Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: GP Spheroid .... initial thoughts

Super Moderator

GP Spheroid .... initial thoughts

Just Scored myself a V2 GP Spheroid off the classies (#349) thanks to AVguy !

productspheroid1_0.jpg

1st impression opening the bubblewrap .... yep these things dont leak much at all .... was shipped with juice in tank and wick fitted LOL
    ( there was a small amount of condensation inside the ziplock bag it was in , but no pools , so it survied 3 days of AustPost bullying without dropping its guts ! )

It is beautifully machined its only by running a fingernail along the unit that you can feel the seams between parts .
    Mirror polished with no flaws despite being secondhand .

As a stainless mod its not "expensive " ($100 delivered in my case ) but now the chinese have changed the game with their $20 gennies , I suppose it is costly .
    It is however a work of art , it doesnt have the alignment of airhole to wick problems the cheap gennies are displaying .
    Its a small form factor (14mm OD) .

No oxidising or shorting of wick ever ... piss easy to wind and change a coil , 1st one took maybe 5 minutes from empty to full vape status including winding on new fill to the bell and fitting inside top cap .

For the "exclusivity mob " each is numbered and has after sales support .

Have encountered no leak or condensation issues whatsoever ( early days tho lol )
    Bell set up over coil delivers a warm full vape ... air enters directly under coil passes thru coil and is gathered by the bell only a few mm over the coil , a very straight airflow .

I did however find a loose piece of swarf floating inside the airhole in the base, possibly limiting it by about 60% , So AVguy , if you didnt like the draw , that might have been a contributing factor !
    Removed with pin and magnifying headset easily enough

As always , I cant comment regarding, flavour due to my anosmia , but I am definately experiencing a nice vape ( by MY standards )
    It is equal , maybe a little better (IMO and taking into account the anosmia ) to the vape from a DiDn't , with far less setting up and preparation hassles .

On the other hand , you are gonna get your fingers a little juicy at times ( refills if you dont do your wicks 100% and have to guide them in on assembly )
    I have found on the provari , it is TOO well machined , and if you tighten it fully , it can form a hermetic seal on the outer rim of the provari fitting
    ( grrr dammit lol ) if you snug it down you will get NO airflow at all !!!

Will have to consider whether to groove the GP itself , or slot the provari a little ... am leaning towards the provari , as then it will have an airflow if this and other smooth based mods are used ?

I purposefully held off purchasing a custom mod , I couldnt see the value in multiple hundreds of dollars for an atomiser ... The Spheroid works for me at the price ?

Early days , but certainly NOT disappointed
    Last edited by Fatman; 15-10-12 at 02:38 PM.
    Mickg33, Avguy, giruvian and 4 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Hey fatty

I picked up GP v1 #0015 however was fairly newish.

First coil come out at 2.8 so not fantastic. Are you just using kanthal??

Also did you notice any break in period?

I ony used mine for 30 mins so far and wasn't wrapped with it.
    Mods:Silverbullet - JIB Mini - VTube - Alpha Ultra - iTaste - Kick
    Vaping Since May 27th 2012

Super Moderator
    Hi Tiges , I left out mine is a V2 in the above report , will amend
    I have used a triple wick of 2mm silica ( wick folded so in the one length there is a loop and a cut end each side of the coil ( about 20mm long )
    Three wraps of Kanthal D 0.020( 32 AWG) and its giving me 1.9 Ohms .
    Running it on 3.9V ( and thats a little warm , but I like it )
    I find it does take an hour or so of steady vaping on a new coil to reach optimum , but dont take me as an expert cos its only a few hours in use for me so far .
    I looked it over when I first got it , and made the conclusion that more ends of thinner wicks would help the juice get to the coil better .
    Also I made sure my coils were not too tight and choking the wick ... its all about juice flow with this mod ( again just from my limited experience with it and common sense .... the easier the juice gets in the better it will be? )

I reckon get the coil Ohms down a little on a new wrap and it might start working for you ?
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

hey FM, how about fitting a shim to the bottom over the connector to give airflow when snugged down
    bugzme likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Super Moderator
    Nice idea Stonemeister !
    However I will have to look into adjustment of the centre post in the GP as its right on the limit as it is now . I.E. I have to have it fully in to make proper contact with the positive connector on the Provari , presently its sitting tight in a 510/510 adapter and rock solid .
    ( I dunno , I always like to get at least a day out of something before disassembly and I F$#@ it up LOL )

AVF Regular
    Yeah its just about how much wire you use as to the ohms you end up with, and type off wire. But assuming your using 32awg kanthal then use less coils, closer together. 2.8 ohm on an ego wouldnt be much chop, play around til you get around 1.8 ohms and you will be fine.

Super Moderator
    After two hours of solid use my newly wound 1.9 Ohm coil has cruised on down to 1.7 and is stable and niiiiiice

Super Moderator
    Nice fatman! i've been tempted to try a spheroid but i don't know what i'd use it on. I wonder how it'd go with an SS wick instead of the FG/Silica wicks....

AVF Regular
    That's not normal, your resistance should increase as it gets gummed up, not drop.

Hey Fatty,

You are using too much wick mate, hence you are struggling to get your coil down to 1.5 ohms or so. I use 2x4cm of 2mm silica, 32 gauge Nichrome (FYI Nichome seems to work better with Silica wick than Kanthal) 4 wraps and I always get between 1.4-1.6 ohms. Spheroid in this set up above for me is a HOT STUFF mate Luveeeeeeeeeeee Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt

PS: I use Spheroid much more than my DID or DIDn't these days
    b874 likes this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast