Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Easiest way to clean cartos!

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.

Cool Easiest way to clean cartos!

I made one of these carto cleaning devices & it works really good. I didn't use the glue, as explained in the video but instead just held the condom with my fingers, at the point where the carto & plastic meet.
    Not sure if you could do this with plastic clearo's but it works great with metal cartos. Boges & Smok DC/SC cartos clean up great using this.

A couple of modifications to his method here:
    I like to Suck water into the cleaning device & fill it, then insert the carto (mouth end in), then flush the carto out through the battery end. This cleans the air holes on the battery end & removes any glogging gunk there.
    This also removes the need to draw the first few pulls in then empty into another vesel or sink, instead you can just do this once or twice if you want then draw the water up & back out through the carto. I will draw up through the carto & flush out into the sink 4 - 5 times after the initial first flush.
    I found no difference doing it this way to the way he describes in the video.
    Then when it starts to look clean (the water) I will draw water in & out, while holding the carto in the cup of water for 5- 6 times more. A good tip here is use the water as soon as it boils, this will clean the gunk a lot more efficiently.
    I don't blow the excess water out like he says to. You have a carto cleaner that can do that for you, just fill with air instead of water & blow it out 5-6 times.
    If it is winter, there is no sun(sometimes) so drying the cartos in the sun isn't always going to work. Instead let them dry in a warm room for a few hours, then use about half the amount of e-juice it would normally take to fill your carto or pg/vg base if you prefer & fill the carto. It is not ready to use yet!
    Now blow from the mouth end out the battery end into a tissue, until about 1/3 - 1/2 of what you just put in comes out, what this will do is remove any left over water with the e-liquid. The reason this will work is that VG & PG "absorb" water. I don't remember the correct term for it but look up their properties if you must know. So, when you blow the e-juice through, it will pick up almost all of the water left behind like a magnet & come out as you blow it out.
    Fill carto to full , attach to PV & vape. It is that easy & takes only 5minutes once you have the carto cleaning device made.
    margyb likes this.

AVF Regular
    What is this cleaning of cartos you speak of?

In all honesty, I tried it once or twice and I didn't notice much of a difference.

Rather than doing all of that though, I would just put a drip tip on the end and squirt water through using a 50mL syringe. It forms a perfect seal.

If I wanted to go a step further I would soak overnight in a combination of 25% PG 25% VG and 50% isopropyl alcohol with a touch of citric acid added.

In the end, it was far more convenient to use a new one. I always kept a couple of old ones though, just in case I ran out.

(*Susceptible to sloppy moderation)

Noe
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    LOL citric acid?
    Couldn't be good to vape that stuff :P

Yes I agree a new carto is better but I tried the above method, as I described & it works very well. It won't get you back to a new carto but if the carto you are using is very gummed up & starting to taste bad(not burnt just bad), it will clean it up to near new condition. This way if you are running low on cartos, you can prolong the use of your old ones.

However, with the DCT, I find that the carto is still working, just not working as good as when first put in, after about a week. If I clean it, it is back to about 95% of original efficiency & gives a better vape than by continuing to use it for another week, over the second week. Since there is nothing wrong with the Smok DC carto, I don't see the point of throwing it out & punching a new one, when cleaning it will prolong the use of it. It's not so much a cost issue for me but more a convenience issue, since I have no easy way to punch these new carto's I have sitting here (yet).
    Edit: I use the single hole pre-punched ones BTW & they do not draw enough juice into them with just the 1 pre-punched hole.
    I did widen 2 more & they work much better, the first one became unusable much sooner because of the hole size. I think I will like Boge XL cartos better in the DCT but the ones I have are not punched at all & I want to try them next.

Anyway, I know there will be new vapers out there that will only have bought a few cartos & will be in desperation mode, when they are almost out of them & waiting on a new order to arrive or $$$ to order more, so this will help them I think
    Last edited by Noe; 24-06-12 at 05:25 AM.

Super Moderator
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340486114.283324.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340486127.647346.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340486141.966961.jpg

The main difference I can see is DON'T draw water through the carto then push it back through the carto as doing this repeatedly, compacts the filler material. Just draw the water through, disconnect the syringe then squirt it out. Repeat this 4 or 5 times then on the LAST one, draw water through AND push it back through the carto as this will settle the filler material back to it's approximate level when new.

Then using your mouth blow the excess out, sit it out in the sun then use the rice. Works fantastic.

Or stop being a Scrooge and just use a new one. It's not like they are $10 each

CCC
    When i used the boges i didnt clean them, i just put the next flavour in and would wait till it came through. I also do this with the SDs and only rince them out when they drop in performance.
    London Fog likes this.

Noe
    "The main difference I can see is DON'T draw water through the carto then push it back through the carto as doing this repeatedly, compacts the filler material."

I find it is not so much the filler material that is the problem but rather the air hole in the center that causes a poor vape, when it gets clogged up with gunk & causes a tighter draw, over time.
    The filler material is just there to hold e-juice, so compacting it may reduce the capacity of it to hold juice by a little but that isn't going to affect the vape.

Super Moderator
    No, the compacted filler doesn't affect the vape as such, just it's storage capacity. I used the method in the video the first time I cleaned some and noticed when I had finished that the filler was less than half of what it's was originally.

Using the method I described it leaves the filler at pretty much factory levels and the storage capacity unchanged.

Noe
    Which would be good if you weren't using a tank system but on a DCT it makes no difference
    The method I used didn't seem to compact the filler much if at all either. I haven't tried it with Boge cartos, which might act differently to DC's when being cleaned, I'll try cleaning one I have here & post my results later.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    Which would be good if you weren't using a tank system but on a DCT it makes no difference
    The method I used didn't seem to compact the filler much if at all either. I haven't tried it with Boge cartos, which might act differently to DC's when being cleaned, I'll try cleaning one I have here & post my results later.
    The original video and my response were both aimed at carto's by themselves, not in tanks and specifically where my response was concerned, Boge cartos. Try cleaning one, by all means, then post your findings. Al I was getting at is, using the method described in the video, the filler material was compacted to half it's standard size. Using the variations in the method I described above, that problem was alleviated

Horses for courses mate. If you want to screw them into a diesel turbine and fire that up to clean them, who cares, as long as the end outcome is satisfactory

Noe
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDubya View Post
    Horses for courses mate. If you want to screw them into a diesel turbine and fire that up to clean them, who cares, as long as the end outcome is satisfactory
    Nah, I prefer using jet turbines, since the airport is in my back yard, it is easy just to walk out & throw some water at the carto behind the jet LMAO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast