Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Lost Vape ePetite DNA 60

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    The lovely 1ynne did offer to send me her wood panels for a swap if i got abalone panels, but i just couldnt do it, because id never be sure she wouldnt regret swapping the wood ones. 1ynne as you can imagine was doing her best to try and convince me she would be okay with it and doing i expect out of great kindness, but id never sleep wondering if she regretted it. Plus i thought she might just be using the idea of a swap just to get my address to attempt further packages, like Sirens Or that she would give it out and id start getting pineapples from people

Damn, where am I gonna send these now?

Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    The boxiness is the entire reason i got mine...none of the crazy fugliness of most mods that look like theyre made to appeal to 16yo gamers these days

Boring box, well'ish made...take my money
    Me too.

Tell you what, when mine arrives I'll see if I can make you up some wooden side pieces so you can swap them out or simply slap them on.

Only difference would be I have actual ebony, macassar and gabon. Macassar is streaky, looks kind of like what they stuck on these without the fugly open grain streaks (which screams stained crap-wood), gabon is blacker than black, but maybe the stick I have isn't wide enough to make a whole side plate...

(Gabon is hard to get, and I only needed a stick so that's what I got.)

Or, if you want to go for the cheaper* option, ebonized white oak. Blacker than black, no crap-grain.

I opted for silver/carbon, because that's what I like. If I find it's not jen-you-wine carbon, I'll be swapping them out for the real stuff too.

(Because I am a hoarder of cool materials. )

Damned enablers...

Stu.

*cheaper is relative. Not like I'll be billing you. And the oak is recycled, but not exactly cheap. I'll send the shavings off that along if you want that, odour compliments of Suntory.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Me too.

Tell you what, when mine arrives I'll see if I can make you up some wooden side pieces so you can swap them out or simply slap them on.

Only difference would be I have actual ebony, macassar and gabon. Macassar is streaky, looks kind of like what they stuck on these without the fugly open grain streaks (which screams stained crap-wood), gabon is blacker than black, but maybe the stick I have isn't wide enough to make a whole side plate...

(Gabon is hard to get, and I only needed a stick so that's what I got.)

Or, if you want to go for the cheaper* option, ebonized white oak. Blacker than black, no crap-grain.

I opted for silver/carbon, because that's what I like. If I find it's not jen-you-wine carbon, I'll be swapping them out for the real stuff too.

(Because I am a hoarder of cool materials. )

Damned enablers...

Stu.

*cheaper is relative. Not like I'll be billing you. And the oak is recycled, but not exactly cheap. I'll send the shavings off that along if you want that, odour compliments of Suntory.
    Cheers, its nice to see some more wood appreciation on here...lol, the wood panelled ePetites have gone like hotcakes so i dont feel like a lone freak as much anymore

I hate to tell you, having owned a LostVapes Efusion with carbon fibre panels, they are most definitely not real carbon fibre, from memory its a sticker that simulates the carbon fibre look
    laurie9300 and SubyXV like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Ok, looks like I'll be slicing up some real stuff there as well.

Only paper thin, but real carbon has a 'look' that simply can't be replicated. "Chatoyance" would be an appropriate explanation.

I'd do it for the AL85 as well, but Smok's legendary paint finish has struck mine...

(Smok, metal primer and/or epoxy coatings. They really do work. Ask Eleaf...)

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Cheers, its nice to see some more wood appreciation on here...lol, the wood panelled ePetites have gone like hotcakes so i dont feel like a lone freak as much anymore

I hate to tell you, having owned a LostVapes Efusion with carbon fibre panels, they are most definitely not real carbon fibre, from memory its a sticker that simulates the carbon fibre look
    I have no idea what it really is, but it's definitely not a sticker. It's about 1.5 mm thick, and the cf pattern goes all the way through. The surface is flat, no texture, and it's very strong, I can't bend it, 1000 x stronger than the flimsy plastic panel it's glued on to.....
    1ynne likes this.

AVF Regular
    I agree with you it's not a sticker. Just on carbon fibre. I have a handful of different sheets that i picked up a couple of years ago. At least three have a flat finish and not the 3D look of say the BB. If you want to cut down some new panels please investigate the safety aspect of cutting them. The dust is hazardous and needs power cutting or grinding tools. Use a repirator and eye proection.
    gtadmin, Fatman and 1ynne like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    My bad

You may be right on the new gear, im just going on the Efusion i had with silver "carbon fibre" sides on it, most definitely they were not real carbon fibre, and were definitely 1000% carbon fibre effect stickers.

I just assumed they had used the same trick on the epetite.
    Crisscross likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie9300 View Post
    I have no idea what it really is, but it's definitely not a sticker. It's about 1.5 mm thick, and the cf pattern goes all the way through. The surface is flat, no texture, and it's very strong, I can't bend it, 1000 x stronger than the flimsy plastic panel it's glued on to.....
    That's the real stuff. Although I'd suspect it's cheap-o Chiwanese stuff which is plenty ok for cosmetic applications and some structural items.

Cutting it, not pleasant. Shaping it, even worse. Use full on dust protection from the carbon dust and the epoxy used to bind the carbon together. Splinters are nasty, but very black so easy to find and remove. Makes everything BLACK so messy as well. Dull tools fast, so tungsten tipped cutters (I have tungsten edged jigsaw blades) and wrapping files in SiC paper works well.

Saying that, no surprise I've ridden that horse before.

And I'll save my stuff for something else, as it's not Chiwanese at all...

So just wood it is then, at least one pair sans crappy backing plastic.

(Not that wood is always more pleasant to work with. I have an acquired pine allergy. As soon as I make any dust with it, nose goes berserk. So I don't use it any more if I can avoid it, and if I can't I use the good mask. Which probably needs replacement now. I think the rubber parts are kaput.)

As for the 'flat' finish, it'll either be 'dry' carbon, which has minimal epoxy for reduced weight or deliberately matte for cosmetic reasons, depending on what it was intended for. Unless there's a 'texture' in it, which is probably from the peel ply used when it was formed, and they're usually used to give additional adhesives a 'key'. Depends on what it actually is, and if you don't know for sure then it doesn't matter, especially if you use only flat sections. A clear coating will make it pretty if that's what you're after from it.

Stu.
    Fatman and laurie9300 like this.

AVF Regular
    In case you missed it in my sale thread. This is one of the wood panels with a buff and polish. The base wood is tight grain enough to get a great finish. Much easier to maintain than a coating.

SubyXV likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    That's the real stuff. Although I'd suspect it's cheap-o Chiwanese stuff which is plenty ok for cosmetic applications and some structural items.

Cutting it, not pleasant. Shaping it, even worse. Use full on dust protection from the carbon dust and the epoxy used to bind the carbon together. Splinters are nasty, but very black so easy to find and remove. Makes everything BLACK so messy as well. Dull tools fast, so tungsten tipped cutters (I have tungsten edged jigsaw blades) and wrapping files in SiC paper works well.

Saying that, no surprise I've ridden that horse before.

And I'll save my stuff for something else, as it's not Chiwanese at all...

So just wood it is then, at least one pair sans crappy backing plastic.

(Not that wood is always more pleasant to work with. I have an acquired pine allergy. As soon as I make any dust with it, nose goes berserk. So I don't use it any more if I can avoid it, and if I can't I use the good mask. Which probably needs replacement now. I think the rubber parts are kaput.)

As for the 'flat' finish, it'll either be 'dry' carbon, which has minimal epoxy for reduced weight or deliberately matte for cosmetic reasons, depending on what it was intended for. Unless there's a 'texture' in it, which is probably from the peel ply used when it was formed, and they're usually used to give additional adhesives a 'key'. Depends on what it actually is, and if you don't know for sure then it doesn't matter, especially if you use only flat sections. A clear coating will make it pretty if that's what you're after from it.

Stu.
    I'm not sure just wood is going to work for the battery side, the magnets are only on one side with clips on the other....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast