Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Confused and too slow to post lol

AVF Regular

Confused and too slow to post lol

I don't think the Gruffys and I were really "driving" the price up... I think because we kind of get to understand each others style and personality through the forum that a minor misunderstanding arose... I took it that MrGruffy would sooner buy the mod at that price than see it haggled away, so I offered $1 more but would not have been offended if I was rightly told to wait my turn..... Sales generally go to the 1st acceptable offer and/or to the 1st offer that meets the asking price...

MrGruffy in his big heartedness stepped aside so that I might buy it, I didn't realise he really wanted it. As for the rest of the goings on $115 including shipping was viewed as a "you're dreaming" kind of offer but longer standing members were happy to give the newer member a fair chance to make a fair offer and sort it out with the seller and were happy to see the newer member got it. It was just unfortunate that he didn't pay when stated or confirm the funds went through.... As it turns out Cruz was happy to give it to him cheaper just to finalise the sale quickly and I later paid what I bid for it when the sale fell through.

Lots of for sale threads get more than one offer/bid, or requests to split a sale or offer a trade.. at the end of the day it is the seller's choice and is within the rules as they currently stand

I fail to see the wrong doing as all involved were making genuine offers on the item.... only difference was that we were all happy to make allowances for the new guy to step up and MrGruffy graciously stepped aside for me and I suspect it was because he knows my Provari is having issues at the moment.

I am all for fair play but if I am missing the point or looking at this subject from a different angle as far as rules and manners go please let me know

Edit: This is probably in the wrong place but the sales thread seemed the most apt as it was written in reply to Neo's comment in a for sale thread that closed before I could hit the post button and I would love to know where my logic and morals are failing on this topic and Neo's in box is full
    Last edited by GirlyPantz; 06-05-13 at 04:38 AM.
    gregds and cruzmiguel like this.

GP, I had to close the FS thread as it wasnt really the right place to discuss it..
    like you, I didnt think Mr.G was driving the price up, more to me as a light hearted comment of disapproval to a low balling buyer's reply.

I dont really see the point of anybody involved with the sale getting criticized.. it was suppose to be just a regular FS thread.
    In my opinion, the item sale was rightfully yours as Mr.G, after being asked, graciously stepped aside for you, that was even before I had to give priority to bully, as classifieds rules dictate.

heck, even bully was treated fairly and politely during the course of the sale.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

I probably am missing something here but .. cruz wanted a quick sale and quoted a price, someone offered $20 (and postage) less than asking price, anyone has a right to offer more than that up to the asking price... not wait until haggling is done ffs.
    you offered $1 more .. now normally the gruffys should be able to arm wave and swear and tell you to feck off but I actually thought the bid was real but .. forced, so to speak.
    In which case, you making a 'real' bid at basically the same price was fine, you only won it as the gruffys stepped aside after all as you had a fairly desperate need for one.
    I know how OCD you are about having a functioning and fingerprint free provari, lol.

I blame the gruffy kingdom for being so damn tongue in cheek confusing the issue slightly.
    I also hope they never change.

no foul here GP.
    GirlyPantz likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

and cruz posted same time as me and looks like we saw it pretty much eye to eye..
    GirlyPantz likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

I should experiment my theory on this..

>Wait till something good is FS
    > Wait till someone says they'll buy it
    > Put in an offer of $5 more to try and snag it from them

lets see what the outcome will be I bet the OP would be happy to make an extra $5 than sell it for $5 less. Either that or it will turn into a full auction, with the original person who said they wanted to buy it, Increasing his price to beat mine.
    This is;
    1) Driving prices up (Behaviour like this provokes shill bidding or a friend doing this to increase prices beyond the asking price)
    2) A form of Auction
    3) Snagging items from other members.

All bad form...... When in reality, I should not do that and wait to see if he backs out as I was too slow... If I missed out, tuff luck, Lurk more.

Even if he offered $10 under the asking price, maybe he might like to increase his offer. He was there first.
    We shouldnt be seeing members jumping in saying "Ain't going to happen" Maybe the OP wanted a fast smooth transaction and might settle for $10 less.

The only time when low balling isn't permitted in my eyes is if the OP said "Non negotiable - Prices are firm"
    Last edited by neofelis; 06-05-13 at 06:04 AM.

AVF Regular
    Yeah personally I felt everyone was very gracious about the sale... even bully seemed to think so at the time.... MrGruffy was well within his rights to keep the sale as he was the 1st to offer the asking price but he kindly waited for bully and then gave me 1st option.... I am so pleased another Provari came up so quickly and that MrGruffy was able to get it. That is why Neo's post confused me soooooo much... nobody got pushed out... quiet the opposite in fact

No one got pushed out, bully had enough time to pay and increase his bid AFAIK - Yet he didn't. So he lost out on the sale.

He also seems quite ethnic too so maybe he doesn't understand how we roll around here. I'm getting a new provari in about 3 weeks time (Just got a V2.5 the other day), Ill then try sell him my V1 Chrome for a price he can afford ~$105 or so.

Its just a provari to me, I can get an endless supply just 20 mins from my house.
    Last edited by neofelis; 06-05-13 at 06:11 AM.

The opposite applies in my mind. Even if the OP states 'negotiable'.
    you can offer less than asking price, but expect someone to cut your lunch.

only you saw this as a bidding war as both mine and cruz's posts concur.

its none of your business here anyway, you where not involved apart from trolling as usual.

you offer $5 more than sale price .. LOL, never gonna happen..
    bevoh likes this.

LOL, very right $5 more around here would almost make it cost price.
    fifthflo likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by neofelis View Post
    I should experiment my theory on this..

>Wait till something good is FS
    > Wait till someone says they'll buy it
    > Put in an offer of $5 more to try and snag it from them

lets see what the outcome will be I bet the OP would be happy to make an extra $5 than sell it for $5 less. Either that or it will turn into a full auction, with the original person who said they wanted to buy it, Increasing his price to beat mine.
    This is;
    1) Driving prices up (Behaviour like this provokes shill bidding or a friend doing this to increase prices beyond the asking price)
    2) A form of Auction
    3) Snagging items from other members.

All bad form...... When in reality, I should not do that and wait to see if he backs out as I was too slow... If I missed out, tuff luck, Lurk more.

Even if he offered $10 under the asking price, maybe he might like to increase his offer. He was there first.
    We shouldnt be seeing members jumping in saying "Ain't going to happen" Maybe the OP wanted a fast smooth transaction and might settle for $10 less.

The only time when low balling isn't permitted in my eyes is if the OP said "Non negotiable - Prices are firm"

Neo, it was a genuine bid, it was only a token increase of $1... I am quiet satisfied it wasn't a "shill bid" especially since MrGruffy bought the very next one that was for sale.

anyway that aside......

If people are not allowed to offer the asking price for an item after someone low-balls it, what's to stop the for sale section filling with time wasters putting the thumb-screws on our sellers...

I do take your point about shills but it's a fine balance and the rules state....

Classifieds Rules

1) The ONLY thing that should be PM'ed between both parties concerned is personal details and banking/paypal details.
    ALL BIDS OR OFFERS FOR THE ITEM are to be IN THE THREAD and not in a PM
    Zero tolerance .. thread deleted. Temporary ban on reoffending.
    2) Location is MANDATORY within your profile to participate AT ALL in the classifieds.. Zero tolerance, post deleted.
    3) Post count minimum is not currently possible with the forum software, however people ONLY here to snap up a bargain without contributing to AVF in any other way will be politely (or not) told to **** off.
    4) There is no obligation to accept offers from overseas buyers whatsoever, except at sellers discretion. This is an Australian forum after all.
    5) Off topic and non constructive posts in for sale threads are generally frowned upon, unless its relevant. Refrain from posting.
    6) No sales using the PayPal gift option. ALL sales made using PayPal must be via the 'goods' option in PayPal. This provides a level of protection for both buyer and seller. Thread deleted, temporary ban on ignoring this.

There isn't even anything in there that states the 1st person to post gets 1st preference, that is simply a cultural thing..... Do we need to look at modifying the rules and how would we implement it in a way that is fair on all parties?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast