US might be even better ? ohhh no... look they even have Eleaf iCare Quick Starter Kit Tiny Type - 1.8ml & 650mah for $7... but is this a false economy? whatcha think ?
    Lynne I have some clone Evod starter kits here if you want one for her. Fairly tight draw, and she'll need some high nic in it, at least 18mg/ml.

They are starter kits that I bought specifically to PIF to smokers.

If you like, I can drill one of the Evod air holes out to 1mm. I always found it made a slightly looser more comfortable vape.

Just let me know...
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    ok lemme go and ask uncle google to find me an evod starter kit lol... us 'young' whipper snappers.. ** laughing
    Crisscross likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast