Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Lost Vape ePetite DNA 60

AVF Regular

Lost Vape ePetite DNA 60

Lost Vape ePetite DNA 60 - A Word Dump

A while ago something bad happened to one of the magnets in my Lavabox 75 battery cover. Long story short - combined with some user error the cover now flops around like a limp D, it's annoying, and the mod is now a house-only mod. As I like to keep at least one nice looking single 18650 DNA mod for taking out, I've been in the market for a replacement.

Cue Evolv releasing two new interesting boards - the DNA 60, and the DNA 75c. Perfect timing!

At first I was all like "Wooo! 75c!"... but the affordable mod makers have so far been all "Woo! Dual 18650! 26650! BIG MODS!". Eventually I got sick of waiting for a DNA 75c I liked, and decided to look into the DNA 60 instead. That led me to the Lost Vape ePetite DNA 60 - one of the few mass produced single 18650 DNA 60 mods on the market right now.

The Board

I'm really liking the DNA 60. Though it's supposed to be a modern successor to the somewhat questionable DNA 40, it's also an improvement on the DNA 75 in some circumstances. From a user standpoint, the DNA 60 apparently improves the TC regulation hardware (the TC performance is very typical for DNA boards), and ups the voltage output limit from a measly 6.2v to a more respectable 9v.

There is a catch though - peak possible wattage output drops from 75W to 60W, and the amp cutoff drops from 30A to 22A (not a huge deal - though it does lose a bit of performance under 0.15 ohm when in "wattage mode" compared to the DNA 75 directly because of the lowered amp cutoff - not just because of the 60W limit). Oh, and you lose the coloured LED, and the USB port is an optional addition rather than built in to the board itself (though I dare say most manufacturers will opt to include the USB daughter board - as Lost Vape did on the ePetite).

I've been hammering the DNA 60 since I've had it - running down the battery, changing everything in eScribe, and throwing a bunch more materials on it (yes - it has the same limits with materials as the other DNA boards, yes - there's a limit to the number of materials you can store on-device... and yes - I've hit that limit ). So far it hasn't skipped a beat - it hasn't had any weird glitches or bugs. It's been rock solid, and worked as expected.

That said, the battery efficiency is very similar to a DNA 75. I would have liked to have seen more of an improvement there - like the DNA 75, the DNA 60 is a bit on the power hungry side. I can still get through a rough work day on it, but heavier vapers or those pushing the boards limits will want a second battery (either in the mod, or a spare to swap in during the day).

The DNA 60 straight up pantses the DNA 75 for builds over about 0.6 ohm. The DNA 60 can hit the full 60W for a MUCH larger range of resistances - 60W up to about 1.35 ohms or so, compared to the DNA 75 which can't manage 60W on anything over about 0.6 ohm, and generally just deals with high resistance builds by curling up under the desk in a foetal position.

Sure, if you're running under 0.6 ohm all the time - the DNA 75 is still the better option. It's more widely available, it's cheaper, it tops out higher, and you get blinkenlights. But if you have some older tanks you like to put non-TC builds over 1 ohm in (Kayfun, Russian, eXpromiser, Rose, Taifun GT, etc) - the DNA 60 is by far the more flexible board, particularly if you like that style of atty pushed hard.

Have some chart... this explains why I like the DNA 60 and why I don't see it as a totally superfluous board even though the DNA 75 exists .

The Device

Anyway! Here's what y'all came for...

This is the Black and Ebony Wood version. The particular vendor I purchased from didn't specify the type of wood - but I believe that all black / wood combos are "Ebony Wood".

The first thing that jumps out - it's unapologetically boxy. And as with similar Lost Vape mods in their e-whatever line, it feels boxy in the hand. Lost Vape have thankfully done a nice job on the corners and edges however - so the device doesn't dig in uncomfortably. Honestly - it's pretty middle of the road hand-feel wise. It's a bit fat, but thanks to being narrow I can actually get my hand around it (unlike the eFusion / Halcyon which, while I can happily use them, make me look like I'm doing some kind of product placement).

Speaking of which - they have put a logo on this one. It's in keeping with the clean look of the mod, though I don't know how it's going to hold up once the device gets some table wear.

Here's a quick happy snap comparing the eFusion DNA 200, the ePetite DNA 60, and everyone's favourite old comparison banger... the Evic VTC Mini.

Hilariously, the ePetite weighs the same as the Evic VTC Mini! (163.85g for the ePetite, and 163.3g for the VTC Mini - both with batteries). To round it out, the eFusion hefts in at 231.6g.

The ePetite is nicely made for the most part. DJLSB's review video shows the device to be neat and well executed internally. The device is neatly finished under the panels, there's no internal rattles, no button rattle - but there is some annoying play in the rear panel. I think this has to do with their decision to use only two magnets and two little hooks instead of the four magnet set up like on the front. While the rear panel holds well and is in no danger of popping off, the play does cheapen the feel of an otherwise really solid little mod.

Another minor gripe has to do with the 510. While it's securely installed with screws (not just press fit and hot glued) and the threads are stainless steel... it's raised ever so slightly. There is a 19mm or so platform for the atty to sit on to reduce the stress on the 510 threads - but I still prefer a flush fit, swirl marks be damned. Thankfully, it's not a huge deal - the gap is only VERY small - not small enough to be noticeable in general usage.

As you can probably see from this picture, the 510 placement and curvature of the frame also means that most attys have a very, VERY, slight overhang. The very slight overhang is really not noticeable in general usage until you get up to 24mm (pictured is a 23mm atty, 22mm attys still have a small overhang - barely noticeable even if you are looking for it). I would say this device has a size limit of 24mm attys - that's really as far as it can be pushed while still looking sensible.

At the other end of the spectrum is something I wish they hadn't made flush - the fire button! The button itself has a good click, and it's never misfired or stuck on me - I just find it odd that they've chosen to make it flush, and make the control buttons stick out so much. It's a similar configuration to the eFusion - though they seem to have listened to feedback, as the fire button on the ePetite is not quite that flush, and has a bit more of a bevelled edge to make it easy to find by feel (which I've never had an issue with, never had an issue with the eFusion either - but I know some other people hated the fire button on those).

The ePetite's defaults are pretty sensible - however Lost Vape did balls up the mod's internal resistance setting. They've set it to 0.003 ohms, when it should be 0.011 ohms. It's not a big deal as it's easy to change (unhide the manufacturers tab first ), but having it set incorrectly does throw off your resistance detection slightly, and mess up the way the device does TC. They really should have caught that at the factory before the devices shipped.

In spite of the flaws, the ePetite is a very nice device, and Lost Vape have done quite a few things right. The battery is easy to get at, with clear polarity markings, sane battery contacts, and a battery removal ribbon. There's a hole in the case so the light on the USB daughter board is visible. The front panel holds REALLY well - there's no play in it all. And the replacement panels are a nice option - or at least they will be, once distribution and availability sorts itself out a bit.

Speaking of panels - it's cool that the wood is actually real sliver of dead tree wood. It just really makes the mod look and feel that much better. Slightly disappointing that the panels themselves are actually a hard plastic though - it's good for weight saving, I just hope they hold up to abuse over time (particularly the small hooks on the rear panel).

So, in summary - I really like this device. It's a great mod, well made with a really nice suitable board - it's just got a few very minor faults. As long as those faults aren't deal breakers, and you buy-in knowing about them, it's a good little daily device that's particularly well suited for people looking to run moderate wattages on builds that are a bit higher resistance.

Pros Cons
    • Evolv DNA 60 based
    • Nice build quality
    • Clean and classy looking
    • Real wood on panels
    • Easy access to removable 18650 battery, sane battery contacts
    • Reasonably sized, reasonable weight
    • Visible charge light from DNA 60 USB daughter board
    • Stainless steel 510 threads
    • Play in rear removable panel
    • Removable panel backs are hard plastic
    • Raised 510 (somewhat mitigated by platform)
    • Slight atty overhang
    • Fire button a bit too flush - though not as flush as the eFusion
    • Incorrect mod internal resistance set in eScribe by default. Should be 0.011 ohms, NOT 0.003 ohms.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Mrs Suby has one and she loves her one. Great review too

AVF Regular
    Thanks for the review Fractal

The Efusion made me miss mine yet again I loved the heft of it.

Funnily one of the things i really like don the Efusion that you mention on the Epetite is the raised 510, i swing the other way on that and wish all mods had a slightly raised 510
    Ive been waiting on a 75c simply because of the extra functions, but im always hedging of the Epetite, just waiting till they get within range of my vape budget or another fortnight...
    Almost grabbed one tonight but they were out of wood where they were even within range of what i could afford...

Clearly either a 75c or 60 will work for me from your wattage/resistance chart, i live in 0.6 land
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Cheers y'all

Just to point out - that graph is actually a comparison of the DNA 60 and the original DNA 75 - not the new DNA 75c.

I haven't really looked at what the 75c can actually do output wise. Lack of 75c mods that interest me has really put me off that board for the time being. That and the more I look at creating themes and such, the more I realise that a really big thing I love about the non-c DNA boards is their button combo vape-vape-revolution driven interface. A 75c looks like a fun distraction, but I don't really know if I could live with one day-in day-out once the novelty wears off.

I spend a lot of time in stealth mode (or otherwise covering or not looking at my mod), and it's just easier for me to deal with things like "Up + Down when locked = non-dominant setting" and "Fire + Down when locked = stealth" than it is "Down down down down down down down down down down... god damn it how many downs was that?" .

Anyway, I really don't want to poo-poo the non-c DNA 75 in all this. It's still a fine board, and if you're around 0.6 ohm most of the time it's great - you'll get your 75W out of it no problems.

The limitations of the old DNA 75 really come up if you're trying to push builds over an ohm to wattages in the high 20's and beyond. I was perfectly happy with my DNA 75 for a long time - and it's still great when running lower resistance stuff and general TC tanking. I ran smack into the DNA 75 limitations when I started to resurrect some of my older non-TC "builds around 1.5 ohms or so" tanks - I was unable to get the DNA 75 to push them hard enough if I slipped in a few too many wraps (which, when you're gotten used to wide voltage ranges and TC building, and out of the habit of wrap counting and building to a certain resistance, is very easy to do ).
    stylemessiah likes this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    I think all got that it was the original 75, not the c variant

I find im like you tired fot he 75c due to the lack of available non-fugly ones...ive resigned myself to the epetite life, if i can get one before the silver with wood panels ones run out

Hahaha im used to the up up up life as opposed to the down down down x 30 life

To turn the TB off...

fire fire fire, up, fire, up, fire

which is what you do if youre smart, otherwise it is:

fire fire fire, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, fire, down, fire

Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    I got tired of waiting for a non-fugly DNA75C, so i just now grabbed an ePetite from Elego...and as stocks of silver/wood are depleted most everywhere i had to order it in silver/black carbon fibre, and then order a set of ebony panels from the UK..

I think if id waited much longer id find it hard to get any combo...theyre selling out everywhere.

The lovely 1ynne did offer to send me her wood panels for a swap if i got abalone panels, but i just couldnt do it, because id never be sure she wouldnt regret swapping the wood ones. 1ynne as you can imagine was doing her best to try and convince me she would be okay with it and doing i expect out of great kindness, but id never sleep wondering if she regretted it. Plus i thought she might just be using the idea of a swap just to get my address to attempt further packages, like Sirens Or that she would give it out and id start getting pineapples from people
    Crisscross and rockmoose like this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    sigh.... so now I HAVE to go and buy the abalone panels... sigh but first I WILL stain my wood panels with purple ink.. and sing a little song ...
    Crisscross, MrGruffy and Gandalf like this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    sigh.... so now I HAVE to go and buy the abalone panels... sigh but first I WILL stain my wood panels with purple ink.. and sing a little song ...
    You dont have to, you have like every other panel for yours...oh wait...its a i need to complete the collection thing....

Poiple references and singing...and blinging

Sometimes i forget where XX starts and 1ynne begins
    Crisscross and 1ynne like this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Nice one fractal. I was on the verge of getting one of these but it was the boxiness that put me off. I love the wood panels on it though. The model you got looks great😎👍👍

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    Nice one fractal. I was on the verge of getting one of these but it was the boxiness that put me off. I love the wood panels on it though. The model you got looks great������
    The boxiness is the entire reason i got mine...none of the crazy fugliness of most mods that look like theyre made to appeal to 16yo gamers these days

Boring box, well'ish made...take my money
    steve.c and monts_mys like this.

Handy shopping links:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast