Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Smok AL85 (Alien baby) Kit

AVF Regular

Smok AL85 (Alien baby) Kit

Hi AussieVapers, In this review i take a look at the AL85 Kit from Smok. The kit was kindly provided free of charge by Ema from Sourcemore for the purpose of this review.

In the Box

Contents:

1 x AL85 Mod
    1 x TFV8 Baby Tank (3mL)
    1 x V8 Baby-Q2 Core (0.4ohm dual coils) (Pre-Installed)
    1 x V8 Baby-Q2 Core (0.6ohm dual coils)
    1 x USB Charge/Upgrade Cable
    1 x User Manual
    Spare O-rings
    Battery Safety Card
    Warranty Card
    Vape Band

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The AL85 is the exact design copy of the Alien but in miniature. If it wasn't for the Eleaf style battery cap on top of the mod allowing the device to be shorter than an 18650 battery it really would be a case of "Honey Who Shrunk My Alien". The Alien design suits the smaller version very well and is very pleasing to the eye. The paint finish is very nice. The kit sent to me was the full colour. The 3ml Baby Beast tank supplied with the kit looks very nice on top of the device.

Ergonomically i'm not sure it can get much better as the device just gets swallowed up by the hand and it feels very comfortable. The responsive fire bar just needs a squeeze to fire, (very nice).

Baby Beast

Spec

Size: 22 x 53mm
    Capacity: 3ml
    Coil: V8 Q2 dual core - 0.4ohm (Best: 55 - 65W)
    Coil: V8 Q2 dual core - 0.6ohm (Best: 30 - 40W)
    V8 baby RBA (optional)
    Material: SS
    Thread: 510

The Baby Beast has been reviewed so many times going in to detail will bore most people. For those that haven't come across it before, it is a top-fill, very flavoursome tank capable of keeping those that like their clouds happy. There are plenty of coil options to keep the majority of people happy. The Baby Beast is ideal for DL vapers but also caters for the inbetweeners. Some people are MTL and some DL, but i believe there are a lot of people who have a vaping style that suits them personally that falls inbetween the two. It makes it no surprise that it is included in so many Smok kits.

AL85 (Baby Alien)

Time to have a look at the baby device that packs a fair punch.

Spec

Size: 71 x 48 x 27mm
    Weight: 120g
    Power Range: 1-85W
    Voltage Range: 0.35-8.0V
    Resistance Range:
    0.10ohm – 3.00Ohm (VW Mode)
    0.06ohm – 3.00Ohm (TC Mode)
    Temperature Range: 200-600F/100-315C
    OLED Screen
    Smok Alien Design
    Top Battery Compartment
    Temperature Control.
    Comes in Many Colours.

Build Quality

The device is built solidly and the paint finish seems durable enough. The 510 is good quality and sits nice and flush. There are no rattles from the device including when the battery is fitted.

Using the device

The AL85 is a single 18650 device with a maximum output of 85 watts which will cover most vapers needs. Those that vape at higher wattages obviously this isn't the device for you. The battery can be changed with ease while the device is standing upright, unscrew the cap and just pull out the protruding battery. The battery orientation is clearly marked. Apart from the maximum output wattage the device is identical in spec to the Alien. The Menu also is identical and is the menu system Smok has used on other devices such as the QBox. Five clicks turns the device on then 3 clicks takes you out of the main screen into the menu choices which you can scroll through and choose to enter. It really is an easy interface to use so no surprise they use it on so many devices. Some people might find the main screen a bit cluttered but i am ok with the wealth of information. The device fully supports temperature conrol. The device will also accommodate 25mm tanks without overhang which is impressive for such a small device.

Performance

The device didn't let me down while i was using it and going back to the ergonomics felt very comfortable in the hand. I used the supplied tank for the majority of time and gave both supplied coils a good go. The 0.4 i settled for 50W which i know is 5 watts below the recommended best but i found the flavour excellent and easily enough cloud for me. The 0.6 i was bang in the middle of the recommended best at 35w and was equally impressed. At those wattages the battery life was perfectly acceptable in my opinion. There is no battery venting and although i didnt find the device got more than slightly warm when chain vaping i would still prefer venting on the device. I only dabbled at the temperature control with stainless steel and it seemed fine but i am only just getting to grips with temperature control so i'm not anywhere near competent enough to give a verdict. Not being a temp control whizz i did do some research and from what i found it works fine. The battery can be charged via the usb port and the device supports firmware upgrades.

Conclusion

A single battery device that really does pack a punch giving most vapers everything they need from a device. The included Baby Beast is a great choice of tank giving both flavour and cloud.

Likes Baby Beast

Flavoursome
    Plenty of Clouds
    Top-fill
    Plenty of Coil Options
    RBA Option

Likes AL85 (Baby Alien)

Great Design
    Good Build Quality
    User Friendly Menu
    Wealth of Information on Main Screen
    Top Entry Battery
    On Board Charging
    Firmware Upgradable
    Small Size
    Ergonomically Superb

Dislikes

No Battery Venting

I would like once again to thank Ema from Sourcemore for supplying the Smok AL85 Kit.
    Last edited by Fatman; 09-10-17 at 07:22 PM. Reason: fixing pic

AVF Regular
    Therefore from now on:

-Paid reviews (or reviews for items received free of charge and/or specifically mentioning who supplied it)- these paid reviews should be in the vendors sub-forum, and if that happens to be "Vendor General" then within their established thread

From the rulez
    DocM and Danny76 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Fatman said as long as the pictures don't have the vendors logo they are fine here only told that a week ago.

AVF Regular
    I said they same thing last week Doggie and was corrected by FM that ... "If links to the supplying vendor are part of the review AVF will require the review be posted in the vendors thread/forum." and a further amendment to the rules last week was

"Also it has been noticed that further forms of Pseudo Advertising in the form of using images plastered with the suppliers name are being used in reviews ... we suggest that reviewers use their own images or ones taken from manufacturers website ( with permission if required ) ... Images with the suppliers company logo will be removed if reported from this date ... Please dont take the easy way out reviewers .. you are getting a free mod, work for it rather than the person supplying you "

edit to addhttps://ukvapers.org/attachment.php?thumbnail=60846 in this case there is a link showing to an image that Tim from the UK, who receives goods from China to review on an Aussie forum probably needs to remove
    Last edited by 1ynne; 09-10-17 at 08:51 AM.
    DogMan, DocM, Danny76 and 1 others like this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    I said they same thing last week Doggie and was corrected by FM that ... "If links to the supplying vendor are part of the review AVF will require the review be posted in the vendors thread/forum." and a further amendment to the rules last week was

"Also it has been noticed that further forms of Pseudo Advertising in the form of using images plastered with the suppliers name are being used in reviews ... we suggest that reviewers use their own images or ones taken from manufacturers website ( with permission if required ) ... Images with the suppliers company logo will be removed if reported from this date ... Please dont take the easy way out reviewers .. you are getting a free mod, work for it rather than the person supplying you "
    so the rules contradict themselves?
    DocM likes this.

AVF Regular
    not really - no links and no images with suppliers name - except the image do in fact link back to original site.. so yes / and no
    DocM likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'm curious what happens with all these free items for review? Do they get returned or Tim ends up with a pile of gear?
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    not really - no links and no images with suppliers name - except the image do in fact link back to original site.. so yes / and no
    rule 1 needs editing then

it says if you got it free for review, it goes in supplier thread

rules are easier to follow if you don't need a phd to understand the way they are written
    Fatman and DocM like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I'm curious what happens with all these free items for review? Do they get returned or Tim ends up with a pile of gear?
    It's of no use to the supplier once it's been opened and used, so of course it does not get sent back. That's why most of the big reviewers do giveaways on their youtube channels. They just have too much stuff that they will never use, which has compounded the problem because now the suppliers send them multiples of things that they want them to give away - it's good promotion. (LOLs).
    DogMan, DocM, 1ynne and 1 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    and this is what FM said on another of Tims review last week -

Vaporesso Revenger 220W Kit
    DocM likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast