Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By zainwolf
  • 1 Post By prof beard

Thread: AVA LR atomizer - bottom feeder edition

AVA LR atomizer - bottom feeder edition

AVA LR atomizer - bottom feeder edition
    AVA-LV Low Resistance - USA Made Atomizer | ThermoVape

I've been vaping for just over seven months now. One of the things I enjoy most about vaping is trying new things, but I have a limited budget so often look for really good deals. So, why in the heck would I purchase what Prof Beard called the world's most expensive non-repairable atomizer?

I vaguely recall seeing someone in one of the forums make mention of a $50 atomizer and thought “that sounds like a rip off!” so didn't give it too much thought at the time, other than ridicule. Then I heard bits more about it here and there, such as it supposedly being made using superior materials and that it was meant to be the next generation atomizer. Then I read Prof Beard's write-up about the AVA and became somewhat intrigued, so I decided to have a look at this pricey number.

Some of the details stated of the AVA: No fiberglass/solder/silica rope, the vapour path is free of any kind of plastic, silicon or rubber, medical device grade ceramic, solid mechanical connections, no “hot spots” and perfect flavour. I was seriously intrigued by this point, having been in the market for something special to use with my REO Grand. Then I noticed one minor detail about the AVA, it has a sealed bottom connection, so naturally wouldn't work with a bottom feeder. Since I was in the market for something special to use with mine, this held me back for a little while. Eventually though, while looking at other products I noticed that they had released a new bottom feeder edition and my interest sparked up once more.

It took a week and a half to arrive and came in a spiffy little plastic tube with a plug cap. I noticed right away that this version lacked that slightly thicker top section that the previous version had. I've read that was to make for a better seal in the apex RES unit. Some people complained that they couldn't use theirs with a drip shield, but I would think that a 510 charging extender would do the job. Sure, it might stick up out of the drip shield more than normal but the leakage would surely be contained just the same. At any rate, that isn't an issue for me since I slapped the atty on my REO in seconds flat and started to vaping!

The first thing I noticed was that the vapor production was a bit on the light side, but for a fresh atty only just wet, I wasn't expecting tons just yet. What I really noticed is that the taste was very clean. In fact, I've barely got even a lightly scorched flavour from this atty after a week of vaping on it! A slight hissing sound after a hit and/or vapor production dropping off is your cue to give it more juice, which is of course a snap with a REO. Now when I say after a week of vaping, I mean all day every day. This atty has been hammered and hammered hard! I've only put a couple of my favourite flavours through it so far. I started out with the VK Red, having been in the mood for something non-sweet at the time. The bulk of the breaking in time (for me it was 2 days) was with this nice satisfying tobacco vape, but then I craved my favourite sweet tobacco vape, Del's Ultimate Pipe and swapped the spare bottle in after blowing the VK Red out. I don't do anything too special to change flavours in my REO, I just wipe the feed tube and bottle cap clean with a napkin and slap the new bottle on there. It took a little bit of vaping and a few squonks on the bottle before the DUP fully took over but the mingling wasn't bad for me since I like both of the flavours. Once it did fully kick in, boy did I notice it! You really do taste a lot more of your juice with this atty, especially once it has broken in. I've commented elsewhere that you can even taste the VG at 20%. I cannot emphasize enough how excellent the flavour is with this atomizer! After the breaking in period, vapor production also greatly improved but I wouldn't say it was the best for that ever. It's really good (when wet) but not great. The flavour is colossal, the draw is very nice for me and my 12mg juices give just the right amount throat hit. The atty does seem to require a slight bit of finesse, vapour production goes a bit weak when it is either too wet or too dry, but it doesn't take long to get the feel of it. I just keep wishing I had a proper genesis style atomizer to compare it to, in terms of the flavour.

I've read elsewhere that this atty works best with all VG juices but I have been preferring less VG content for better flavour lately so have yet to try it with the thicker juices. (Virgin Vapor wouldn't count there I would think, since they are pretty thin.) Time will tell because I definitely will be sampling my favourite flavors in this atomizer before too long. I have a good feeling that with a little care (weekly alcohol baths perhaps) this unit will crank outstanding flavour for weeks to come. I'm encouraged that Prof Beard has run 118ml of juice through one so far.

So is it worth $40? That's the big question here I would suppose. For me, it definitely was to experience the quality of vape this beauty gives. Will I buy more? I'm strongly considering it. I want to see how far the first one goes before I decide. If it doesn't really last longer than my other favourite atomizers, I might not. But really it's the cost of a few packs of cigarettes for me, and definitely lasts more than a few days! The flavour truly is superior to anything else I've tried by far.

Thanks to everyone for reading and an extra special thanks to Thermovape for providing quality customer service and also thanks to Prof Beard of the UK Vapers forum for his encouraging review of this interesting atty.

Vape on!

PS: Prof Beard's review can be found at the link below for those (like myself) who'd like to see how his goes for longevity, he has been updating regularly how much juice he's put through it. (Though his is the earlier version, I would expect they're not too different internally.)

Apex Vapor Low Resistance Atomizer (Ava Lr) - The World's Most Expensive Non-Repairable Atomiser - UK Vapers

UPDATE: I've since tried putting it on my 510 shorty extension to use in a drip shield on my VV device, that is a no go! The base of the atty around the connector is just that little bit too wide, at least on the one I have. I don't know if others will have that issue but it's something to consider. Of course, being a bottom feeder version it can get leaky if not actually used on a bottom feeder. I do believe the sealed bottom version is still available but hear they are as leaky as any 510 style atty. Perhaps other drip shields will not be so snug, I only have my cheap aluminium clone to go by and it's definitely too tight to slide all the way over.

This reminds me that I neglected to write about the slight negative about this atty. The walls of the tube seem to be slightly thinner than other atomizers I'm used to, thus most of my drip tips are rather loose. Some would even fall out if tilted! I do have a couple that are slightly tighter in my usual cartos and attys and they're not too bad, thankfully. The small tip that came with it isn't bad either and fits decently enough. (The drip hole on that tip seems larger than usual as well.) Your favourite tip could possibly be too loose and wobble around in this one, so that's also something to consider.

I won't call it a negative but the other thing I noticed with this atty is that it can take a bit of "revving up" before the really good hits start coming out, but that is mostly down to being on a mechanical mod with a less than fresh battery. Even with a fresh IMR, it can take a puff or two to kick into full production. This doesn't really bother me at all however, I think it might be a sign that it could use a good clean. I've read somewhere that an alcohol bath is good, the highest proof dry vodka was recommended.
    Last edited by zainwolf; 30-05-12 at 02:35 AM.
    Robray, chilli and margyb like this.

awesome review zain, i wish you had a genesis atty as well to compare it to too.
    I'm convinced they are worth it for some especially since the price drop, just not me. I haven't been convinced by the exxy attys yet.
    glad you are enjoying it, be interested to see your results as you go.

does this have a heater coil at all or is it conductive ceramic or something ?
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

I think it's kanthal in there they say the materials are US sourced and more durable so to me that would suggest kanthal. There's no wick inside but there is that porous ceramic pad visible on the top. When it eventually dies I'll rip it apart and post pictures for sure. I'm almost looking forward to that and yet dread it because this flavour is just so heavenly. I'm definitely going to dilute flavours a bit more and see how that fares.

I'm just passing 150ml on mine - it got left for a bit whilst I played with others things, but is still going strong
    zainwolf likes this.
    I won't slave for beggar's pay,
    likewise gold and jewels,
    but I would slave to learn the way
    to sink your ship of fools

My bottom feeder is down and the bottom feeder version sucks to drip with on a non-bottom feeder mod, very messy business no matter how careful you are ahahaha

LinkBacks (?)